Acousto-optic filter of nonpolarized electromagnetic radiation
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
An acousto-optic tunable filter that is insensitive to the polarization of incident light is studied both theoretically and experimentally. The fundamental possibility of designing an acousto-optic filter of nonpolarized light is demonstrated. The filter operates in the visible range of electromagnetic waves with λ=480–750 nm and provides a high spatial and temporal resolution. The number of resolvable spots of the filtered image reaches a value of 400×400 with the spectral bandwidth of the device being Δλ=1.7 nm. The results of the processing of optical images formed by arbitrarily polarized light beams are discussed. An acousto-optic filter based on a TeO2 crystal can be used in optics and spectroscopy in the processing of light beams with an arbitrary polarization, as well as in analyzing optical images formed by light beams whose polarization varies with time.
- V. I. Balakshii, V. N. Parygin, and L. E. Chirkov, Physical Principles of Acousto-optics (Radio i Svyaz’, Moscow, 1985).
- A. Korpel, Acousto-optics (Marcel Dekker, New York, 1988; Mir, Moscow, 1993).
- J. Xu and R. Stroud, Acousto-optics Devices (Wiley, New York, 1992).
- I. Chang, Proc. SPIE 90, 12 (1976).
- V. B. Voloshinov and O. V. Mironov, Opt. Spektrosk. 68, 452 (1990) [Opt. Spectrosc. 68, 264 (1990)].
- D. Suhre, V. Gottlieb, L. Taylor, et al., Opt. Eng. 31, 2118 (1992).
- V. Voloshinov, Ultrasonics 31(105), 333 (1993).
- V. Voloshinov, V. Molchanov, and J. Mosquera, Opt. Laser Technol. 28, 119 (1996). CrossRef
- V. Voloshinov, in Proceedings of I ARL Acousto-optic Tunable Filter Workshop, ARL-SR-54, 1997, pp. 55–63.
- L. Denes, B. Kaminsky, M. Gottlieb, et al., in Proceedings of the I ARL Acousto-optic Tunable Filter Workshop, ARL-SR-54, 1997, pp. 179–188.
- L. V. Balakin, V. I. Balakshii, V. B. Voloshinov, et al., Zh. Tekh. Fiz. 61(10), 100 (1991) [Sov. Phys. Tech. Phys. 36, 1135 (1991)].
- I. B. Belikov, V. B. Voloshinov, L. N. Magdich, et al., Pis’ma Zh. Tekh. Fiz. 10(20), 1225 (1984) [Sov. Tech. Phys. Lett. 10, 517 (1984)].
- A. Goutzoulis and D. Pape, Design and Fabrication of Acousto-optic Devices (Marcel Dekker, New York, 1994).
- D. Suhre and E. Villa, Appl. Opt. 37, 2340 (1998).
- Acousto-optic filter of nonpolarized electromagnetic radiation
Volume 45, Issue 9 , pp 1186-1191
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors