Properties of erbium luminescence in bulk crystals of silicon carbide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The infrared luminescence of Er3+ ions has been studied in bulk crystals of silicon carbide 6H-SiC doped with erbium in the process of their growth. The erbium centers of different symmetry in the crystals are revealed by the EPR technique. A number of intense luminescence bands of erbium ions are observed at a wavelength of about 1.54 µm. The luminescence can be excited by the light with quantum energies above and below the band gap of SiC. It is found that the luminescence exhibits unusual temperature behavior: as the temperature increases, the luminescence intensity abruptly rises starting with 77 K, passes through a maximum at ∼240 K, and, in the vicinity of ∼400 K, decreases down to the values observed at 77 K. The activation energies for the flare-up and quenching of the Er3+ luminescence are estimated at E A ≈130 and ≈350 meV, respectively. The mechanisms of the flare-up and quenching of the Er3+ luminescence in SiC are discussed.
- V. F. Masterov, Fiz. Tekh. Poluprovodn. (S.-Peterburg) 27, 1435 (1993) [Semicond. 27, 791 (1993)] and references cited therein.
- J. Michel, J. L. Benton, R. F. Ferrante, et al., J. Appl. Phys. 70, 2672 (1991). CrossRef
- A. Polman, J. Appl. Phys. 82, 1 (1997). CrossRef
- W. Jantsch and H. Przybylinska, in Proceedings of Twenty-Third International Conference on the Physics of Semiconductors, Berlin, Germany, July 21–26, 1996, Ed. by M. Schefler and R. Zimmermann (World Scientific Publishing Company, Singapore, 1996), p. 3025.
- W. J. Choyke, R. P. Devaty, L. L. Clemen, et al., Appl. Phys. Lett. 65, 1668 (1994). CrossRef
- P. G. Baranov, I. V. Ilyin, and E. N. Mokhov, Solid State Commun. 103, 291 (1997); P. G. Baranov, I. V. Il’in, E. N. Mokhov, et al., Fiz. Tverd. Tela (S.-Peterburg) 41, 865 (1999) [Phys. Solid State 41, 783 (1999)]. CrossRef
- P. G. Baranov, I. V. Il’in, E. N. Mokhov, et al., Fiz. Tverd. Tela (S.-Peterburg) 41, 38 (1999) [Phys. Solid State 41, 32 (1999)].
- Yu. A. Vodakov, E. N. Mokhov, M. G. Ramm, et al., Krist. Tech. 5, 729 (1979).
- M. Kunzer, H. D. Müller, and U. Kaufmann, Phys. Rev. B 48, 10846 (1993).
- W. I. Choyke, P. R. Devaty, M. Yoganathan, G. Pensl, and J. A. Edmond, in Proceedings of International Conference on Shallow-Level Centers in Semiconductors, Amsterdam, the Netherlands, 17–19 July, 1996, Ed. by C. A. J. Ammerlaan and B. Pajot (World Scientific Publishing Company, 1997), p. 297.
- G. D. Watkins, Fiz. Tverd. Tela (S.-Peterburg) 41(5), 826 (1999) [Phys. Solid State 41 (5), 746 (1999)] and references cited therein.
- N. P. Il’in and V. F. Masterov, Fiz. Tekh. Poluprovodn. (S.-Peterburg) 29, 1591 (1995) [Semicond. 29, 828 (1995)]; N. P. Il’in and V. F. Masterov, Fiz. Tekh. Poluprovodn. (S.-Peterburg) 31, 1037 (1997) [Semicond. 31, 886 (1997)].
- H. Przybylinska, W. Jantsch, Yu. Suprun-Belevitch, et al., Phys. Rev. B 54, 2532 (1996). CrossRef
- L. S. Kimerling, K. D. Kolenbrander, J. Michel, et al., Solid State Phys. 50, 333 (1996).
- Properties of erbium luminescence in bulk crystals of silicon carbide
Physics of the Solid State
Volume 42, Issue 5 , pp 829-835
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors