Formation of large-scale vortices in shear flows of the lower atmosphere of the earth in the region of tropical latitudes
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The paper is devoted to studying the mechanisms of formation of cyclones in the Earth’s atmosphere with the help of numerical modeling using the complete system of gas-dynamic equations. The results of modeling have shown that cyclones can appear in horizontal stratified shear flows of warm and wet air masses with horizontal direction of gradients of the wind velocity components as a result of small disturbances of pressure which can be produced by Rossby waves.
- Moiseev, S.S., Rutkevich, P.B., Tur, A.V., and Yanovskii, V.V., Vortex Dynamo in Convective Medium with Spiral Turbulence, Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz., 1988, vol. 94, no. 2, pp. 144–153.
- Lupyan, E.A., Mazurov, A.A., Rutkevich, P.B., and Tur, A.V., Generation of Large-Scale Vortices under the Action of Spiral Turbulence of Convective Nature, Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz., 1992, no. 5(11), pp. 1540–1552
- Lupyan, E.A., Mazurov, A.A., Rutkevich, P.B., and Tur, A.V., Scenarios of Development of Large-Scale Vortices in the Atmosphere, Dokl. Akad. Nauk, 1993, vol. 329, no. 6, pp. 720–722.
- Rutkevich, P.B. and Moiseev, S.S., Evolution and Steady State of a Large-Scale Vortex Structure, Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz., 1996, vol. 109, no. 5, pp. 1634–1644.
- Rutkevich, P.B., Equation of Vortex Instability Caused by Convective Turbulence and Coriolis Force, Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz., 1993, vol. 104, no. 6(12), pp. 4010–4020.
- Challa, M. and Pfeffer, R., Formation of Atlantic Hurricanes from Cloud Clusters and Depressions, J. Atmos. Sci., 1990, vol. 47, p. 909. CrossRef
- Montgomery, M. and Farrell, B., Tropical Cyclone Formation, J. Atmos. Sci., 1993, vol. 50, p. 285. CrossRef
- Sharkov, E.A., Physical Mechanism of Genesis of Vortex Perturbations in Compressible Atmosphere Saturated with Water Vapor, Preprint of Space Research Institute, Russ. Acad. Sci.,, Moscow, 2004, no. 2102.
- Rotunno, R. and Emanuel, K.A., An Air-Sea Interaction Theory for Tropical Cyclones. Part II, J. Atmos. Sci., 1987, vol. 44, pp. 542–561. CrossRef
- Emanuel, K.A., Genesis and Maintenance of “Mediterranean Hurricanes”, Advances in Geosciences, 2005, vol. 2, pp. 217–220. CrossRef
- Belotserkovskii, O.M., Mingalev, V.S., Mingalev, O.V., and Oparin, A.M., On a Mechanism of Origination of a Large-Scale Vortex in the Troposphere over Irregularly Heated Surface, Dokl. Akad. Nauk, 2006, vol. 410, no. 6, pp. 816–820.
- Obukhov, A.M., Turbulentnost’ i dinamika atmosfery (Turbulence and Atmospheric Dynamics), Leningrad: Gidrometeoizdat, 1988.
- Mingalev, I.V. and Mingalev, V.S., A Model of General Circulation of the Earth’s Lower and Middle Atmosphere at a Specified Temperature Distribution, Mat. Model., 2005, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 24–40.
- Trotsenko, A.N. and Fomin, B.A., Calculation of Characteristics of Thermal Radiation Transport Based on the Direct Integration Method, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Fiz. Atm. Okeana, 1989, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 106–109.
- Belotserkovskii, O.M., Andrushchenko, V.A., and Shevelev, Yu.D., Dinamika prostranstvennykh vikhrevykh techenii v neodnorodnoi atmosfere. Vychislitel’nyi eksperiment (Dynamics of Spatial Eddy Flows in the Inhomogeneous Atmosphere: A Numerical Experiment), Moscow: Yanus-K, 2000.
- Oparin, A.M., Numerical Modeling of the Problems Associated with Intense Development of Hydrodynamic Instabilities, in Novoe v chislennom modelirovanii: algoritmy, vychislitel’nyi eksperiment, rezul’taty (New Issues in Numerical Simulations: Algorithms, Computing Experiment, and Results), Moscow: Nauka, 2000.
- Belotserkovskii, O.M., Kraginskii, L.M., and Oparin, A.M., Numerical Simulation of Three-Dimensional Flows in Stratified Atmosphere Caused by Strong Large-Scale Disturbances, Zh. Vychisl. Mat. i Mat. Fiz., 2003, vol. 43,issue 11, pp. 1744–1758.
- Belotserkovskii, O.M., Gushchin, V.A., and Kon’shin, V.N., Splitting Method for Studying the Flows of Stratified Liquid with a Free Surface, Zh. Vychisl. Mat. i Mat. Fiz., 1987, vol. 27, p. 594.
- Picone, J.M., Hedin, A.E., Drob, D.P., and Aikin, A.C., NRLMSISE-00 Empirical Model of the Atmosphere: Statistical Comparisons and Scientific Issues, J. Geophys. Res., 2002, vol. 107, no. A12, pp. 1468–1483. CrossRef
- Formation of large-scale vortices in shear flows of the lower atmosphere of the earth in the region of tropical latitudes
Volume 47, Issue 6 , pp 466-479
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Design Automation, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, Russia
- 2. Polar Geophysical Institute, Kola Science Center of Russian Academy of Sciences, Apatity, Russia
- 3. Keldysh Institute of Applied Mathematics, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, Russia