Study of hydrodynamic instabilities of a Z-pinch during a high-current explosion of a thin wire
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Results are presented from laboratory and numerical experiments on the influence of the core and associated hydrodynamic instabilities on the high-current implosion of a plasma of exploding metal wires. The experimental investigation of the discharge structure was carried out using the multiframe X-ray backlighting technique with high temporal and spatial resolution (<1 ns and 1 µm, respectively); X-pinches were used as small-sized radiation sources. The implosion of a dense Z-pinch was modeled by the free-point method with the use of a two-dimensional radiative MHD code. The onset of instabilities at the corona-core boundary was modeled by the NUTCY Eulerian code. The results show that hydrodynamic processes in the core are primarily responsible for the formation of small bright regions observed in X-rays. After the reflection of a shock wave from the axis, the rapid onset of hydrodynamic instabilities can occur at the corona-core boundary.
- W. G. Chace, Phys. Fluids 2, 230 (1959). CrossRef
- F. A. Nikolaev, V. B. Rozanov, and Yu. P. Sviridenko, Tr. Fiz. Inst. Akad. Nauk SSSR 76, 36 (1974).
- G. V. Ivanenkov, A. R. Mingaleev, S. A. Pikuz, et al., Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 114, 1216 (1998) [JETP 87, 663 (1998)].
- S. A. Pikuz, G. V. Ivanenkov, T. A. Shelkovenko, and D. Hammer, Pis’ma Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 69, 349 (1999) [JETP Lett. 69, 377 (1999)]; S. A. Pikuz, T. A. Shelkovenko, D. B. Sinars, et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 83, 4313 (1999).
- S. Yu. Gus’kov, G. V. Ivanenkov, A. R. Mingaleev, et al., Pis’ma Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 67, 531 (1998) [JETP Lett. 67, 559 (1998)].
- G. V. Ivanenkov, A. R. Mingaleev, S. A. Pikuz, et al., Fiz. Plazmy 25, 851 (1999) [Plasma Phys. Rep. 25, 783 (1999)].
- G. V. Ivanenkov, A. R. Mingaleev, T. A. Novikova, et al., Zh. Tekh. Fiz. 65 (4), 40 (1995) [Tech. Phys. 40, 312 (1995)].
- V. B. Rozanov, C. P. Verdon, V. Decroisette, et al., in Energy from Inertial Fusion (IAEA, Vienna, 1995), p. 21.
- G. V. Ivanenkov, A. R. Mingaleev, S. A. Pikuz, et al., in Proceedings of 4th International Conference on Dense Z-Pinches, Vancouver, 1997 (AIP, New York, 1997), p. 253; G. V. Ivanenkov and W. Stepniewski, Fiz. Plazmy 26, 24 (2000) [Plasma Phys. Rep. 26, 21 (2000)].
- G. V. Ivanenkov and W. Stepniewski, J. Mosc. Phys. Soc. 9, 337 (1999).
- V. V. Nikishin, V. F. Tishkin, I. V. Popov, and A. P. Favorskii, Mat. Model. 7 (5), 15 (1995).
- A. A. Samarskiie, The Theory of Difference Schemes (Nauka, Moscow, 1983).
- I. V. Popov, V. F. Tishkin, V. V. Nikishin, et al., in Proceedings of 23th European Conference on Laser Interaction with Matter, Oxford, 1994, p. 43.
- S. Yu. Gus’kov, V. B. Rosanov, I. G. Lebo, et al., in Proceedings of 12th International Conference in Laser Interaction Research and Plasma Physics, Osaka, 1995, p. 219.
- Study of hydrodynamic instabilities of a Z-pinch during a high-current explosion of a thin wire
Plasma Physics Reports
Volume 26, Issue 9 , pp 745-758
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Lebedev Institute of Physics, Russian Academy of Sciences, Leninskii pr. 53, Moscow, 117924, Russia
- 2. Institute of Mathematical Modeling, Russian Academy of Sciences, Miusskaya pl. 4a, Moscow, 125047, Russia
- 3. Kaliski Institute of Plasma Physics and Laser Microfusion, Warsaw, 49 Hery 23, Poland
- 4. Laboratory of Plasma Studies, Cornell University, 369 Upson Hall, Ithaca, NY, 14853, USA