Collinear diffraction of a divergent light beam by ultrasound in a paratellurite crystal
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The collinear acousto-optical interaction of a divergent light beam with ultrasound along the approximate  direction in a TeO2 paratellurite crystal is investigated theoretically and experimentally. The collinear diffraction is studied at an ultrasonic frequency f ≈ 149 MHz under exposure of the crystal to an uncollimated laser light beam at a wavelength λ = 633 nm and at an angle of divergence as large as 4°. It is shown that the collinear diffraction along the direction forbidden for acousto-optical interactions of plane waves occurs only under conditions where the light beam is uncollimated and the diffraction efficiency increases with an increase in the divergence of the light beam. It is proved that the attenuation of an acoustic wave brings about a decrease in the diffraction efficiency and an increase in the transmission bandwidth of the device used. A model of the collinear acousto-optical filter based on a paratellurite crystal with an interaction length l = 2.7 cm is analyzed. The collinear acousto-optical filter is characterized by a high resolving power (∼3000), a high diffraction efficiency (I 1/I 0 ≈ 0.8), and a large angular aperture (Δϕ ≈ 4°). This makes collinear diffraction promising for use in acousto-optical filters based on paratellurite crystals.
- V. I. Balakshiy, V. N. Parygin, and L. E. Chirkov, Physical Principles of Acousto-Optics (Radio i Svyaz’, Moscow, 1985) [in Russian].
- J. Xu and R. Stroud, Acousto-Optic Devices (Wiley, New York, 1992).
- A. Goutzoulis and D. Pape, Design and Fabrication of Acousto-Optic Devices (Marcel Dekker, New York, 1994).
- B. Auld, Acoustic Fields and Waves in Solids, 2nd ed. (Krieger, Malabar, Florida, 1990).
- N. A. Esepkina, A. A. Lipovskii, V. Yu. Petrun’kin, and A. S. Shcherbakov, in Acousto-Optical Methods of Information Processing (Nauka, Leningrad, 1978), pp. 22–30.
- I. C. Chang, Proc. SPIE 90, 12 (1976).
- S. E. Harris, S. T. K. Nieh, and D. K. Winslow, Appl. Phys. Lett. 15, 325 (1969). CrossRef
- V. B. Voloshinov, I. V. Nikolaev, and V. N. Parygin, Vestn. Mosk. Univ., Ser. 3: Fiz. Astron. 21(2), 42 (1980).
- V. B. Voloshinov and V. N. Parygin, Vestn. Mosk. Univ., Ser. 3: Fiz. Astron. 21(1), 90 (1980).
- V. N. Parygin, A. V. Vershubskii, and Yu. G. Rezvov, Opt. Spektrosk. 90, 144 (2001) [Opt. Spectrosc. 90, 129 (2001)].
- V. N. Parygin, A. V. Vershoubskiy, and Yu. G. Resvov, J. Opt. A: Pure Appl. Opt. 3, 32 (2001). CrossRef
- S. N. Antonov, E. V. Kuznetsova, V. I. Mirgorodskii, and V. V. Proklov, Akust. Zh. 28, 433 (1982) [Sov. Phys. Acoust. 28, 257 (1982)].
- V. B. Voloshinov and E. A. Lemyaskina, Acta Phys. Slov. 46, 733 (1996).
- Collinear diffraction of a divergent light beam by ultrasound in a paratellurite crystal
Optics and Spectroscopy
Volume 98, Issue 4 , pp 618-623
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors