Phase and structural transformations in a molecular dynamics model of iron under ultrafast heating and cooling
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
It is shown that a system of classical particles considered in a molecular dynamics model with Pak-Doyama pairwise interatomic potential adequately describes not only the various structural states of iron (melt, bcc crystal, metal glass) but also the complex self-organization processes occurring in first-and second-order phase transitions (crystallization and vitrification, respectively). When the temperature is varied at a constant rate of 6.6×1011 K/s, crystallization sets in from both the amorphous and the liquid state; at a rate of 1.9×1012 K/s, crystallization is observed only in the amorphous state; and when heated at a rate of 4.4×1012 K/s, the model amorphous iron transfers to the liquid state without crystallization. The energy of homogeneous formation of a crystal nucleus in the bulk of the amorphous phase of iron is calculated to be ∼0.71 eV under the assumption that there is a spectrum of activation energies.
- K. Suzuki, H. Fujimori, and K. Hashimoto, Amorphous Metals (Tokyo, 1982; Metallurgiya, Moscow, 1987), translated from Japanese.
- T. Ichikawa, Phys. Status Solidi A 19, 707 (1973).
- P. K. Leung and J. G. Wright, Philos. Mag. B 30(5), 995 (1974).
- A. V. Evteev and A. T. Kosilov, Vestn. Voronezh. Gos. Tekh. Univ., Ser. Materialoved. 1(4), 4 (1998).
- H. M. Pak and M. Doyama, J. Fac. Eng., Univ. Tokyo B 30, 110 (1969).
- J. W. Christian, Theory of Transformations in Metals and Alloys (Pergamon, Oxford, 1975; Mir, Moscow, 1978), Part 1.
- R. Yamamoto, H. Matsuoka, and M. Doyma, Phys. Status Solidi A 45, 305 (1978).
- D. K. Belashchenko, Fiz. Met. Metalloved. 60(6), 1076 (1985).
- A. V. Evteev and A. T. Kosilov, Rasplavy, No. 1, 55 (1998).
- A. A. Vertman and A. M. Samarin, Properties of Melts of Iron (Nauka, Moscow, 1969).
- L. Verlet, Phys. Rev. 159, 98 (1967). CrossRef
- C. J. Smithells, Metals Reference Book (Butterworths, London, 1976; Metallurgiya, Moscow, 1980).
- J. L. Finney, J. Comput. Phys. 32(1), 137 (1979). CrossRef
- W. Primak, Phys. Rev. 100(6), 167 (1955). CrossRef
- V. I. Belyavskii, O. P. Bobrov, A. T. Kosilov, and V. A. Khonik, Fiz. Tverd. Tela (St. Petersburg) 38(1), 30 (1996) [Phys. Solid State 38, 16 (1996)].
- Phase and structural transformations in a molecular dynamics model of iron under ultrafast heating and cooling
Physics of the Solid State
Volume 43, Issue 12 , pp 2284-2289
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors