Parametric excitation of surface waves at the boundary between a magnetized plasma and a metal
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A study is made of the parametric excitation of potential surface waves propagating in a planar plasma-metal waveguide structure in a magnetic field perpendicular to the plasma-metal boundary. An external, spatially uniform, alternating electric field at the second harmonic of the excited wave is used as the source of parametric excitation. A set of equations is derived that describes the excitation of surface waves due to the onset of decay instability. Expressions for the growth rates in the linear stage of instability are obtained, and the threshold amplitudes of the external electric field above which the parametric instability can occur are found. Analytic expressions for the saturation amplitudes are derived with allowance for the self-interaction of each of the excited waves and the interaction between them. The effect of the plasma parameters and the strength of the external magnetic field on the saturation amplitude, growth rates, and the threshold amplitudes of the pump electric field are analyzed.
- M. Moisan, J. Hurbert, J. Margot, and Z. Zakrzewski, The Development and Use of Surface-Wave Sustained Discharges for Applications in Advanced Technologies Based on Wave and Beam Generated Plasmas (Kluwer, Amsterdam, 1999).
- N. A. Azarenkov, K. N. Ostrikov, and M. Y. Yu, J. Appl. Phys. 84, 4176 (1998).
- N. A. Azarenkov, A. N. Kondratenko, and K. N. Ostrikov, Izv. Vyssh. Uchebn. Zaved., Radiofizika 36, 32 (1993).
- A. N. Kondratenko, Plasma Waveguides (Atomizdat, Moscow, 1976).
- A. W. Trivelpiece and R. W. Gould, J. Appl. Phys. 30, 1784 (1959). CrossRef
- N. A. Azarenkov and K. N. Ostrikov, Phys. Rep. 308, 333 (1999). CrossRef
- D. P. Schmidt, N. B. Meezan, W. A. Hargus, Jr., and M. A. Cappelli, Plasma Sources Sci. Technol. 9, 68 (2000). CrossRef
- N. A. Azarenkov, A. N. Kondratenko, and Yu. O. Tyshetskii, Zh. Tekh. Fiz. 69(11), 30 (1999) [Tech. Phys. 44, 1286 (1999)].
- N. A. Azarenkov, Yu. A. Akimov, and V. P. Olefir, Vestn. Kharkov. Natsion. Univ. im. V.N. Karazina, Ser. Fiz. Yad., Chast., Polya, No. 3/19, 23 (2002).
- N. A. Azarenkov, Yu. A. Akimov, and A. V. Gapon, Vestn. Kharkov. Natsion. Univ. im. V.N. Karazina, Ser. Fiz. Yad., Chast., Polya, No. 4/12, 29 (2000).
- Yu. A. Akimov, N. A. Azarenkov, and V. P. Olefir, in Proceedings of the International Conference and School on Plasma Physics and Controlled Fusion, Alushta, 2002, p. 96.
- J. Weiland and H. Wilhelmsson, Coherent Nonlinear Interaction of Waves in Plasmas (Pergamon, Oxford, 1976; Énergoizdat, Moscow, 1981).
- A. I. Akhiezer, V. S. Mikhailenko, V. V. Ol'shansky, and K. N. Stepanov, Fiz. Plasmy 26, 615 (2000) [Plasma Phys. Rep. 26, 575 (2000)].
- I. Peres, M. Fortin, and J. Margot, Phys. Plasmas 3, 1754 (1996).
- I. Peres, A. Dallaire, P. Jones, and J. Margot, J. Appl. Phys. 82, 4211 (1997).
- Parametric excitation of surface waves at the boundary between a magnetized plasma and a metal
Plasma Physics Reports
Volume 29, Issue 8 , pp 669-674
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors