The effectiveness of commercial probiotics in northern white shrimp Penaeus vannamei ponds
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The effectiveness on water quality, population density of bacteria, and shrimp production in ponds treated with commercial probiotics was tested in Penaeus vannamei ponds in Hai-yan, China. Six ponds with replicates for treatment and control were used. Results showed that the probiotics could improve the population density of beneficial bacterial flora, reduce concentrations of nitrogen and phosphorus, and increase yields of shrimp. The average counts of Bacillus sp., ammonifying bacteria, and protein mineralizing bacteria were found to be significantly higher in treated ponds compared to control ponds (P < 0.05). In control ponds, an increase in presumptive vibrios was observed and the average density was up to 2.09 × 103 cfu/mL, whereas that was only 4.37 × 102 cfu/mL in treated ponds (P < 0.05). The use of probiotics also significantly increased dissolved oxygen (P < 0.05) and reduced dissolved reactive-phosphorus, total inorganic nitrogen and chemical oxygen demand (P < 0.05). An average of 8215±265 kg shrimp/ha was obtained in treated ponds with a feed conversion ratio (FCR) of 1.13±0.05 and survival rate of 81.00±6.25% compared with 4985±503 kg shrimp/ha, 1.35±0.12 and 48.67±3.51%, respectively, in control ponds. This indicates that the addition of the commercial probiotics had a noticeable influence on water quality of shrimp ponds and shrimp production.
- Lightner DV, Redman RM. Shrimp diseases and current diagnostic methods. Aquaculture 1998; 164: 201–230. CrossRef
- Boyd CE. Chemistry and efficacy of amendments used to treat water and soil quality imbalances in shrimp ponds. In: Browdy CL, Hopkins JS (eds). Proceedings of the Special Session on Shrimp Farming. The World Aquaculture Society, Baton Rouge, LA. 1995: 183–189.
- Boyd CE, Tucker CS. Pond Aquaculture Water Quality Management. Kluwer, Norwell, MA. 1998.
- Kozasa M. Toyocerin. (Bacillus toyoi) as growth promotor for animal feeding. Microbiol. Aliment. Nutrition 1986; 4: 121–135.
- Porubcan RS. Reduction in chemical oxygen demand and improvement in Penaeus monodon yield in ponds inoculated with aerobic Bacillus bacteria. Program and Abstract of the 22nd Annual Conference and Exposition of the World Aquaculture Socity. World Aquaculture Society, San Juan. 1991; 16–20.
- Gatesoupe FJ. Further advance in the nutritional and antibacterial treatments of rotifers as food for turbot larvae, Scophthalmus maximus L. In: De Pauw N, Jaspers E, Ackefors H, Wilkins N (eds). Aquaculture-a Biotechnology in Progress. European Aquaculture Society, Bredene. 1989; 721–730.
- Gatesoupe FJ. The effect of three strains of lactic bacteria on the production rate of rotifers, Brachion us plicatilis, and their dietary value for larval turbot, Scophthalmus maximus. Aquaculture 1991; 96: 335–342. CrossRef
- Noh SH, Han K, Won TH, Choi YJ. Effect of antibiotics, enzyme, yeast culture and probiotics on the growth performence of Israeli carp. Korean J. Anim. Sci. 1994; 36: 480–486.
- Bogut I, Milakovic Z, Bukvic Z, Brkic S, Zimmer R. Influence of probiotic (Streptococcus faecium M74) on growth and content of intestinal microflora in carp (Cyprinus carpio). Czech J. Anim. Sci. 1998; 43: 231–235.
- Gournier-Chateau N, Larpent JP, Castellanos I, Larpent JL. Les Probiotiques en Alimentation Animale et Humain. Technique et Documentation Lavoisier, Paris. 1994.
- Chuntapa B, Powtongsook S, Menasveta P. Water quality control using Spirulina platensis in shrimp culture tanks. Aquaculture 2003; 220: 355–366. CrossRef
- Shariff M, Yusoff FM, Devaraja TN, Srinivasa Rao PS. The effectiveness of a commercial microbial product in poorly prepared tiger shrimp, Penaeus monodon (Fabricius), ponds. Aquacult Res. 2001; 32: 181–187. CrossRef
- Dong XZ, Cai MZ. Common Manual of Determinative Bacteriology. Science Press, Beijing. 2001.
- Holt JG, Krieg NR, Sneath PHA, Staley JT, Williams ST. Bergey’s Manual of Determinative Bacteriology, 9th edn. Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore. 1994.
- Wei FS. Method on Water and Waste Water Analysis. Environmental. Science of China Press, Beijing. 2002.
- Parsons TR, Maita Y, Lalli CM. A Manual of Chemical and Physical Methods for Sea Water Analysis. Pergamon Press Ltd, Oxford. 1984.
- Gilliland SE, Busta FF, Brinda JJ, Campbell JE. Aerobic plate count. In: Speck ML (ed.). Compendium of Methods for the Microbiological Examination of Foods. American Public Health Association, Washington. 1976; 107–130.
- Austin B. Methods in Aquatic Bacteriology. Wiley Press, New York. 1988.
- Sepers ABJ. Diversity of ammonifying bacteria. Hydrobiologia 1981; 83: 343–350. CrossRef
- Rodina AG. Methods in Aquatic Microbiology. Colwell RR, Zambruski MS (Trans). University Park Press, Baltimore. 1972; 461.
- Ming DX. Biometry and Experimental Design. Agriculture of China Press, Version 3, Beijing. 2002.
- Prayitno SB, Latchford JW. Experimental infections of crustaceans with luminous bacteria related to Photobacterium and Vibrio. Effect of salinity and pH on infectiosity. Aquaculture 1995; 132: 105–112. CrossRef
- Lavilla-Pitogo CR, Baticados MCL, Cruz-Lacierda ER, de la Pena LD. Occurrence of luminous bacterial diseases of Penaeus monodon larvae in the Philippines. Aquaculture 1990; 91: 1–13. CrossRef
- Chanratchakool P, Pearson M, Limsuwan C, Roberts RJ. Oxytetracycline sensitivity of Vibrio species isolated from diseased black tiger shrimp. Penaeus monodon Fabricius. J. Fish Dis. 1995; 18: 79–82. CrossRef
- Xu B, Xu HS Ji WS, Shi J. Pathogens and pathogenicity to Penaeus orientalis Kishinouye. Acta Oceanologica Sinica 1994; 13 (2): 297–304.
- Nash G, Nithimathachoke C, Tungmandi C, Arkarjamorn A, Prathanpipat P, Ruamthaveesub P. Vibriosis and its control in pond-reared Penaeus monodon in Thailand. In: Shariff M, Subasinghe RP, Arthur JR (eds). Diseases in Asian Aquaculture I. Fish Health Section. Asian Fisheries Society, Manila. 1992; 143–155.
- Thomas GM, Ward CH, Raymond RL, Wilson JT, Loehr RC. Bioremediation. In: Leperberg J (ed.). Encyclopedia of Microbiology, Vol 1. Academic Press, New York. 1992; 369–385.
- Yang CH, Huang J. The Harmless and Healthy Technology of Shrimp Culture. Agriculture of China Press, Beijing. 2003.
- Boyd CE, Fast AW. Fond monitoring and management. In: Fast AW, Lester JL (eds). Marine Shrimp Culture-Principles and Practices. Elsevier, Amsterdam. 1992; 497–513.
- Hepher B. Primary production in fishponds and its application to fertilization experiments. Limno. Oceanogr. 1962; 7: 131–135. CrossRef
- The effectiveness of commercial probiotics in northern white shrimp Penaeus vannamei ponds
Volume 71, Issue 5 , pp 1036-1041
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- bacterial population
- Penaeus vannamei
- water quality