Measurement of the elastic moduli of dense layers of oriented carbon nanotubes by a scanning force microscope
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A technique is developed for measuring the modulus of elasticity of a material with a Nanoscan scanning force microscope on the basis of measuring the dependence of probe vibration frequency on the penetration depth of the needle into the specimen. This technique makes it possible to study materials with elastic moduli from 50 to 1000 GPa. The Young moduli of dense films of carbon nanotubes oriented at angles of 45° and 90° to the quartz substrate are measured. From their ratio, the Young modulus in the direction perpendicular to the tubes and the anisotropy of the elastic moduli are determined. A comparison of these values with the corresponding values obtained for a nanotube film deposited on a silicon substrate is carried out. On the basis of this comparison, a conclusion is made concerning the interaction between single-layer nanotubes and between nanotubes in a mixture of single-layer and multilayer ones.
- R. Saito and M. S. Dresselhaus, Physical Properties of Carbon Nanotubes (Imperial College, London, 1998).
- A. V. Eletskii, Usp. Fiz. Nauk 167, 945 (1997) [Phys. Usp. 40, 899 (1997)].
- E. T. Thostenson, Z. Ren, and Tsu-Wei Chou, Compos. Sci. Technol. 61, 1899 (2001). CrossRef
- L. Liu, C. S. Jayanthi, and S. Y. Wu, Phys. Rev. B 64, 033412 (2001).
- J.-M. Bonard, J.-P. Salvetat, T. Stockli, et al., Appl. Phys. A 69, 245 (1999). CrossRef
- Z. Ya. Kosakovskaya, L. A. Chernozatonskii, and V. A. Fedorov, Pis’ma Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 56(1), 26 (1992) [JETP Lett. 56, 26 (1992)].
- K. V. Gogolinskii and V. N. Reshetov, Zavod. Lab. 64(6), 30 (1998).
- L. D. Landau and E. M. Lifshitz, Course of Theoretical Physics, Vol. 7: Theory of Elasticity, 4th ed. (Nauka, Moscow, 1987; Pergamon, New York, 1986).
- A. S. Useinov, Prib. Tekh. Éksp., No. 1, 136 (2004).
- I. S. Grudzinskaya, Z. Ya. Kosakovskaya, V. N. Reshetov, and A. A. Chaban, Akust. Zh. 47, 632 (2001) [Acoust. Phys. 47, 548 (2001)].
- K. V. Gogolinskii, Z. Ya. Kosakovskaya, V. N. Reshetov, and A. A. Chaban, Akust. Zh. 48, 760 (2002) [Acoust. Phys. 48, 673 (2002)].
- G. D. Mansfel’d, Yu. V. Gulyaev, Z. Ya. Kosakovskaya, et al., Fiz. Tverd. Tela (St. Petersburg) 44, 649 (2002) [Phys. Solid State 44, 674 (2002)].
- V. N. Popov, V. E. Van Doren, and M. Balkanski, Solid State Commun. 114(7), 395 (2000). CrossRef
- Measurement of the elastic moduli of dense layers of oriented carbon nanotubes by a scanning force microscope
Volume 50, Issue 6 , pp 664-669
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Technological Institute of Superhard and Novel Carbon Materials, ul. Tsentral’naya 7a, Troitsk, Moscow oblast, 142190, Russia
- 2. Institute of Radioengineering and Electronics, Russian Academy of Sciences, ul. Mokhovaya 11, Moscow, 103907, Russia
- 3. Andreev Acoustics Institute, Russian Academy of Sciences, ul. Shvernika 4, Moscow, 117036, Russia