Age, growth and age at sexual maturity of fan ray Platyrhina sinensis (Batoidea: Platyrhinidae) in Ariake Bay, Japan
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Age, growth and sexual maturity of the fan ray Platyrhina sinensis in Ariake Bay, Japan were determined from specimens collected from May 2002 to September 2006. Age determination was conducted by vertebral centrum analysis using soft X-radiography. Annual band pair deposition was determined by marginal increment and edge analyses. The von Bertalanffy growth model best described the overall pattern of growth for both males and females (males L ∞=455.2, k=0.56, t 0=−1.09; females L ∞=555.8, k=0.28, t 0=−1.77; L ∞ is the theoretical asymptotic total length in mm, k is the growth rate coefficient and t 0 is the theoretical time at zero length). Parameter estimates suggest that females attain a larger asymptotic total length and grow more slowly than males. The observed maximum ages were 5 years for males and 12 years for females. Age at 50% sexual maturity was 2.1 years for males and 2.9 years for females. The results indicate that this species is relatively fast-growing, short-lived and early maturing compared with many batoid species.
- Manda A, Matsuoka K. Changes in tidal currents in the Ariake Sound due to reclamation. Estuaries Coasts 2006; 29: 645–652.
- Compagno LJV. Checklist of living Chondrichthyes. In: Hamlett WC (ed.). Reproductive Biology and Phylogeny of Chondrichthyes: Sharks, Skates, and Rays. Science Publishers, Enfield. 2005; 503–548.
- Hatooka K. Platyrhinidae. In: Nakabo T (ed.). Fishes of Japan with Pictorial Keys to the Species, 2nd edn. Tokai University Press, Tokyo. 2000; 161 (in Japanese).
- Yamaguchi A. Batoid species in Ariake Bay: feeding damage on bivalves. Kaiyo Monthly 2003; 35: 241–245 (in Japanese).
- Hirai Y, Nishinokubi H. Actual conditions of discards of by-catch from small-scale trawl fishery in Ariake Sea. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi 2003; 69: 330–336.
- Yamaguchi A, Kume G, Higuchi T, Takita T. Geographic variation in the growth of white croaker, Pennahia argentata, off the coast of northwest Kyushu, Japan. Environ. Biol. Fish. 2004; 71: 179–188. CrossRef
- Yamaguchi A, Todoroki T, Kume G. Reproductive cycle, sexual maturity and diel-reproductive periodicity of white croaker, Pennahia argentata (Sciaenidae), in Ariake Sound, Japan. Fish. Res. 2006; 82: 95–100. CrossRef
- Yamaguchi A, Taniuchi T, Shimizu M. Age and growth of the starspotted dogfish Mustelus manazo from Tokyo Bay, Japan. Fish. Sci. 1996; 62: 919–922.
- Natanson LJ, Casey JG, Kohler NE. Age and growth estimates for the dusky shark, Carcharhinus obscurus, in the western North Atlantic Ocean. Fish. Bull. 1995; 93: 116–126.
- Neer JA, Thompson BA. Life history of the cownose ray, Rhinoptera bonasus, in the northern Gulf of Mexico, with comments on geographic variability in life history traits. Environ. Biol. Fish. 2005; 73: 321–331. CrossRef
- Kappenman RF. A method for growth curve comparisons. Fish. Bull. 1981; 79: 95–101.
- Tokai T. Maximum likelihood parameter estimates of a mesh selectivity logistic model through Solver on MS-Excel. Bull. Jpn. Soc. Fish. Oceanogr. 1997; 61: 288–298 (in Japanese).
- Cailliet GM, Smith WD, Mollet HF, Goldman KJ. Age and growth studies of chondrichthyan fishes: the need for consistency in terminology, verification, validation, and growth function fitting. Environ. Biol. Fish. 2006; 77: 211–228. CrossRef
- Cailliet GM, Goldman KJ. Age determination and validation in chondrichthyan fishes. In: Carrier JC, Musick JA, Heithaus MR (eds). Biology of Sharks and Their Relatives. CRC Press LLC, Boca Raton, FL. 2004; 339–447.
- Licandeo RR, Lamilla JG, Rubilar PG, Vega RM. Age, growth, and sexual maturity of the yellownose skate Dipturus chilensis in the south-eastern Pacific. J. Fish. Biol. 2006; 68: 488–506. CrossRef
- Neer JA, Cailliet GM. Aspects of the life history of the Pacific electric ray, Torpedo californica (Ayres). Copeia 2001; 2001: 842–847. CrossRef
- Yamaguchi A, Kawahara I, Ito S. Occurrence, growth and food of longheaded eagle ray. Aerobatus flagellum, in Ariake Sound, Kyushu, Japan. Environ. Biol. Fish. 2005; 74: 229–238. CrossRef
- White WT, Platell ME, Potter IC. Relationship between reproductive biology and age composition and growth in Urolophus lobatus (Batoidea: Urolophidae). Mar. Biol. 2001; 138: 135–147. CrossRef
- White WT, Hall NG, Potter IC. Reproductive biology and growth during pre- and postnatal life of Trygonoptera personata and T. mucosa (Batoidea: Urolophidae). Mar. Biol. 2002; 140: 699–712. CrossRef
- Coelho R, Erzini K. Reproductive aspects of the undulate ray. Raja undulata, from the south coast of Portugal. Fish. Res. 2006; 81: 80–85. CrossRef
- Hoenig JM, Gruber SH. Life-history patterns in the elasmobranchs: implications for fisheries management. NOAA Tech. Rep. NMFS 1990; 90: 1–6.
- Winemiller KO, Rose KA. Patterns of life history diversification in North American fishes: implication for population regulation. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 1992; 49: 2196–2218. CrossRef
- Frisk MG, Miller TJ, Fogarty MJ. Estimation and analysis of biological parameters in elasmobranch fishes: a comparative life history study. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 2001; 58: 969–981. CrossRef
- Sulikowski JA, Morin MD, Suk SH, Howell WH. Age and growth estimates of the winter skate (Leucoraja ocellata) in the western Gulf of Maine. Fish. Bull. 2003; 101: 405–413.
- Anderson ED. Fishery models as applied to elasmobranch fisheries. NOAA Tech. Rep. NMFS 1990; 90: 473–484.
- Age, growth and age at sexual maturity of fan ray Platyrhina sinensis (Batoidea: Platyrhinidae) in Ariake Bay, Japan
Volume 74, Issue 4 , pp 736-742
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- age at sexual maturation
- age determination
- Ariake Bay
- life history
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Landcare Research, 7640, Lincoln, New Zealand
- 2. Graduate School of Science and Technology, Nagasaki University, Bunkyo, 852-8521, Nagasaki, Japan
- 3. Faculty of Fisheries, Nagasaki University, 852-8521, Bunkyo, Nagasaki, Japan