Terahertz oscillator based on nonlinear frequency conversion in a double vertical cavity
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The feasibility of producing a vertical-cavity laser that operates in the far IR region and is based on the three-wave mixing due to the lattice nonlinearity of a GaAs/AlGaAs system is analyzed. It is shown that the use of a double Bragg cavity with the parameters tuned both to high-frequency oscillations (sources of nonlinear polarization) and to the difference frequency allows one to raise the intensity of the radiation in the far IR region. The power density of the radiation at a wavelength of 49.5 μm equals approximately 5 × 10−4 μW/μm2 at a drive current density of 5 kA/cm2. It is suggested that a drive current should be supplied with the use of intercavity contacts, to be located in the vicinity of a node in the difference mode; then, the absorption of radiation by free charge carriers will be reduced to a minimum.
- M. Beck, D. Hofstetter, T. Aellen, et al., Science 295, 301 (2002). CrossRef
- O. Levi, T. Pinguet, T. Skauli, et al., Opt. Lett. 27, 2091 (2002).
- V. Ya. Aleshkin, A. A. Afonenko, and N. B. Zvonkov, Fiz. Tekh. Poluprovodn. (St. Petersburg) 35, 1256 (2001) [Semiconductors 35, 1203 (2001)].
- A. A. Belyanin, D. Deppe, V. V. Kocharovskii, et al., Usp. Fiz. Nauk 173, 1015 (2003) [Phys. Usp. 46, 986 (2003)].
- Yu. A. Morozov, I. S. Nefedov, and V. Ya. Aleshkin, Zh. Tekh. Fiz. 74(5), 71 (2004) [Tech. Phys. 49, 592 (2004)].
- Yu. A. Morozov, I. S. Nefedov, and V. Ya. Aleshkin, Fiz. Tekh. Poluprovodn. (St. Petersburg) 38, 1392 (2004) [Semiconductors 38, 1350 (2004)].
- Y. Kaneko, S. Nakagawa, Y. Ichimura, et al., J. Appl. Phys. 87, 1597 (2000). CrossRef
- M. Rochat, L. Ajili, H. Willenberg, et al., Appl. Phys. Lett. 81, 1381 (2002). CrossRef
- T. Dekorsy, M. Helm, V. Yakovlev, et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 90, 055508 (2003).
- A. Mayer and F. Keilmann, Phys. Rev. B 33, 6954 (1986).
- J. Blakemore, J. Appl. Phys. 53, R123 (1982). CrossRef
- A. S. Il’inskii and G. Ya. Slepyan, Oscillations and Waves in Electrodynamical Systems with Losses (Mosk. Gos. Univ., Moscow, 1983) [in Russian].
- S. Adachi, J. Appl. Phys. 58, R1 (1985). CrossRef
- W. Songprakob, R. Zallen, D. Tsu, and W. Liu, J. Appl. Phys. 91, 171 (2002). CrossRef
- W. Songprakob, R. Zallen, W. Liu, and K. Bacher, Phys. Rev. B 62, 4501 (2000). CrossRef
- Terahertz oscillator based on nonlinear frequency conversion in a double vertical cavity
Volume 39, Issue 1 , pp 113-118
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Radio Engineering and Electronics, Russian Academy of Sciences, Saratov, 410019, Russia
- 2. Institute for Physics of Microstructures, Russian Academy of Sciences, Nizhni Novgorod, 603600, Russia
- 3. Saratov State Technical University, Saratov, 410016, Russia