Successful eradication of citrus canker from Thursday Island
- D. R. Jones
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A campaign to eradicate citrus canker from Thursday Island was initiated in 1984 following the detection of Xanthomonas citri. Ten citrus trees were found with symptoms of the disease over a two-year period. No symptoms of citrus canker have been observed since February 1986. The disease was declared eradicated in September 1988.
- Elliot, C. (1951)—Manual of Bacterial Plant Pathogens, 2nd Ed., Chronica Botanica Company, USA.
- Jones, D.R., Moffett, M.L. and Navaratnam, S.J. (1984)— Citrus canker on Thursday Island. Australasian Plant Pathology 13: 64–65. CrossRef
- Gabriel, D.W., Kingsley, M.T., Hunter, J.E., and Gottwald, T. (1989)—Reinstatement of Xanthomonas citri (ex Hasse) and X. phaseoli (ex Smith) to species and reclassification of all X. campestris pv. citri strains. International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology 39: 14–22. CrossRef
- Goto M., Okita, K. and Okabe, N. (1975)—Studies on saprophytic survival of Xanthomonas citri. 2. Longevity and survival density of the bacterium on artificially infested weeds, plant residues and soil. Annals of the Phytopathological Society of Japan 41: 141–147.
- Moffet, M.L. and Croft, B.J. (1983)—Xanthomonas. In Plant Bacterial Diseases, a Diagnostic Guide. (Eds P.C. Fahy and G.J. Persley), pp. 189–228. Academic Press: New York and London.
- Shivas, R.G. (1987)—Citrus canker (Xanthomonas campestris pv. citri] and banana leaf rust (Uredo musae) at Christmas Island, Indian Ocean. Australasian Plant Pathology 16: 38–39. CrossRef
- Stall, R.E., Miller, J.W., Marco, G.M. and DeEchenique, B.I.C. (1980)—Population dynamics of Xanthomonas citri causing cancrosis of citrus in Argentina. Proceedings of the Florida State Horticultural Society 93: 10–14.
- Successful eradication of citrus canker from Thursday Island
Australasian Plant Pathology
Volume 20, Issue 3 , pp 89-91
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- D. R. Jones (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Plant Pathology Branch, Queensland Department of Primary Industries, Meiers Road, 4068, Indooroopilly, Queensland