New perspectives on aquarium fish trade
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Since the 1990s, the international market for importing aquarium fish is suspicious of stock coming from South-East Asia. Fish catches are still executed with cyanide-based toxic products. In the present paper, the potential of the French Polynesian Islands to develop a marine aquarium fish business with a new approach is explored. Coral reef fish are captured at the larval stage with crest nets, then larvae are reared in aquaria before being put on the world ornamental fish market. This approach offers several advantages: (i) larvae are captured with a passive system placed on the reef crest (crest net) that does not destroy the environment and limits the stress on collected larvae; (ii) larvae are then put into farmed basins that allow them to be controlled sanitarily; and (iii) larvae are weaned at the farm and fed rapidly with artificial food. This method increases survival rates as it eliminates the food acclimatization problem of fish captured at adult stage (main cause of fish mortality in aquaria). Overall, reared larvae will constitute a new product in terms of species, sizes and quality of ornamental fish on the aquarium market.
- FAO. Review of the State of World Fishery Resources: Aquaculture. FAO Fisheries Circular, Rome. 1995.
- Polunin NVC, Roberts CM. Reef Fisheries. Chapman and Hall, London. 1996.
- Edwards AJ, Shepherd AD. Environmental implications of aquarium fish-collection in Maldives with proposals for regulation. Env. Cons. 1992; 19: 61–72. CrossRef
- Hingo TG, Rivera R. Aquarium fish industry in Philippines: toward development or destruction? ICLARM Conf. Proc. 1991; 22: 249–253.
- Blasiola GC. Rapport de la mission chargée d’enquêter sur l’impact du cyanure aux Philippines. Rev. Franc. Aquariol. 1988; 15: 126–128. (in French.)
- Dempster RP, Donaldson MS. Cyanide-tranquilizer, or poison? Aqua. Dig. Int. Tetra 1974; 2: 21–22.
- Miyasaka A. Hawaii Aquarium Fish Industry, a Business Profile. Department of Land and Nature Resources. Hawaii. 1991.
- Barnabé G. L’exploitation des ressources vivantes aquatiques. Ann. Biol. 1996; 3: 162–202. (in French.)
- Galzin R, Martin JP, Salvat B. Long term coral reef monitoring program: heterogeneity of the Tiahura barrier reef (Moorea). Galaxea 1993; 11: 73–91.
- Belsher T, Meinesz A, Payri C, Ben Moussa H. Apport du satellite SPOT à la connaissance des écosystèmes récifaux coralliens. Oceanol. Acta 1990; 13: 513–524. (in French.)
- Chauvet C, Galzin R. The lagoon fisheries of French Polynesia. ICLARM Q 1996; 2: 37–40.
- Aubanel A. Valeurs socio-économiques du milieu corallien et de ses ressources. Application à une île océanique du pacifique sud: Moorea. PhD Thesis. University of Bordeaux, Bordeaux, 1993, (in French.)
- McManus JW. Tropical marine fisheries and the future of coral reefs: a review with emphasis on Southeast Asia. Coral Reefs 1997; 16: 121–127. CrossRef
- Lecchini D, Galzin R. Influence of pelagic and benthic, biotic and abiotic, stochastic and deterministic processes on the dynamics of auto-recruitment of coral reef fish. Cybium 2003; 27: 167–184.
- Werner EE. Size, scaling and the evolution of complex life cycles. In: Ebenman B, Perssons L (eds). Size-Structured Populations. Springer-Verlag, Berlin. 1988; 61–81.
- Doherty PJ, Dufour V, Galzin R, Hixon M, Planes S. High mortality during settlement is a population bottleneck for a tropical surgeonfish, Ecology 2004; 85: 2422–2428. CrossRef
- Forrester GE. Strong density-dependent survival and recruitment regulate the abundance of a coral reef fish. Oecologia 1995; 103: 275–282. CrossRef
- Doherty PJ. Variable replenishment and dynamics of reef fish populations. In: Sale PF (ed). Coral Reef Fishes: Dynamics and Diversity in a Complex Ecosystem. Academic Press, San Diego. 2002; 327–358.
- Lecchini D, Dufour V, Carleton J, Strand S, Galzin R. Study of the fish larval flux at Moorea: is the spatial scale significant? J. Fish. Biol. 2004; 65; 1142–1146. CrossRef
- Dufour V, Galzin R. Colonization patterns of reef fish larvae to the lagoon at Moorea. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 1993; 102: 143–152. CrossRef
- Romans P. Captures et premiers essais d’élevage de larves de poissons d’aquarium marin à Rangiroa. MSc Thesis. University of Caen. Caen. 1996.
- New perspectives on aquarium fish trade
Volume 72, Issue 1 , pp 40-47
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- crest net
- economic sustainability
- French Polynesia
- marine ornamental fish
- Author Affiliations
- 1. University of the Ryukyus-Laboratory of Ecology and Systematics, 903-0213, Nishihara, Okinawa, Japan
- 2. Centre de Recherches Insulaires et Observatoire de l’Environnement, CRIOBE, Moorea, French Polynesia
- 3. Aquarium de Canet, 66140, Canet en Roussillon, France
- 4. Service de la Pêche, BP 20 Papeete, Tahiti, French Polynesia
- 5. EPHE, UMR 8046 CNRS, Université de Perpignan, 66860, Perpignan, France