Assessment of the impact of the planetary scale on the decay of blocking and the use of phase diagrams and enstrophy as a diagnostic
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
It was shown that abrupt changes in the large-scale structure of atmospheric flows may lead to the rapid decay of blocking. Analysis of phase diagrams made it possible to identify when sharp changes occurred in the dynamics of the system. The connection of these changes to the decay of blocking was estimated for three blocking events in the Southern Hemisphere. In addition to phase diagrams, enstrophy was used as a diagnostic tool for the analysis of blocking events. From the results of this analysis, four scenarios for the decay mechanisms were determined: (i) decay with a lack of synoptic-scale support, (ii) decay with an active role for synoptic processes, and (iii–iv) either of these mechanisms in the interaction with an abrupt change in the character of the planetary-scale flow.
- C. H. Tsou and P. J. Smith, “The Role of Synoptic/Planetary-Scale Interactions during the Development of a Blocking Anticyclone,” Tellus A 42, 174–193 (1990). CrossRef
- M. S. Tracton, “Predictability and Its Relationship to Scale Interaction Processes in Blocking,” Mon. Weather Rev. 118, 1666–1695 (1990). CrossRef
- A. R. Lupo and P. J. Smith, “Planetary and Synoptic-Scale Interactions during the Life Cycle of a Mid-Latitude Blocking Anticyclone over the North Atlantic,” Tellus A 47, 575–596 (1995). CrossRef
- A. R. Lupo, “A Diagnosis of Two Blocking Events That Occurred Simultaneously over the Mid-Latitude Northern Hemisphere,” Mon. Weather Rev. 125, 1801–1823 (1997). CrossRef
- R. F. C. Marques and V. B. Rao, “A Diagnosis of a Long-Lasting Blocking Event over the Southeast Pacific Ocean,” Mon. Weather Rev. 127, 1761–1776 (1999). CrossRef
- S. J. Colucci, “Planetary-Scale Preconditioning for the Onset of Blocking,” J. Atmos. Sci. 58, 933–942 (2001). CrossRef
- J. P. Burkhardt and A. R. Lupo, “The Planetary and Synoptic-Scale Interactions in a Southeast Pacific Blocking Episode Using PV Diagnostics,” J. Atmos. Sci. 62, 1901–1916 (2005). CrossRef
- A. R. Lupo, A. R. Kunz, and J. P. Burkhardt, “Planetary and Synoptic Scale Interactions in Southeast Pacific Blocking Using Potential Vorticity Diagnostics: More Evidence for the Paucity of Wave-Wave Interactions in Southern Hemisphere Blocking,” in Proceedings of the 21st Conference on Weather Analysis and Forecasting/17th Conference on Numerical Weather Prediction (Washington DC, 2005).
- A. R. Lupo, I. I. Mokhov, S. Dostoglou, et al., “The Impact of the Planetary Scale on the Decay of Blocking and the Use of Phase Diagrams and Lyapunov Exponents As a Diagnostic,” in Proceedings of the 21st Conference on Weather Analysis and Forecasting/17th Conference on Numerical Weather Prediction (Washington DC, 2005).
- V. P. Dymnikov and A. N. Filatov, Stability of Large-Scale Atmospheric Processes (Gidrometeoizdat, Leningrad, 1990) [in Russian].
- E. Kalnay and L. O. Merkine, “A Simple Mechanism for Blocking,” J. Atmos. Sci. 38, 2077–2091 (1981). CrossRef
- J. S. Frederiksen, “A Unified Three-Dimensional Instability Theory of the Onset of Blocking and Cyclogenesis,” J. Atmos. Sci. 39, 969–982 (1982).
- G. J. Shutts, “The Propagation of Eddies in Diffluent Jet Streams: Eddy Vorticity Forcing of Blocking Flow Fields,” Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 109, 737–761 (1983).
- S. L. Mullen, “The Local Balances of Vorticity and Heat for Blocking Anticylcones in a Spectral General Circulation Model,” J. Atmos. Sci. 43, 1406–1441 (1986). CrossRef
- S. L. Mullen, “Transient Eddy Forcing and Blocking Flows,” J. Atmos. Sci. 44, 3–22 (1987). CrossRef
- K. Haines and A. J. Holland, “Vacillation Cycles and Blocking in a Channel,” Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 124, 873–897 (1998). CrossRef
- S. J. Colucci and D. P. Baumhefner, “Numerical Prediction of the Onset of Blocking: A Case Study with Forecast Ensembles,” Mon. Weather Rev. 126, 773–784 (1998). CrossRef
- E. Kalnay, et al., “The NCEP/NCAR 40-Year Reanalysis Project,” Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 77, 437–471 (1996). CrossRef
- A. R. Lupo and L. F. Bosart, “An Analysis of a Relatively Rare Case of Continental Blocking,” Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 125, 107–138 (1999). CrossRef
- A. R. Lupo and P. J. Smith, “Climatological Features of Blocking Anticyclones in the Northern Hemisphere,” Tellus A 47, 439–456 (1995). CrossRef
- I. I. Mokhov, “Climate Changes: Analysis of Global Cycles,” Ann. Geophys. 11(Suppl.), 334 (1993).
- I. I. Mokhov, Doctoral Dissertation in Mathematics and Physics (IFA RAN, Moscow, 1995).
- I. I. Mokhov and A. V. Eliseev, “Changes in the Characteristics of the Quasi-Bieenial Oscillation of Zonal Wind and Temperature in the Equatorial Lower Stratosphere,” Izv. Akad. Nauk, Fiz. Atm. Okeana 34, 327–336 (1998) [Izv., Atmos. Ocean. Phys. 34, 291–299 (1998)].
- I. I. Mokhov, A. V. Elieev, and D. V. Khvorost’yanov, “Evolution of the Characteristics of Interannual Climate Variability Associated with the El Niño and La Niña Phenomena,” Izv. Akad. Nauk, Fiz. Atm. Okeana 36, 741–751 (2000) [Izv., Atmos. Ocean. Phys. 36, 681–690 (2000)].
- I. I. Mokhov, D. V. Khvorostyanov, and A. V. Eliseev, “Decadal and Longer-Term Changes in ENSO Characteristics,” Int. J. Climatol. 2, 401–414 (2004). CrossRef
- A. V. Federov, S. L. Harper, S. G. Philander, et al., “How Predictable Is El Niño?,” Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 84, 911–920 (2003). CrossRef
- L. Bengtsson, “Numerical Prediction of Atmospheric Blocking—A Case Study,” Tellus 33, 19–42 (1981).
- A. R. Hansen, “Observational Characteristics of Atmospheric Planetary Waves with Bimodal Amplitude Distributions,” Adv. Geophys. 29, 101–134 (1986).
- R. Shapiro, “Smoothing, Filtering, and Boundary Effects,” Rev. Geophys. 8, 737–761 (1970).
- E. N. Lorenz, “Deterministic Nonperiodic Flow,” J. Atmos. Sci. 20, 130–141 (1963). CrossRef
- J. M. Nese, J. A. Dutton, and R. Wells, “Calculated Attractor Dimensions for Low-Order Spectral Models,” J. Atmos. Sci. 44, 1950–1972 (1987). CrossRef
- A. R. Hansen and A. Sutera, “Planetary Wave Amplitude Bimodality in the Southern Hemisphere,” J. Atmos. Sci. 45, 3771–3783 (1988). CrossRef
- I. I. Mokhov, Diagnostics of the Structure of the Climatic System (Gidrometeoizdat, St. Petersburg, 1993) [in Russian].
- P. Lynch, “Resonant Rossby Wave Triads and the Swinging Spring,” Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 84, 605–616 (2003). CrossRef
- J. G. Charney and J. G. DeVore, “Multiple Flow Equilibria in the Atmosphere and Blocking,” J. Atmos. Sci. 36, 1205–1216 (1979). CrossRef
- S. Yoden, “Bifurcation Properties of Quasi-Geostrophic, Barotropic, Low-Order Model with Topography,” J. meteorol. Soc. Jpn. 63, 535–546 (1985).
- G. Nitsche, C. Kooperberg, and J. M. Wallace, “Is There Evidence of Multiple Equilibria in Planetary-Wave Amplitude?,” J. Atmos. Sci. 51, 314–322 (1994). CrossRef
- G. M. Agayan and I. I. Mokhov, “Quasi-Stationary Fall-Season Regimes of the Atmosphere in the Northern Hemisphere during the PGEP,” Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Fiz. Atmos. Okeana 25, 1150–1156 (1989).
- V. P. Dymnikov, E. V. Kazantsev, and V. V. Kharin, “Information Entropy and Local Lyapunov Exponents of a Barotropic Atmospheric Circulation,” Izv. Akad. Nauk, Fiz. Atm. Okeana 28, 425–432 (1992).
- D. Ruelle, “Characteristic Exponents and Invariant Manifolds in Hilbert Space,” Ann. Math. 115, 243–290 (1982). CrossRef
- P. Constantin, C. Foias, and R. Temam, “Attractors Representing Turbulent Flows,” Mem. Am. Math. Soc. 53 (1985).
- V. P. Dymnikov and E. V. Kazantsev, “Structure of an Attractor Generated by the System of Equations of a Barotropic Atmosphere,” Izv. Akad. Nauk, Fiz. Atm. Okeana 29, 581–595 (1993).
- J. M. Wiedenmann, A. R. Lupo, I. I. Mokhov, and E. A. Tikhonova, “The Climatology of Blocking Anticyclones of the Northern and Southern Hemispheres: Block Intensity As a Diagnostic,” J. Clim. 15 (2002).
- V. P. Dymnikov and A. N. Filatov, “Some Problems of Mathematical Climate Theory” Izv. Akad. Nauk, Fiz. Atm. Okeana 31, 293–303 (1995).
- H. Lejenas and H. Okland, “Characteristics of Northern Hemisphere Blocking As Determined from a Long Time Series of Observational Data,” Tellus A 35, 350–362 (1983). CrossRef
- Assessment of the impact of the planetary scale on the decay of blocking and the use of phase diagrams and enstrophy as a diagnostic
Izvestiya, Atmospheric and Oceanic Physics
Volume 43, Issue 1 , pp 45-51
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links