Dynamics of topological multipoles: II. Creation, annihilation, and evolution of nonparaxial optical vortices
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The behavior of nonparaxial combined beams transferring two or four optical vortices with opposite topological charges (topological dipole or quadrupole) is studied. The paraxial and nonparaxial approaches are compared. It is shown that the behavior of a topologically neutral wave system is well characterized by the position of a representative point on the parametric plane. It is found that there exists a large region on this plane for which spatial trajectories of the optical vortices, both for dipoles and quadrupoles, do not intersect the focal plane, i.e., the vortices cannot exist within the forbidden zone. At the edges of the forbidden zone, the vortices are either created or annihilated. In contrast, there exists a region on the parametric plane for which the optical vortices can exist only near the waist plane.
- M. V. Berry, J. Mod. Opt. 45, 1845 (1998).
- A. V. Volyar, V. G. Shvedov, and T. A. Fadeeva, Opt. Spektrosk. 90, 104 (2001) [Opt. Spectrosc. 90, 93 (2001)]. CrossRef
- M. S. Soskin, V. N. Gorshkov, M. V. Vasnetsov, et al., Phys. Rev. A 56, 4064 (1998). CrossRef
- M. S. Soskin and M. V. Vasnetsov, in Horizons in World Physics, Ed. by M. Vasnetsov and K. Staliunas (Nova Science Publ., 1999), Vol. 228, pp. 1–35.
- A. V. Volyar and T. A. Fadeeva, Opt. Spektrosk. 85, 287 (1998) [Opt. Spectrosc. 85, 264 (1998)].
- N. B. Baranova and B. Ya. Zel’dovich, Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 80, 1789 (1981) [Sov. Phys. JETP 53, 925 (1981)].
- A. V. Volyar, V. G. Shvedov, and T. A. Fadeeva, Opt. Spektrosk. 91, 255 (2001) [Opt. Spectrosc. 91, 235 (2001)]. CrossRef
- J. F. Nay and M. Berry, Proc. R. Soc. London, Ser. A 378, 219 (1981). CrossRef
- J. F. Nay, Natural Focusing and Fine Structure of Light. Caustics and Wave Dislocations (Institute of Physics Publ., Bristol, 1999).
- I. Freund, Opt. Commun. 163, 230 (1999). CrossRef
- A. V. Volyar and T. A. Fadeeva, Opt. Spektrosk. 92, 255 (2002) [Opt. Spectrosc. 92, 243 (2002)].
- Dynamics of topological multipoles: II. Creation, annihilation, and evolution of nonparaxial optical vortices
Optics and Spectroscopy
Volume 92, Issue 2 , pp 253-262
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors