Formation of a Z-pinch during electromagnetic compression of a nonquasineutral current filament
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A study is made of the structure of a relativistic current filament with the azimuthal magnetic field B θ in the range 4πn e m e c 2≪B θ 2 4πn i m i c 2, when the plasma quasineutrality near the filament axis is violated and a narrow peak in electron density is formed there. The ion dynamics in a strong radial electric field of the filament on time scales of about several inverse ion plasma frequencies ω pi −1 is investigated. The initial ion pressure prevents the ion plasma component from compression to infinitely high densities under the action of the electric field and leads to the formation of a dense hot plasma core near the axis of the Z-pinch on time scales of about a dozen ω pi −1 . The compression of the ion component in the axial region gives rise to a collisionless “unloading” shock wave that propagates away from the axis and is accompanied by the vanishing of the radial ion velocity behind the shock front, the accumulation of positive charge near the axis, and the formation of a steady-state ion density profile. It is shown theoretically that ion-ion dissipation manifests itself as the destruction of the hot core of the formed Z-pinch on picosecond time scales. This may serve to explain the explosions of “hot points” in a current-carrying plasma.
- Yu. L. Bakshaev, P. I. Blinov, A. S. Chernenko, et al., in Proceedings of the International Conference on Research Application of Plasmas, 2001, Report No. PS-22.
- Yu. L. Bakshaev, P. I. Blinov, V. V. Vikhrev, et al., Fiz. Plazmy 27, 1101 (2001) [Plasma Phys. Rep. 27, 1039 (2001)].
- G. V. Ivanenkov, S. A. Pikuz, D. V. Sinars, et al., Fiz. Plazmy 26, 927 (2000) [Plasma Phys. Rep. 26, 868 (2000)].
- T. A. Shelkovenko, D. V. Sinars, S. A. Pikuz, and D. A. Hammer, Phys. Plasmas 8, 1305 (2001). CrossRef
- S. A. Pikuz, D. V. Sinars, T. A. Shelkovenko, et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 89, 035003 (2002).
- T. A. Shelkovenko, S. A. Pikuz, D. B. Sinars, et al., Phys. Plasmas 9, 2165 (2002). CrossRef
- S. A. Pikuz, D. B. Sinars, T. A. Shelkovenko, et al., Pis'ma Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 76, 571 (2002).
- G. V. Ivanenkov and V. Stepniewski, Fiz. Plazmy 28, 499 (2002) [Plasma Phys. Rep. 28, 457 (2002)].
- A. V. Gordeev and T. V. Losseva, in Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on High-Power Particle Beams and 5th International Conference on Dense Z-Pinches, New Mexico, 2002, Book of Abstracts, p. 259; in Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Dense Z-Pinches; AIP Conf. Proc. 651, 420 (2002).
- E. S. Weibel, Phys. Rev. Lett. 2, 83 (1959). CrossRef
- J. Sakai, S. Saito, H. Mae, et al., Phys. Plasmas 9, 2959 (2002). CrossRef
- A. V. Gordeev and S. V. Levchenko, Pis'ma Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 67, 461 (1998) [JETP Lett. 67, 482 (1998)].
- A. V. Gordeev and T. V. Losseva, Pis'ma Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 70, 669 (1999) [JETP Lett. 70, 684 (1999)].
- A. V. Gordeev, Fiz. Plazmy 27, 251 (2001) [Plasma Phys. Rep. 27, 235 (2001)].
- R. Z. Sagdeev, in Plasma Physics and the Problems of Controlled Thermonuclear Reactions, Ed. by M. A. Leontovich (Akad. Nauk SSSR, Moscow, 1958), Vol. 4, p. 384.
- V. I. Berezhiani, S. M. Mahajan, and N. L. Shatashvili, Phys. Rev. E 55, 995 (1997). CrossRef
- E. S. Oran and J. P. Boris, Numerical Simulation of Reactive Flow (Elsevier, New York, 1987; Mir, Moscow, 1990).
- G. S. Sarkisov, V. Yu. Bychenkov, V. T. Tikhonchuk, et al., Pis'ma Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 66, 787 (1997) [JETP Lett. 66, 828 (1997)].
- A. V. Gordeev, Fiz. Plazmy 27, 700 (2001) [Plasma Phys. Rep. 27, 659 (2001)].
- B. A. Trubnikov, in Review of Plasma Physics, Ed. by M. A. Leontovich (Atomizdat, Moscow, 1963; Consultants Bureau, New York, 1965), Vol. 1.
- Formation of a Z-pinch during electromagnetic compression of a nonquasineutral current filament
Plasma Physics Reports
Volume 29, Issue 9 , pp 748-756
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links