Antiferromagnetic spin correlations in palladium-based Pd-Fe, Pd-Fe-Ag, and Pd-Fe-Rh magnetic alloys
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The magnetic structure of Pd1−x Fex (x=0.03, 0.06, 0.10, 0.15, and 0.20) alloys is investigated using the method of 57Fe-Mössbauer spectroscopy. The distribution functions P(B hf) of hyperfine magnetic fields have a discrete structure defined by variations of the contribution to B hf from the magnetic moment of the neighboring Fe atoms. The anomalies of intensities of components of the functions P(B hf), which increase with the concentration of iron, are indicative of the instability of configurations with a large total spin and of the formation of local spin configurations with the antiferromagnetic orientation of magnetic moments. The probability of formation of such configurations is defined by the competition of the ferromagnetic Fe-Pd exchange interaction with the direct antiferromagnetic exchange between the nearest neighboring atoms of Fe. An Ag or Rh impurity effectively induces the process of spin flipping, which explains the anomalously strong effect of impurities on the magnetic ordering temperature. The results confirm the presence in Pd-Fe alloys of perturbations of long-range ferromagnetic order revealed by neutron diffraction.
- G. J. Nieuwenhuys, Adv. Phys. 24, 515 (1975). CrossRef
- R. A. Levy, J. J. Burton, D. I. Paul, and J. I. Budnick, Phys. Rev. B 9, 1085 (1974). CrossRef
- E. R. Domb, D. J. Sellmyer, T. M. Quick, and R. J. Borg, Phys. Rev. B 17, 2233 (1978). CrossRef
- Y. Tsunoda and R. Abe, Phys. Rev. B 55, 11 507 (1997). CrossRef
- R. Abe, Y. Tsunoda, M. Nishi, and K. Kakurai, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 10, L79 (1998). CrossRef
- A. L. Erzinkyan, N. N. Delyagin, V. P. Parfenova, and S. I. Reyman, J. Magn. Magn. Mater. 231, L20 (2001). CrossRef
- V. P. Parfenova, A. L. Erzinkyan, N. N. Delyagin, and S. I. Reyman, Phys. Status Solidi B 228, 731 (2001).
- V. P. Parfenova, N. N. Delyagin, A. L. Erzinkyan, and S. I. Reiman, Fiz. Tverd. Tela (St. Petersburg) 42, 1425 (2000) [Phys. Solid State 42, 1465 (2000)].
- T. Tsunoda, A. Harigae, J. L. Robertson, and M. L. Crow, Phys. Rev. B 62, 9511 (2000).
- Antiferromagnetic spin correlations in palladium-based Pd-Fe, Pd-Fe-Ag, and Pd-Fe-Rh magnetic alloys
Journal of Experimental and Theoretical Physics
Volume 95, Issue 6 , pp 1056-1061
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors