Hybrid baculovirus—adeno-associated virus vectors for prolonged transgene expression in human neural cells
- Chaoyang Wang
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To prolong the transient gene expression mediated by baculoviral vector, the inverted terminal repeats and Rep gene of adeno-associated virus were incorporated into the genome of baculovirus, creating a hybrid baculovirus—adeno-associated viral (AAV) vector. By using previously constructed composite neuron-specific and astrocyte-specific promoters in this hybrid viral vector, sustained transgene expressions could be achieved in human neuronal and glial cell lines, but not in the correspondent rodent cell lines. This hybrid baculovirus-AAV vector might be useful for gene therapy of chronic neurological diseases in the central nervous system, such as Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Beritez JA, Segovia JM (2003). Gene therapy targeting in the central nervous system. Curr Gene Ther 3: 127–145. CrossRef
- Carlsson T, Bjorklund T, Kirik D (2007). Restoration of the striatal dopamine synthesis for Parkinson’s disease: viral vector-mediated enzyme replacement strategy. Curr Gene Ther 7: 109–120. CrossRef
- Coura Rdos S, Nardi BN (2007). The state of the art of adeno-associated virus-based vectors in gene therapy. Virol J 4: 99–106. CrossRef
- Costantini LC, Bakowska JC, Breakefield XO, Isacson O (2000). Gene therapy in the CNS. Gene Ther 7: 93–109. CrossRef
- Deglon N, Hantraye P (2005). Viral vectors as tools to model and treat neurodegenerative disorders. J Gene Med 7: 530–539. CrossRef
- Ghosh S, Parvez MK, Banerjee K, Sarin SK, Hasnain SE (2002). Baculovirus as mammalian cell expression vector for gene therapy: an emerging strategy. Mol Ther 6: 5–11. CrossRef
- Glorioso JC, Mata M, Fink DJ (2003). Therapeutic gene transfer to the nervous system using viral vectors. J NeuroVirol 9: 165–172.
- Grieger JC, Samulski RJ (2005). Adeno-associated virus as a gene therapy vector: vector development, production and clinical applications. Adv Biochem Eng Biotechnol 99: 119–145.
- Kost TA, Condreay JP (2002). Recombinant baculoviruses as mammalian cell gene-delivery vectors. Trends Biotechnol 20: 173–180. CrossRef
- Liu BH, Wang X, Ma YX, Wang S (2004). CMV enhancer/ human PDGF-beta promoter for neuron-specific transgene expression. Gene Ther 11: 52–60. CrossRef
- McCarty DM, Young SM Jr, Samulski RJ (2004). Integration of adeno-associated virus (AAV) and recombinant AAV vectors. Annu Rev Genet 38: 819–845. CrossRef
- Palombo F, Monciotti A, Recchia A, Cortese R, Ciliberto G, La Monica N (1998). Site-specific integration in mammalian cells mediated by a new hybrid baculovirus-adeno-associated virus vector. J Virol 72: 5025–5034.
- Rizzuto G, Gorgoni B, Cappelletti M, Lazzaro D, Gloguen I, Poli V, Sgura A, Cimini D, Ciliberto G, Cortese R, Fattori E, La Monica N (1999). Development of animal models for adeno-associated virus site-specific integration. J Virol 73: 2517–2526.
- Sarkis C, Serguera C, Petres S, Buchet D, Ridet JL, Edelman L, Mallet J (2000). Efficient transduction of neural cells in vitro and in vivo by a baculovirus derived vector. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97: 14638–14643. CrossRef
- Segovia J, Vergara P, Brenner M Astrocyte-specific expression of tyrosine hydroxylase after intracerebral gene transfer induces behavioral recovery in experimental parkinsonism. Gene Ther, 5: 1650–1655.
- Wang CY, Wang S (2005). Adeno-associated virus inverted terminal repeats improve neuronal transgene expression mediated by baculoviral vectors in rat brain. Hum Gene Ther 16: 1219–1226. CrossRef
- Wang CY, Wang S (2006). Astrocytic expression of transgene in the rat brain mediated by baculovirus vectors containing an astrocyte-specific promoter. Gene Ther 13: 1447–1456. CrossRef
- Hybrid baculovirus—adeno-associated virus vectors for prolonged transgene expression in human neural cells
Journal of NeuroVirology
Volume 14, Issue 6 , pp 563-568
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- adeno-associated virus
- gene therapy
- hybrid viral vector
- Industry Sectors
- Chaoyang Wang (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Bioengineering and Nanotechnology, Singapore