The effect of cardiac troponin testing on clinical care in a veterans population
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
BACKGROUND: Cardiac troponin is more accurate than creatine kinase (CK) testing for detecting myocardial injury in patients with acute coronary syndromes (ACS), but its effects on clinical care compared with CK testing alone is open to question.
OBJECTIVE: To test the effects of troponin I on medical decisions for patients undergoing cardiac enzyme testing.
DESIGN: Randomized, controlled trial.
SETTING: Urban academic Veterans Affairs medical center.
PATIENTS: Three hundred ninety-two patients presenting to the emergency department (ED) and outpatient settings with symptoms and/or electrocardiograms suggestive but not diagnostic of ACS.
INTERVENTION: Random assignment to linked CK-troponin I (CKTnI) testing or CK testing alone.
MEASUREMENTS: ED discharge and cardiac catheterization incidence (primary); ED medication use, inpatient noninvasive testing, revascularization procedures, discharge medications, and 8-week ED visits, hospitalizations, and procedures (secondary).
RESULTS: Groups were similar in all variables except history of heart failure (CK 26.8% vs CKTnI 17.0%). ACS comprised 12.2% of the cohort. ED discharge incidence was greater in the CKTnI arm (18% vs 9.6%; relative risk [RR], 1.83; 95% CI, 1.08 to 3.31; P=.02; number needed to test=12.6; 95% CI, 4.5 to 130). Troponin testing had no significant effect on catheterization incidence (18.2% vs 14.5%; RR, 1.19; 95% CI, 0.72 to 1.92; P>.20) or other outcomes except follow-up echocardiography (13.4% vs 7.4%; RR, 2.24; 95% CI, 1.11 to 4.69; P=.02).
CONCLUSIONS: In a veterans population undergoing cardiac enzyme testing, CKTnI testing led to more ED discharges than CK testing alone but had no effect on inpatient care and was associated with more echocardiograms in a follow-up period.
- Klootwijk, P, Hamm, C (1999) Acute coronary syndromes: diagnosis. Lancet 353: pp. 10-5 CrossRef
- Antman, EM, Tanasijevic, MJ, Thompson, B (1996) cardiac-specific troponin I levels to predict the risk of mortality in patients with acute coronary syndromes. N Engl J Med 335: pp. 1342-9 CrossRef
- Antman, EM, Cohen, M, Bernink, PJ (2000) The TIMI risk score for unstable angina/non-ST elevation MI: a method for prognostication and therapeutic decision making. JAMA 284: pp. 835-42 CrossRef
- Matetzky, S, Sharir, T, Domingo, M (2000) Elevated troponin I level on admission is associated with adverse outcome of primary angioplasty in acute myocardial infarction. Circulation 102: pp. 1611-6
- Newby, LK, Ohman, EM, Christenson, RH (2001) Benefit of glycoprotein IIb/IIIa inhibition in patients with acute coronary syndromes and troponin t-positive status: the paragon-B troponin T substudy. Circulation 103: pp. 2891-6
- Cannon, CP, Weintraub, WS, Demopoulos, LA (2001) Comparison of early invasive and conservative strategies in patients with unstable coronary syndromes treated with the glycoprotein IIb/IIIa inhibitor tirofiban. N Engl J Med 344: pp. 1879-87 CrossRef
- Thygeson K, Alpert JSfor the Joint European Society of Cardiology/American College of Cardiology Committee. Myocardial infarction redefined—a consensus document of the Joint European Society of Cardiology/American College of Cardiology Committee for the redefinition of myocardial infarction. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2000;959–69.
- Zimmerman, J, Fromm, R, Meyer, D (1999) Diagnostic marker cooperative study for the diagnosis of myocardial infarction. Circulation 99: pp. 1671-7
- Newby, LK, Storrow, AB, Bibler, WB (2001) Bedside multimarker testing for risk stratification in chest pain units: the chest pain evaluation by creatine kinase-MB, myoglobin, and troponin I study. Circulation 103: pp. 1832-37
- Lau, J, Ioannidis, JP, Balk, EM (2001) Diagnosing acute cardiac ischemia in the emergency department: a systematic review of the accuracy and clinical effect of current technologies. Ann Emerg Med 37: pp. 453-60 CrossRef
- Balk, EM, Ioannidis, JP, Salem, D, Chew, PW, Lau, J (2001) Accuracy of biomarkers to diagnose acute cardiac ischemia in the emergency department: a meta-analysis. Ann Emerg Med 37: pp. 478-94 CrossRef
- Polanczyk, CA, Johnson, PA, Cook, EF, Lee, TH (1999) A proposed strategy for utilization of creatine kinase-MB and troponin I in the evaluation of acute chest pain. Am J Cardiol 83: pp. 1175-9 CrossRef
- Polanczyk, CA, Kuntz, KM, Sacks, DB, Johnson, PA, Lee, TH (1999) Emergency department triage strategies for acute chest pain using creatine kinase-MB and troponin I assays: a cost-effectiveness analysis. Ann Intern Med 131: pp. 909-18
- Dagnone, E, Collier, C, Pickett, W (2000) Chest pain with nondiagnostic electrocardiogram in the emergency department: a randomized controlled trial of two cardiac marker regimens. CMAJ 162: pp. 1561-6
- Bradley, K, Seymour, J, Mayall, I, Gali, W, Bernstein, LH (2001) Impact of troponin T determinations on hospital resource utilization and costs in the evaluation of patients with suspected myocardial ischemia. Am J Cardiol 88: pp. 732-6 CrossRef
- Wu, AH, Apple, FS, Gibler, WB, Jesse, RL, Warshaw, MM, Valdes, R (1999) National Academy of Clinical Biochemistry Standards of Laboratory Practice: recommendations for the use of cardiac markers in coronary artery diseases. Clin Chem 45: pp. 1104-21
- Barboza D. Drug maker accepts a fine over test kits. New York Times. November 3, 1999;A:1.
- Centor, RM, Allison, JJ, Weissman, NW, Shaneyfelt, T, Heudebert, G, Kiefe, CI (2000) Early adoption of troponin as a prognostic test is associated with appropriate reductions in catheterization rates for Medicare patients hospitalized with unstable angina. J Gen Intern Med 15: pp. 105-105
- Weingarten, SR, Riedinger, MS, Conner, L (1994) Practice guidelines and reminders to reduce duration of hospital stay for patients with chest pain. An interventional trial. Ann Intern Med 120: pp. 257-63
- Bossuyt, PMM, Lijmer, JG, Mol, BWJ (2000) Randomised comparisons of medical tests: sometimes invalid, not always efficient. Lancet 356: pp. 1844-7 CrossRef
- Jaffe, AS (2001) Elevations in cardiac troponin measurements:: the real truth. Cardiovasc Toxicol 1: pp. 87-92 CrossRef
- Morrow, DA (2004) Evidence-based decision limits for cardiac troponin: low-level elevation and prognosis. Am Heart J 148: pp. 739-42 CrossRef
- Sheifer, SE, Rathore, SS, Gersh, BJ (2000) Time to presentation with acute myocardial infarction in the elderly. Circulation 102: pp. 1651-6
- Hollander, JE, Todd, KH, Heilpern, KL (1995) Chest pain associated with cocaine: an assessment of prevalence in suburban and urban emergency departments. Ann Emerg Med 26: pp. 671-6 CrossRef
- The effect of cardiac troponin testing on clinical care in a veterans population
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 20, Issue 7 , pp 584-592
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- cardiac enzymes
- cardiovascular diseases
- acute coronary syndromes
- chest pain
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Philadelphia VA Medical Center and the Division of General Internal Medicine, University of Pennsylvania Health System, Philadelphia, PA, USA
- 3. Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA
- 4. Cardiovascular Division, Department of Medicine, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA