Results of measuring the fluxes of solar energetic particles and methods of their interpretation
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Reliability and credibility of the results of measurements of the fluxes of protons and heavy ions of solar energetic particles, carried out with various experimental methods, are studied, as well as the methods of description of obtained data with various model functions of energy spectra. We analyze the results of measuring the fluxes of heavy ions of solar cosmic rays with the use of solid-state track detectors in the experiments Astro (April 1981, Salyut-6 spacecraft) and Platan-3 (1988–1989, Mir orbital station) and compare them with the results of experiments VLET and CRT made onboard the IMP-8 satellite. Special emphasis is made on the analysis of results obtained with instruments SIS and ULEIS (ACE), and of results of measuring the fluxes of helium ions by the instrument EPEAD on GOES satellites. We also discuss the problem of fitting experimental data about SCR fluxes by different functions of energy (momentum, velocity) of particles. Such an approximation is a basis for interpreting the results of measurements. Numerous systematic errors are revealed that are typical for the results of measurements of the fluxes of SCR particles, performed with different instruments onboard Earth-orbiting satellites and other space vehicles.
- Mottl, D., Nymmik, R., and Sladkova, A., Spectra of Solar Energetic Protons Derived from Statistical Analysis of Experimental Data on Large Set of Events, Proc. 27th ICRC, 2001, p. 3183.
- Mottl, D., Nymmik, R. (2003) Errors in the Particle Flux Measurement Data Relevant to Solar Energetic Particle Spectra. Adv. Space Res. 32: pp. 2349 CrossRef
- Mottl, D.A., Nymmik, R.A. (2003) Energy Spectra of Solar Cosmic Rays: Reality and Myths. Izv. Ros. Akad. Nauk, Ser. Fiz. 67: pp. 466-469
- Mottl, D., Nymmik, R. (2007) The Issues of Reliability of Solar Energetic Proton Flux Databases and Models. Adv. Space Res. 39: pp. 1355 CrossRef
- Smart, D.F., Shea, M.A. (1999) Comment on the Use of GOES Solar Proton Data and Spectra in Solar Dose Calculation. Radiation Measurements 30: pp. 327 CrossRef
- Freier, P.S., Webber, W.R. (1963) Exponential Rigidity Spectrums for Solar-Flare Cosmic Rays. J. Geophys. Res. 68: pp. 1605 CrossRef
- Price, P.B., Chan, J.H., Crawford, H.J., and Sullivan, J.H., Systematic of Heavy Ion Enhancement in Solar Flares, Proc. 13th ICRC, 1973, p. 1479.
- Ellison, D.C., Ramaty, R. (1985) Shock Acceleration of Electrons and Ions in Solar Flares. Astrophys. J. 298: pp. 400 CrossRef
- Nymmik, R.A. (1999) Probabilistic Model for Fluences and Peak Fluxes of Solar Energetic Particles. Radiation Measurements 30: pp. 287 CrossRef
- Nymmik, R.A. (1999) The Problems of Cosmic Ray Particle Simulation for the Near-Earth Orbital and Interplanetary Flight Conditions. Radiation Measurements 30: pp. 669 CrossRef
- Tylka, A.J., Cohen, C.M., Dietrich, W.F. (2005) Shock Geometry, Seed Populations, and the Origin of Variable Elemental Composition at High Energies in Large Gradual Solar Particle Events. Astrophys. J. 625: pp. 474 CrossRef
- Mewaldt, R.A., Cohen, C.M., Haggerty, D.K., et al., The Charge-To-Mass Dependence of Solar Energetic Particle Spectral Breaks, Proc. 30th ICRC, 2007, vol. 1, p. 99.
- Vedeshin, L.N., Nymmik, R.A., Rapoport, I.D., Titenkov, A.F. (1973) Investigation of Cosmic Rays on the Interkosmos-6 Satellite. Vestn. Akad. Nauk SSSR 11: pp. 59
- Nymmik, R.A. (1981) Observation of Electrons with Energies ≥1012 eV in Primary Cosmic Rays. Kosm. Issled. 19: pp. 884
- Chang, J., Adams, J.H., Ahn, H.S. (2008) An Excess of Cosmic Ray Electrons at Energies of 300–800 GeV. Nature 456: pp. 362 CrossRef
- Nymmik, R.A. (1991) Daily Variations of the Boundaries of Geomagnetic Penetration and Penetration Functions. Kosm. Issled. 29: pp. 491
- Nymmik, R.A., Panasyuk, M.I., Petrukhin, V.V., Yushkov, B.Yu. (2009) A Method of Calculation of Vertical Cutoff Rigidity in the Geomagnetic Field. Kosm. Issled. 47: pp. 211-218
- Bobrovskaya, V.V., Gorchakov, E.V., Grigorov, N.L. (1984) Fluxes of Low-Energy Nuclei of S, N, and O in Orbit of Salyut-6. Kosm. Issled. 22: pp. 310
- Gagarin, Yu.F., Marenny, A.M., Nymmik, R.A., Panasyuk, M.I. (1998) Heavy Particle Fluxes in Salyut Space Station Orbit. Adv. Space Res. 21: pp. 1699 CrossRef
- Mazur, J.E., Mason, G.M., Klecker, B. (1993) The Abundance of Hydrogen, Helium, Oxygen and Iron Accelerated in Large Solar Particle Events. Astrophys. J. 404: pp. 810 CrossRef
- Baranov, D.G., Dergachev, V.A., Gagarin, Yu.F., et al., About the Energy Spectra of Solar Energetic Particle Event Heavy Ions, Proc. 27th ICRC, 2001, p. 3181.
- Tylka, A.J., Dietrich, W. (1999) IMP-8 Observations of Spectra, Composition, and Variability of Solar Heavy Ions at High Energies Relevant to Manned Space Missions. Radiation Measurements 30: pp. 345 CrossRef
- Tylka, A.J., Lee, M. A. (2006) A Model for Spectral and Compositional Variability at High Energies in Large, Gradual Solar Particle Events. Astrophys. J. 646: pp. 1319 CrossRef
- ISO 15390, International Standard: Space Environment (Natural and Artificial)—Galactic Cosmic Ray Model, 2004.
- Results of measuring the fluxes of solar energetic particles and methods of their interpretation
Volume 49, Issue 6 , pp 469-476
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors