Potent anti-retroviral therapy with or without cidofovir for AIDS-associated progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy: Extended follow-up of an observational study
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To analyze the clinical efficacy of cidofovir combined with highly active anti-retroviral therapy (HAART) in AIDS-related progressive multifocal leukoen-cepalopathy (PML), a multicenter observational study was performed. Consecutive HIV-positive patients with histologically or virologically proven PML and at least 4 weeks of treatment after diagnosis were examined: 27 patients were treated with HAART, whereas 16 patients were treated with HAART plus cidofovir 5 mg/kg intravenously per week for the first 2 weeks and every other week thereafter. JC virus DNA was quantified in cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) by PCR. Baseline virologic, immunologic, and clinical characteristics as well as HIV RNA and CD4 responses to HAART were homogeneous between the groups. The median follow-up was 132 weeks. In one case (6%), cidofovir was permanently discontinued because of severe proteinuria. One-year cumulative probability of survival was 0.61 with cidofovir and 0.29 without (log rank test P = 0.02). After adjusting for baseline CD4 counts, JC viral load in CSF, Karnofsky, and use of HAART prior to the onset of PML, the use of cidofovir was independently associated with a reduced risk of death (hazard ratio, 0.21, 95% confidence interval, 0.07–0.65; P = 0.005). A randomized study will definitively establish whether cidofovir confers significant advantage over HAART alone in AIDS-related PML.
- Ammassari A, Cingolani A, Pezzotti P, De Luca A, Giancola ML, Larocca LM, Antinori A (2000). AIDS-related focal brain lesions in the era of HAART. Neurology 55: 1194–1200.
- Andrei G, Snoeck R, Vandeputte M, De Clercq E (1997). Activities of various compounds against murine and primate polyomaviruses. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 41: 587–593.
- Berenguer J, Miralles P, Arrizabalaga J, Ribera E, Dronda F, Baraia J, Domingo P, Marquez M, Rodriguez-Arrondo FJ, Laguna F, Rubio R, Lopez-Aldeguer J, De Miguel V, and the Gesida 11/99 Study Group (2001). Clinical course and prognostic factors of AIDS-associated progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy (PML) in patients treated with HAART (GESIDA 11/99). The 8th conference on retroviruses and opportunistic infections, Chicago, February 4–8, 2001, Foundation for Retrovirology and Human Health, p 45, Abstract 10.
- Berger JR, Levy RM, Flomenhoft D, Dobbs M (1998). Predictive factors for prolonged survival in acquired immunodeficiency syndrome-associatedprogressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy. Neurology 44: 341–349.
- Blick G, Whiteside M, Griegor P, Hopkins U, Garton T, LaGravinese L (1998). Successful resolution of progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy after combination therapy with cidofovir and cytosine arabinoside. Clin Infect Dis 26: 191–192. CrossRef
- Brambilla AM, Castagna A, Novati R, Cinque P, Terreni MR, Moioli MC, Lazzarin A (1999). Remission of AIDS-associated progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy after cidofovir therapy. J Neurol 246: 723–725. CrossRef
- De Luca A, Ammassari A, Cingolani A, Giancola ML, Antinori A (1998). Disease progression and poor survival of AIDS-associated progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy despite highly active antiretroviral therapy. AIDS 12: 1937–1938.
- De Luca A, Fantoni M, Tartaglione T, Antinori A (1999). Response to cidofovir after failure of highly active antiretroviral therapy alone in a patient with AIDS-associated progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy. Neurology 52: 891–892.
- De Luca A, Giancola ML, Ammassari A, Grisetti S, Cingolani A, Paglia MG, Govoni A, Murri R, Testa L, d’Arminio Monforte A, Antinori A (2000a). Cidofovir added to HAART improves virological and clinical outcome in AIDS-associated progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy. AIDS 14: F117-F121. CrossRef
- De Luca A, Giancola ML, Ammassari A, Grisetti S, Paglia MG, Gentile M, Cingolani A, Murri R, Liuzzi G, d’Arminio Monforte A, Antinori A (2000b). The effect of potent antiretroviral therapy and JC virus load in cerebrospinal fluid on clinical outcome of patients with AIDS-associated progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy. J Infect Dis 182: 1077–1083. CrossRef
- Dworkin MS, Wan PC, Hanson DL, Jones JL (1999). Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy: improved survival of human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients in the protease inhibitor era. J Infect Dis 180: 621–625. CrossRef
- Gasnault J, Kousignian P, Marchadier E, Karaterki A, DelFraissy JF, Taoufik Y (2001). Cidofovir in AIDS-associated progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy: a monocenter observational study with clinical and JC virus load monitoring. J NeuroVirol, submitted.
- Houston S, Roberts N, Mashinter L (2001). Failure of cidofovir therapy in progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy unrelated to human immunodeficiency virus. Clin Infect Dis 32: 150–152. CrossRef
- Marra CM, Rajicic N, Barker DE, Cohen B, Clifford D, and the ACTG 363 team (2001). Prospective pilot study of cidofovir for HIV-associated progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy. The 8th conference on retroviruses and opportunistic infections, February 4–8, 2001, Foundation for Retrovirology and Human Health, p 223, Abstract 596.
- Meylan PR, Vuadens P, Maeder P, Sahli R, Tagan MC (1999). Monitoring the response of AIDS-related progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy to HAART and cidofovir by PCR for JC virus DNA in the CSF. Eur Neurol 41: 172–174. CrossRef
- Miralles P, Berenguer J, Garcia de Viedma D, Padilla P, Cosin J, Lopez-Bernardo de Quiros JC, Munoz L, Moreno S, Bouza E (1998). Treatment of AIDS-associated progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy with highly active antiretroviral therapy. AIDS 12: 2467–2472. CrossRef
- Moore RD, Chaisson RE (1999). Natural history of HIV infection in the era of combination antiretroviral therapy. AIDS 13: 1933–1942. CrossRef
- Taoufik Y, Gasnault J, Karaterki A, Pierre Ferey M, Marchadier E, Goujard C, Lannuzel A, Delfraissy JF, Dussaix E (1998). Prognostic value of JC virus load in cerebrospinal fluid of patients with progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy. J Infect Dis 178: 1816–1820. CrossRef
- Tassie JM, Gasnault J, Bentata M, Deloumeaux J, Boue F, Billaud E, Costagliola D (1999). Survival improvement of AIDS-related progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy in the era of protease inhibitors. Clinical Epidemiology Group. French Hospital Database on HIV. AIDS 13: 1881–1887. CrossRef
- Yiannoutsos C, Major E, Curfman B, Jensen P, Gravell M, Hou J, Clifford D, Hall C (1999). Relation of JC virus DNA in the CSF to survival in AIDS patients with biopsy-proven progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy. Ann Neurol 45: 816–820. CrossRef
- Potent anti-retroviral therapy with or without cidofovir for AIDS-associated progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy: Extended follow-up of an observational study
Journal of NeuroVirology
Volume 7, Issue 4 , pp 364-368
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- opportunistic infections
- viral infections
- anti-retroviral therapy
- antiviral therapy
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Clinical Infectious Diseases, Università Cattolica del S Cuore, Rome, Italy
- 3. National Institute for Infectious Diseases Lazzaro Spallanzani IRCCS, Rome, Italy
- 4. Institute of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, University of Milan, L Sacco Hospital, Milan, Italy