Edge waves under ice cover at a straight coast with a sloping beach
- S. V. Muzylev
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Edge waves in an ice-covered sea at a straight coast with a sloping beach are analyzed within the linearized theory. Such waves propagate along the coast with an amplitude which exponentially decays offshore. The problem is examined without using the hydrostatic assumption. The seawater is considered to be a homogeneous, inviscid, nonrotating, and incompressible fluid. Ice with a uniform thickness is considered, with constant values of density, cylindrical rigidity, Poisson ratio, and compressive stress in the ice. The normal velocity at the bottom is zero; the linearized kinematic and dynamic boundary conditions are satisfied at the lower surface of the ice. Explicit solutions for the edge flexural-gravity waves and the corresponding dispersion equations are obtained and analyzed.
- A. Gill, Atmosphere-Ocean Dynamics (Academic, New York, 1982; Mir, Moscow, 1986).
- V. V. Efimov, E. A. Kulikov, A. B. Rabinovich, and I. V. Fain, Ocean Boundary Waves (Gidrometeoizdat, Leningrad, 1985) [in Russian].
- N. E. Kochin, I. A. Kibel’, and N. V. Roze, Theoretical Hydrodynamics (Fizmatgiz, Moscow, 1963; Interscience, New York, 1964), Part 1.
- A. A. Kurkin and E. N. Pelinovsky, Freak Waves: Facts, Theory, and Modeling (NGTU, Nizhnii Novgorod, 2004) [in Russian].
- L. D. Landau and E. M. Lifshits, Theory of Elasticity (Nauka, Moscow, 1965; Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1986).
- P. Le Blond and L. Mysak, Waves in the Ocean: (Elsevier, Amsterdam 1978; Mir, Moscow, 1981).
- A. Marchenko, “Flexural Gravity Waves,” Trudy IOFAN 56, 65–111 (1999).
- S. V. Muzylev and A. B. Odulo, “Waves in a Rotating Stratified Fluid off a Sloping Beach,” Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR 250(2), 331–335 (1980).
- Surface and Internal Waves in the Arctic Seas, Ed. by I. V. Lavrenov and E. G. Morozov (Gidrometeoizdat, St. Petersburg, 2002) [in Russian].
- A. B. Rabinovich, Long Gravity Waves in the Ocean: Trapping, Resonance, and Leaking (Gidrometeoizdat, St. Petersburg, 1993) [in Russian].
- L. A. Timokhov and D. E. Kheisin, Dynamics of Sea Ice (Mathematical Models) (Gidrometeoizdat, Leningrad, 1987) [in Russian].
- D. E. Kheisin, Dynamics of Ice Cover (Gidrometeoizdat, Leningrad, 1967) [in Russian; English translation available at US Army Foreign Science and Technology Center, technical translation FSTC-HT-23-485-69].
- C. Eckart, Surface Waves in Water of Variable Depth (Mar. Phys. Lab., Scripps Inst. Oceanogr, Wave Rep. no. 100, 1951).
- A. G. Greenhill, “Wave Motion in Hydrodynamics,” Am. J. Math. 9, 62–112 (1887). CrossRef
- P. D. Komar, Beach Processes and Sedimentation (Prentice-Hall, 1998).
- A. K. Liu and E. Mollo-Christensen, “Wave Propagation in a Solid Ice Pack,” J. Phys. Oceanogr. 18(11), 1702–1712 (1988). CrossRef
- E. Mollo-Christensen, “Edge Waves As a Cause of Ice Rideup Onshore,” J. Geophys. Res. 88(C5), 296–2970 (1983).
- S. V. Muzylev, S. N. Bulgakov, and M. Duran-Matute, “Edge Capillary-Gravity Waves on a Sloping Beach,” Phys. Fluids 17(4) (2005).
- J. Pedlosky, Waves in the Ocean and Atmosphere (Springer, 2003).
- A. S. Peters, “Water Waves over Sloping Beaches and the Solution of a Mixed Boundary Value Problem for Δϕ − k 2ϕ = 0 in a Sector,” Commun. Pure Appl. Math. 5, 87–108 (1952).
- M. Roseau, “Short Waves Parallel to the Shore over a Sloping Beach,” Commun. Pure Appl. Math. 11, 433–493 (1958).
- V. A. Squire, J. P. Dugan, P. Wadhams, et al., “Of Ocean Waves and Sea Ice,” Ann. Rev. Fluid Mech. 27, 115–168 (1995). CrossRef
- G. G. Stokes, “Report on Recent Researches in Hydrodynamics,” in Math. and Phys. Papers of G.G. Stokes (University Press, Cambridge, 1880), Vol. 1, pp. 157–187.
- F. Ursell, “Edge Waves on a Sloping Beach,” Proc. R. Soc. London A214, 79–97 (1952).
- W. E. Williams, “Waves on a Sloping Beach,” Proc. Philos. Soc. Cambridge 57, 160–165 (1961). CrossRef
- Edge waves under ice cover at a straight coast with a sloping beach
Volume 46, Issue 4 , pp 465-471
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- S. V. Muzylev (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Shirshov Institute of Oceanology, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, Russia