Deformation of the Raman scattering spectrum of Ih ice under local laser heating near 0°C
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The Raman band of Nd:YAG laser second-harmonic scattering from the O-H stretching vibrations of hexagonal ice was observed to broaden asymmetrically by 90 cm−1 near 0°C with the pulse repetition frequency increasing from 1 to 8 Hz. The center of this band was found to undergo simultaneously a Stokes shift by 25 cm−1. The observed spectral features can be accounted for by the ice being heated by pulsed laser radiation through the electrocaloric effect, because the one-photon absorption mechanism produces a negligible contribution.
- D. Eisenberg and W. Kawzmann, The Structure and Properties of Water (Oxford Univ. Press, New York, 1969; Gidrometeoizdat, Leningrad, 1975).
- J. R. Sherer and J. Snayder, J. Chem. Phys. 67, 4794 (1997). CrossRef
- A. F. Bunkin and S. M. Pershin, Bull. Russ. Acad. Sci., Phys., Suppl. Phys. Vibr. 61, 164 (1997).
- A. A. Shibkov, M. A. Zheltov, and A. A. Korolev, Priroda, No. 9, 12 (2000).
- N. Maeno, The Sciency of Ice (Hokkaido Univ. Press, Sapporo, 1984; Mir, Moscow, 1988).
- S. M. Pershin and A. F. Bunkin, Proc. SPIE 3732, 51 (1998).
- M. F. Vernon, D. U. Krajnovich, H. S. Kwok, et al., J. Chem. Phys. 77, 47 (1982). CrossRef
- L. D. Landau and E. M. Lifshitz, Course of Theoretical Physics, Vol. 8: Electrodynamics of Continuous Media (Nauka, Moscow, 1982; Pergamon, New York, 1984).
- B. Ya. Zel’dovich, N. F. Pilipetskii, and V. V. Shkunov, Phase Conjugation (Nauka, Moscow, 1985).
- G. I. Zatsepina, Physical Properties and Structure of Water (Mosk. Gos. Univ., Moscow, 1987).
- N. Koshkin and M. Shirkevich, Handbook of Physics (Moscow, 1974).
- R. M. Pope and E. S. Fry, Appl. Opt. 36, 8710 (1997). CrossRef
- L. Pauling, The Nature of the Chemical Bond and the Structure of Molecules and Crystals (Cornell Univ. Press, Ithaca, 1940; Mir, Moscow, 1960).
- Deformation of the Raman scattering spectrum of Ih ice under local laser heating near 0°C
Optics and Spectroscopy
Volume 93, Issue 2 , pp 252-256
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors