Variations in the atmospheric aerosol optical depth from the data obtained at the Russian actinometric network in 1976–2006
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The results of an analysis of variations in the optical depth of a vertical atmospheric column on the basis of a 30-year (1976–2006) series of observations obtained by the Russian actinometric network are generalized. This analysis is based on the Atmosphere Transparency special-purpose database created at the Voeikov Main Geophysical Observatory on the basis of observational data obtained at the actinometric stations of the Russian Hydrometeorological Research Center. The general regularities of spatial variations in the atmospheric optical depth (AOD) over Russia are revealed: there is a monotonic decrease from the southwest to the northeast, with localized areas having different aerosol loads due to the global and regional factors of their formation. A spatiotemporal structure of the anomalies of AOD annual values within the time interval under consideration, including the El Chichon (1982) and Pinatubo (1991) eruptions, is studied.
- Contribution to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. 3rd Assessment Report Climate Change 2001: the Physical Sciense Basis. Cambridge Univ., UK, New York
- Contribution to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. 4th Assessment Report of Climate Change: The Physical Science Basis. Cambridge Univ., UK, New York
- Effects of Warming in Arctic (Cambridge Univ., Edinburg, 2004), p. 140.
- Isaev, A. A. (2001) Ecological Climatology. Nauchn. Mir, Moscow
- WCRP (World Climate Research Programme), http://www.wmo.ch/pages/prog/wcrp/pdf/pdf/bsrn8rpt.pdf.
- Aerosol Robotic Network, http://aeronet.gsfc.nasa.gov/cgibin/type_piece_of_map_opera_v2_new.
- Holben, B. N., Eck, T. F., Slutsker, I. (1998) AERONET: a Federated Instrument Network and Data Archive for Aerosol Characterization. Rem. Sens. Envir. 66: pp. 1-16 CrossRef
- Smirnov, A., Holben, V. N., Ranshenko, M. V. (2006) Aerosol Robotic Network Activity in Russia, Moldova, Estonia, Belarus, and Ukraine as an Example of the Mutually Beneficial Collaborative Effort Results and Prospective. Proc. of the Intern. Symp. of SNG Countries on Atmospheric Radiation MSAR-2006. St.-Petersb. Gos. Univ., St.-Petersburg, pp. 9-10
- I. N. Plakhina, E. L. Makhotkina, and N. V. Pankratova, “Variation of Atmosphere Aerosol Optical Thickness in Russia Territory in Last 30 Years: Season Changes and Multiyears Trens,” Meteorol. Gidrol., No. 2, 19–29 (2007).
- Plakhina, I. N., Makhotkina, E. L. (2007) Analysis of Time Changes of Atmosphere Transparency by Data of Actinometric Network. Proc. of the Intern. Symp. on Atmosphere Physics, Science and Education. St.-Petersb. Gos. Univ., St.-Petersburg, pp. 65-68
- Luts’ko, L. V., Makhotkina, E. L., Klevantsova, V. A. (2001) Development of Surface Actinometric Measurements. Modern Studies of Main Geophysical Observatory. Gidrometeoizdat, St. Petersburg, pp. 184-202
- Makhotkina, E. L., Lukin, A. B., Plakhina, I. N. (2007) Monitoring of Integral Atmosphere Transparency. Proc. of the All-Russ. Conf. on Development of Monitoring System of Atmosphere Structure (RSMSA). Maks Press, Moscowpp. 104
- T. A. Tarasova and E. V. Yarkho, “Determination of Atmosphere Aerosol Optical Thickness by Measurements of Direct Integral Radiation,” Meteorol. Gidrol., No. 12, 66–71 (1991).
- Yarkho, E. V. (1994) Time Variability of Atmosphere Aerosol Optical Thickness in Different Climate Zones. Izv. Akad. Nauk, Fiz. Atmos. Okeana 30: pp. 417-424
- Abakumova, G. M., Gorbarenko, E. V., Chubarova, N. E. (2006) Estimation of Determination Accuracy of Atmosphere Aerosol Optical Thickness and Moisture Content by Data of Standart Observations on the Base of Comparison with Measurements by Solar Photometer SIMEL. Proc. of the Intern. Symp. of SNG Countries on Atmospheric Radiation MSAR-2006, 27–30 June 2006. St.-Petersb. Gos. Univ., St.-Petersburg, pp. 43-44
- Rodionov, V. F., Marshunova, M. S., Rusina, E. N. (1994) Aerosol Turbidity of Atmosphere in Polar Regions. Izv. RAN, Fiz. Atmos. Okeana 30: pp. 797-801
- E. N. Rusina and V. F. Rodionov, “Estimation of Preindustrial Atmosphere Optical Thickness in Arctic in Modern Contribution of Antropogeneous Discharges,” Meteorol. Gidrol., No. 5, 35–39 (2002).
- G. M. Abakumova, “Tendency of Multiyears Changes of Atmosphere Transparency, Cloud Amount, Solar Radiation and Albedo of Covering Surface in Moscow,” Meteorol. Gidrol., No. 9, 51–62 (2000).
- E. V. Gorbarenko, “Aerosol Component of Atmosphere Optical Thickness like Feature of Antropogeneous Pollution above Industrial Centers,” Meteorol. Gidrol., No. 3, 12–18 (1997).
- Erokhina, A. E., Lukin, A. B., Gorbarenko, E. V. (2004) Some Tendencies of Changes of Atmosphere Aerosol Optical Turbidity in Russia. Proc. of the MSAR-2004. St.-Petersb. Gos. Univ., St.-Petersburg, pp. 61-62
- Abakumova, G. M., Feigelson, E. M., Russak, V. (1996) Evaluation of Long-Term Changes in Radiation Cloudness and Surface Temperature on the Territory of the Former Soviet Union. J. Clim. 9: pp. 1319-1327 CrossRef
- KVERT (Kamshatkan Volcanic Eruption Response Team), http://www.kscnet.ru/ivs/kvert/volcanoes/index.html.
- Contribution to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. 4th Assessment Report of Climate Change: The Physical Science Basis, Changes in Atmospheric Constituents and in Radiative Forcing. Cambridge Univ., UK, New York
- Hofmann, D., Barnes, J., Dutton, E. (2003) Surface-Based Observations of Volcanic Emissions to the Stratosphere. Volcanism and the Earths Atmosphere, Geophys. Monogr. 139, Ed. by A. Robock and C. Oppenheimer. AGU, Washington, DC, pp. 57-73
- Stothers, R. (2001) A Chronology of Annual Mean Radii of Stratospheric Aerosol from Volcanic Eruptions During the Twentieth Century as Derived from Ground-Based Spectral Extinction Measurements. J. Geophys. Res. 106: pp. 32043-32049 CrossRef
- Stothers, R. (2001) Major Optical Depth Perturbations to the Stratosphere from Volcanic Eruptions: Stellar Extinction Period, 1961–1978. J. Geophys. Res. 106: pp. 2993-3003 CrossRef
- L. Thomason and T. Peter, “Assessment of Stratospheric Aerosol Properties,” in Report on the Assessment Kick-Off Workshop (France, Paris, 2001), SPARC Report No. 4, WCRP-124, WMO.2006, http://www.aero.jussieu.fr.
- Sato, M., Hansen, J. E., McCormick, M. P. (1993) Stratospheric Aerosol Optical Depths, 1850–1990. J. Geophys. Res. 98: pp. 22987-22994 CrossRef
- Stenchikov, G. L., Kirchner, I., Robock, A. (1998) Radioactive Forcing from the 1991 Mount Pinatubo Volcanic Eruption. J. Geophys. Res. 103: pp. 13837-13857 CrossRef
- Hansen, J., Sato, M., Nazarenko, L. (2002) Climate Forcings in Goddard Institute for Space Studies SI2000 Simulations. J. Geophys. Res. 107: pp. 4347 CrossRef
- Ammann, C. M., Meehl, G. A., Washington, W. M. (2003) Amonthly and Latitudinally Varying Volcanic Forcing Dataset in Simulations of 20th Century Climate. Geophys. Rev. Lett. 30: pp. 1657 CrossRef
- Stenchikov, G., Hamilton, K., Stouffer, R. J. (2006) Arctic Oscillation Response To Volcanic Eruptions in the IPCC AR4 Climate Models. J. Geophys. Res. 111: pp. D07107 CrossRef
- Variations in the atmospheric aerosol optical depth from the data obtained at the Russian actinometric network in 1976–2006
Izvestiya, Atmospheric and Oceanic Physics
Volume 45, Issue 4 , pp 456-466
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links