Contribution to the statistical theory of wave localization in a two-layered medium
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A very simple system of stochastic boundary-value wave equations that describes the interaction of two types of waves in a randomly inhomogeneous medium is studied. The statistics of the reflection and transmission coefficients for the incident and excited waves are discussed. It is shown that the excitation of waves is statistically equivalent to switching on damping for the initial incident waves which are localized in separate specific realizations. The parameters of the length of such localization are estimated in terms of the spectral density of the variations of the medium. It is also shown that for excited waves there is no dynamical localization, and the transmission coefficients for them are estimated.
- I. M. Lifshitz, S. A. Gredeskul, and L. A. Pastur, Introduction to the Theory of Disordered Systems, Wiley, N. Y., 1988 [Russian original, Nauka, Moscow, 1982].
- V. I. Klyatskin, The Embedding Method in the Theory of Wave Propagation [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow, 1986.
- V. I. Klyatskin and A. I Saichev, Usp. Fiz. Nauk 162, 161 (1992) [Sov. Phys. Usp. 35, 231 (1992)].
- V. I. Klyatskin, Prog. Opt. 33, 1 (1994).
- D. Segupta, L. Piterbarg, and G. Reznik, Dyn. Atmos. Oceans 17, 1 (1992).
- J. Pedlosky, Geophysical Fluid Dynamics, Springer-Verlag, N. Y., 1987, 2nd edition [Russian translation, Mir, Moscow, 1984].
- R. E. Thomson, J. Fluid Mech. 70, 267 (1982).
- G. M. Reznik and T. B. Tsybaneva, Okeanologiya 34, 5 (1994).
- V. I. Klyatskin, Izv. Ross. Akad. Nauk, Fiz. Atmos. Okeana 32, 824 (1996).
- V. I. Klyatskin, Stochastic Equations and Waves in Randomly Inhomogeneous Media [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow, 1980.
- Contribution to the statistical theory of wave localization in a two-layered medium
Journal of Experimental and Theoretical Physics
Volume 84, Issue 6 , pp 1106-1113
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors