Interwell excitons in GaAs/AlGaAs double quantum wells and their collective properties
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Luminescence spectra of interwell excitons in GaAs/AlGaAs double quantum wells with electric-field-tilted bands (n-i-n) structures were studied. In these structures the electron and the hole in the interwell exciton are spatially separated between neighboring quantum wells by a narrow AlAs barrier. Under resonant excitation by circularly polarized light the luminescence line of the interwell excitons exhibited appreciable narrowing as their concentration increased and the degree of circular polarization of the photoluminescence increased substantially. Under resonant excitation by linearly polarized light the alignment of the interwell excitons increased as a threshold process with increasing optical pumping. By analyzing time-resolved spectra and the kinetics of the photoluminescence intensity under pulsed excitation it was established that under these conditions the rate of radiative recombination increases substantially. The observed effect occurs at below-critical temperatures and is interpreted in terms of the collective behavior of the interwell excitons. Studies of the luminescence spectra in a magnetic field showed that the collective exciton phase is dielectric and in this phase the interwell excitons retain their individual properties.
- Yu. E. Lozovik and V. I. Yudson, Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 71, 738 (1976) [Sov. Phys. JETP 44, 389 (1976)].
- T. Fukuzawa, E. E. Méndez, and J. M. Hong, Phys. Rev. Lett. 64, 3066 (1990). CrossRef
- J. E. Golub, K. Kash, J. P. Harbison, and L. T. Flores, Phys. Rev. B 41, 8564 (1990). CrossRef
- J. A. Kash, M. Zachau, E. E. Méndez, et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 66, 2247 (1991).
- L. V. Butov, A. Zrenner, G. A. Abstreiter, et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 73, 304 (1994); L. V. Butov, in Proceedings of the 23rd International Conference on Physics of Semiconductors, Berlin, 1996. CrossRef
- V. B. Timofeev, A. I. Filin, A. V. Larionov, et al., Europhys. Lett. 41, 435 (1998). CrossRef
- V. B. Timofeev, A. V. Larionov, A. S. Ioselevich, et al., Pis’ma Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 67, 580 (1998) [JETP Lett. 67, 613 (1998)].
- V. V. Krivolapchuk, E. S. Moskalenko, A. L. Zhmodikov, et al., Solid State Commun. 111, 49 (1999). CrossRef
- D. Yoshioka and A. H. MacDonald, J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 59, 4211 (1990).
- X. M. Chen and J. J. Quinn, Phys. Rev. Lett. 67, 895 (1991).
- Xuejun Zhu, P. B. Littlewood, M. S. Hybersten, and T. Rice, Phys. Rev. Lett. 74, 1633 (1995). CrossRef
- J. Fernández-Rossier and C. Tejedor, Phys. Rev. Lett. 78, 4809 (1997). CrossRef
- Lerwen Liu, L. Swierkowski, and D. Nelson, Physica B (Amsterdam) 249–251, 594 (1998).
- Yu. E. Lozovik and O. L. Berman, Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 111, 1879 (1997) [JETP 84, 1027 (1997)].
- V. B. Timofeev, A. V. Larionov, M. Grassi Alessi, et al., Phys. Rev. B 60, 8897 (1999). CrossRef
- Optical Orientation, Modern Problem in Condensed Matter Sciences, Ed. by F. Mayer and B. Zhakharchenya (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1984), Vol. 8.
- G. E. W. Bauer and T. Ando, Phys. Rev. B 37, 3130 (1988); 38, 6015 (1988). CrossRef
- J. M. Kosterlitz and D. J. Thouless, J. Phys. C 6, 181 (1973). CrossRef
- Interwell excitons in GaAs/AlGaAs double quantum wells and their collective properties
Journal of Experimental and Theoretical Physics
Volume 90, Issue 6 , pp 1093-1104
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors