Reproductive biology of common silver biddy Gerres oyena in Okinawa Island of southern Japan
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Common silver biddy Gerres oyena were collected monthly between November 2002 and November 2005 in Okinawa Island of southern Japan. The seasonal reproductive cycle of this species was investigated using the gonadosomatic index (GSI) and through histological observation of gonads. Temporal variation in the GSI reflected gonadal development from histological observations; ovary development occurred from March to September and testes development occurred between March and August. Maximal development was observed in April and May in both sexes. While mean values for hepatosomatic and lipidosomatic indices decreased markedly in females relative to males during gonadal development, mean condition factors decreased with gonadal recrudescence in both sexes. The minimum standard length (SL) at sexual maturity was 89.7 mm for females and 81.4 mm for males and the size at which 50% of individuals were sexually mature was 104 and 92 mm SL in females and males, respectively. The power relationships of batch fecundity (BF) versus standard length (SL, mm) and body weight (BW, g) of females can be expressed as BF=46.7×e1.64SL and BF=19 697×e0.49BW , respectively.
- Miyanohara M, Iwatsuki Y, Sakai M. Analysis of the Okinawa and Miyazaki populations of the common silverbiddy Gerres oyena using random amplified polymorphic DNA (RAPD) techniques. Fish. Sci. 1999; 65: 177–181.
- Cyrus DP, Blaber SJM. The reproductive biology of Gerres in Natal estuaries. J. Fish Biol. 1984; 24: 491–504. CrossRef
- Iwatsuki Y, Kimura S, Yoshino T. Redescriptions of Gerres baconensis (Evermann & Seale, 1907), G. equulus Temminck & Schlegel, 1844 and G. oyena (Forsskål, 1775), included in the ‘G. oyena complex’, with notes on other related species (Perciformes: Gerreidae). Ichthyol. Res. 1999; 46: 377–395. CrossRef
- Rao AVP. Observations on the food and feeding habits of Gerres oyena (Forskål) and Gerres filamentosus Cuvier from the Pulicat Lake with notes on the food of allied species. J. Mar. Biol. Assoc. India 1968; 10: 332–346.
- Cyrus DP, Blaber SJM. The food and feeding ecology of Gerreidae, Bleeker 1859, in the estuaries of Natal. J. Fish Biol. 1983; 22: 373–393. CrossRef
- Wakwabi EO, Mees J. The epibenthos of the backwaters of a tropical mangrove creek (Tudor creek, Mombasa, Kenya). Nether. J. Zool. 1999; 49: 189–206. CrossRef
- Lugendo BR, Pronker A, Cornelissen I, de Groene A, Nagelkerken I, Dorenbosch M, der Velde G, Mgaya YD. Habitat utilization by juveniles of commercially important fish species in a marine embayment in Zanzibar, Tanzania. Aquat. Living Resour. 2005; 18: 149–158. CrossRef
- El-Agamy AE. Age determination and growth studies of Gerres oyena (Forsk) in the Arabian Gulf waters. Mahasagar 1988; 21: 23–34.
- Rao AVP. Observations on some aspects of the biology of Gerres oyena (Forskål) with notes on the fishery of silver biddies of Pulicat Lake. J. Inland Fish. Soc. India 1970; 2: 85–100.
- Austin HM. Some aspects of the biology of the Rhomboid mojarra Diapterus rhombeus in Puerto Rico. Bull. Mar. Sci. 1971; 21: 886–903.
- Patnaik S. Observations on the fishery and biology of Chilka Jagili, Gerres setifer (Hamilton). J. Inland Fish. Soc. India 1971; 3: 25–43.
- Etchevers SL. Contribution to the biology of Diapterus rhombeus (Cuvier) (Pisces-Gerridae), South of Margarita Island, Venezuela. Bull. Mar. Sci. 1978; 28: 385–389.
- Albaret JJ, Desfossez P. Biology and ecology of Gerreidae (Pisces, Teleostei) in the Ebrie lagoon (Ivory Coast). Rev. Hydrobiol. Tropic. 1988; 21: 71–88.
- Kurup BM, Samuel CT. Spawning biology of Gerres filamentosus Cuvier in the Cochin Estuary. Fish. Technol. 1991; 28: 19–24.
- Sarre GA, Hyndes GA, Potter IC. Habitat, reproductive biology and size composition of Parequula melbournensis, a gerreid with a temperate distribution. J. Fish Biol. 1997; 40: 341–357.
- Grandcourt EM, Al Abdessalaam TZ, Francis F, Al Shamsi AT. Fisheries biology of a short-lived tropical species: Gerres longirostris (Lecépède, 1801) in the Arabian Gulf. ICES J. Mar. Sci. 2006; 63: 452–459. CrossRef
- Iqbal KM, Ohtomi J, Suzuki H. Reproductive biology of the Japanese silver-biddy, Gerres equulus, in western Kyushu, Japan. Fish. Res. 2007; 83: 145–150. CrossRef
- Yamamoto K. Studies on the formation of eggs. I. Annual cycle in the development of ovarian eggs in the flounder, Liopsetta obscura. J. Fac. Sci. Hokkaido Univ. Ser. VI 1956; 12: 362–373.
- Hood PB, Able KW, Grimes CB. Biology of the conger eel Conger oceanicus in the Mid-Atlantic Bight I. Distribution, age, growth and reproduction. Mar. Biol. 1988; 98: 587–596. CrossRef
- Ramirez-Llodra E, Tyler PA, Billet DSM. Reproductive biology of porcellansterid asteroids from three abyssal sites in the northeast Atlantic with contrasting food input. Mar. Biol. 2002; 140: 773–788. CrossRef
- Hunter JR, Macewicz BJ. Measurement of spawning frequency in multiple spawning fishes. In: Lasker R (ed.). An Egg Production Method for Estimating Spawning Biomass of Pelagic Fish: Application to the Northern Anchovy, Engraulis mordax, Vol. 36, NOAA Technical Report, NMFS, La Jolla, CA, 1985; 79–94.
- Knuckey IA, Sivakumaran KP. Reproductive characteristics and pre-recruit analyses of blue warehou (Seriolella brama): implications for the South East Fishery of Australia. Mar. Freshwater Res. 2001; 52: 575–587. CrossRef
- Rahman MH, Tachihara K. Reproductive biology of Sillago aeolus in Okinawa Island, Japan. Fish. Sci. 2005; 71: 122–132. CrossRef
- Quinitio GF, Takahashi H, Goto A. Annual changes in the testicular activity of the river sculpin, Cottus hangiongensis Mori, with emphasis on the occurrence of aberrant spermatids during spermatogenesis. J. Fish Biol. 1988; 33: 871–878. CrossRef
- Fairclough DV, Dimmlich WF, Potter IC. Reproductive biology of the Australian herring Arripis georgiana. Mar. Freshwater Res. 2000; 51: 619–630. CrossRef
- Hunter JR, Lo NCH, Leong RJH. Batch fecundity in multiple spawning fishes. In: Lasker R (ed.). An Egg Production Method for Estimating Spawning Biomass of Pelagic Fish: Application to the Northern Anchovy, Engraulis Mordax, Vol. 36. NOAA Technical Report. NMFS, La Jolla, CA. 1985; 67–77.
- Wilk SJ, Morse WW, Stehlik LL. Annual cycles of gonadsomatic indices as indicators of spawning activity for selected species of finfish collected from the New York Bight. Fish. Bull. 1990; 88: 775–786.
- West G. Methods of assessing ovarian development in fishes: a review. Aust. J. Mar. Freshwater Res. 1990; 41: 199–222. CrossRef
- Caputo V, Candi G, la Mesa M, Arneri E. Pattern of gonad maturation and the question of semelparity in the paedomorphic goby Aphia minuta. J. Fish Biol. 2000; 58: 656–669. CrossRef
- Wallace RA, Selman K. Cellular and dynamic aspects of oocyte growth in teleosts. Am. Zool. 1981; 21: 325–343.
- Rahman MS, Takemura A, Takano K. Annual changes in ovarian histology, plasma steroid hormones and vitellogenin in the female golden rabbit fish, Siganus guttatus (Bloch). Bull. Mar. Sci. 2000; 67: 729–740.
- Volpato GL, Trajano E. Biological Rhythms. In: Val AL, Almeida-Val VMFD, Randall DJ (eds). The Physiology of Tropical Fishes. Vol. 21. Academic Press, Elsevier, New York, NY. 2005; 101–153.
- Tuset VM, García-Díaz MM, González JA, Lorente MJ, Lozano IJ. Reproduction and growth of the painted comber Serranus scriba (Serranidae) of the Marine Reserve of Lanzarote Island (Central-Eastern Atlantic). Estuar. Coast. Shelf Sci. 2005; 64: 335–346. CrossRef
- Encina L, Granado-Lorencio C. Seasonal variations in the physiological status and energy content of somatic and reproductive tissues of chub. J. Fish Biol. 1997; 50: 511–522. CrossRef
- Cross R. Fisheries Research Notes (September 1976–October 1977). Fisheries Division, Ministry of Natural Resource Development, Tarawa, 1978.
- Yeeting BM. Notes on the silver biddy Gerres oyena (Gerreidae) in Tarawa lagoon, Kiribati. Fishbyte 1990; 8: 8–10.
- Sampson DB, Al-Jufaily SM. Geographic variation in the maturity and growth schedules of English sole along the U.S. west coast. J. Fish Biol. 1999; 54: 1–17. CrossRef
- Stergiou KI. Intraspecific variations in size- and age-atmaturity for red bandfish, Cepola macrophthalma. Environ. Biol. Fish. 1999; 54: 151–160. CrossRef
- Bergstad OA, Høines ÅS, Krüger-Johnsen EM. Spawning time, age and size at maturity, and fecundity of sandeel, Ammodytes marinus, in the north-eastern North Sea and in unfished coastal waters off Norway. Aquat. Living Resour. 2001; 14: 293–301. CrossRef
- Ismen A. Age, growth, reproduction and food of common stingray (Dasyatis pastinaca L., 1758) in Iskenderun Bay, the eastern Mediterranean. Fish. Res. 2003; 60: 169–176. CrossRef
- Guyonnet B, Aliaume C, Albaret J, Casellas C, Zerbi A, Lasserre G, Chi TD. Biology of Ethmalosa fimbriata (Bowdich) and fish diversity in the Ebrie Lagoon (Ivory Coast), a multi polluted environment. ICES J. Mar. Sci. 2003; 60: 259–267. CrossRef
- Bagenal TB. Aspects of fish fecundity. In: Gerking SD (ed.). Ecology of Fresh Water Fish Production. Halsted Press, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1978; 75–101.
- Wigham BD, Tyler PA, Billet DSM. Reproductive biology of the abyssal holothurian Amperima rosea: an opportunistic response to variable flux of surface derived organic matter? J. Mar. Biol. Assoc. U.K. 2003; 83: 175–188.
- Reproductive biology of common silver biddy Gerres oyena in Okinawa Island of southern Japan
Volume 74, Issue 2 , pp 265-275
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Gerres oyena
- Okinawa Island
- spawning season