Isolation and purification of human blood plasma proteins able to form potassium channels in artificial bilayer lipid membrane
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A protein fraction able to induce K+-selective transport across a bilayer lipid membrane was isolated from human blood plasma with the use of the detergent- and proteolytic enzyme-free method developed in our laboratory. After addition of the studied sample to the artificial membrane in the presence of 100 mM KCl, a discrete current change was observed. No channel activity was recorded in the presence of calcium and sodium ions. Channel-forming activity of the fraction was observed only in the presence of K+. Using a threefold gradient of KCl in the presence of studied proteins, a potassium-selective potential balanced by voltage of −29 mV was registered. This value is very close to the theoretical Nernst potential in this case. This means that the examined ion channel is cation-selective. According to the data obtained with MS-MALDI-TOF/TOF and NCBI database, three protein components were identified in the isolated sample.
- K. D. Garlid and P. Paucek, Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1606(1–3), 23 (2003).
- L. Aguilar-Bryan and J. Bryan, Endocr. Rev. 20(2), 101 (1999). CrossRef
- S. Sethi, J. D. Theis, S. M. Shiller, et al., Kidney Int. 81(2), 201–6 (2012). CrossRef
- B. Rau, M. K. Schilling, and H. G. Beger, Dig Dis. 22, 247 (2004). CrossRef
- P. Hilliquin, Cell Mol. Biol. 41, 993 (1995).
- P. Barter, A. M. Gotto, J. C. LaRosa, et al., N. Engl. J. Med. 357, 1301 (2007). CrossRef
- M. P. Iqbal, K. A. Kazmi, N. Mehboobali, and A. Rahbar, Clin. Cardiol. 27(3), 144 (2004). CrossRef
- M. Yu. Alekseev, N. I. Fedotcheva, G. D. Mironova, and M. N. Kondrashova, Biol. Nauki, no. 11, 28 (1976).
- U. K. Laemmli, Nature 227, 680 (1970). CrossRef
- P. Mueller, D. O. Rudin, H. D. Tien, and W. C. Wescott, J. Phys. Chem. 67, 534 (1963).
- R. K. Benz, K. Janko, and P. Lauger, Biochim. Biophys. Acta 551, 238 (1979).
- N. Bailey, Mathematics in Biology and Medicine (Mir, Moscow, 1970) [in Russian].
- J. Folch, M. Lees, and G. H. Sloane Stanley, J. Biol. Chem. 226(1), 497 (1957).
- A. G. Komarov, B. H. Graham, W. J. Craigen, and M. Colombini, Biophys. J. 86, 152 (2004). CrossRef
- P. Majek, Z. Reicheltova, J. Suttnar, et al., J. Transl. Med. 9, 84 (2011). CrossRef
- A. Tumblin, A. Tailor, G. T. Hoehn, et al., Haematologica 95(9), 1467 (2010). CrossRef
- G. S. Getz and C. A. Reardon, J. Inflamm. Res. 4, 83 (2011). CrossRef
- T. L. Lewis, D. Cao, H. Lu, et al., J. Biol. Chem. 285(47), 36958 (2010). CrossRef
- Isolation and purification of human blood plasma proteins able to form potassium channels in artificial bilayer lipid membrane
Volume 57, Issue 5 , pp 621-627
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links
- channel activity
- blood plasma proteins
- bilayer lipid membrane
- MS-MALDI-TOF/TOF analysis
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Theoretical and Experimental Biophysics, Russian Academy of Sciences, Pushchino, Moscow Region, 142290, Russia
- 3. Research & Industrial and Medical & Biological Center «INDIVID», Moscow, 111123, Russia
- 2. Pushchino State Institute of Natural Sciences, Pushchino, Moscow Region, 142290, Russia