Magnetic soliton motion in a nonuniform magnetic field
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We discuss the dynamics of a magnetic soliton in a one-dimensional ferromagnet placed in a weakly nonuniform magnetic field. In the presence of a constant weak magnetic-field gradient the soliton quasimomentum is a linear function of time, which induces oscillatory motion of the soliton with a frequency determined by the magnetic-field gradient; the phenomenon is similar to Bloch oscillations of an electron in a weak electric field. An explicit description of soliton oscillations in the presence of a weak magnetic-field gradient is given in the adiabatic approximation. Two turning points are found in the motion of the soliton and the varieties of bounded and unbounded soliton motion are discussed. The Landau-Lifshitz equations are solved numerically for the case of a soliton moving in a weakly nonuniform magnetic field. The soliton is shown to emit a low-intensity spin wave near one of the turning points due to violation of the adiabatic approximation, and the necessary conditions for such an approximation to hold are established.
- A. M. Kosevich, B. A. Ivanov, and A. S. Kovalev, Nonlinear Magnetization Waves. Dynamic and Topological Solitons [in Russian], Naukova Dumka, Kiev (1983).
- A. M. Kosevich, B. A. Ivanov, and A. S. Kovalev, Phys. Rep. 194, 117 (1990). CrossRef
- A. I. Akhiezer, V. G. Bar’yakhtar, and S. V. Peletminskii, Spin Waves, Interscience, New York (1968).
- A. M. Kosevich, Physica D 119(1–2), 134 (1998).
- V. I. Karpman and E. Maslov, Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 73, 537 (1977) [Sov. Phys. JETP 46, 281 (1977)].
- D. J. Kaup and A. C. Newell, Proc. R. Soc. London, Ser. A 361, 413 (1978).
- V. I. Karpman and E. Maslov, Phys. Fluids 25, 1682 (1982). CrossRef
- Magnetic soliton motion in a nonuniform magnetic field
Journal of Experimental and Theoretical Physics
Volume 87, Issue 2 , pp 401-407
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Low-Temperature Physicotechnical Institute, National Academy of Sciences, 310086, Kharkov, Ukraine
- 2. National Research Center “Kharkov Physicotechnical Institute”, 310108, Kharkov, Ukraine
- 3. Belgorod State University, 308000, Belgorod, Russia