Effect of metalaxyl and phosphonate on incidence of cavity spot in carrots
- G. E. Walker
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A single application of metalaxyl to commercial carrot beds at rates between 0.43–2.14 kg/ha from 4 to 14 weeks after sowing, consistently reduced incidence of cavity spot. A single spray of phosphonate on beds at rates from 8–16.5 kg/ha up to 10 weeks after sowing had no effect on incidence of cavity spot. In one trial, phosphonate at 25 kg/ha applied 12 weeks after sowing reduced incidence of cavity spot. Seed dusting with 1.5–6.0 g metalaxyl/kg seed increased seedling survival but reduced root weight at harvest, probably due to increased competition between plants. Pythium ultimum was the most commonly isolated Pythium species from soil and Phytophthora megasperma was also isolated from field soil at the experimental site. Both these fungi were relatively insensitive to phosphonate in vitro.
- Adams, F. and Conrad, J.P. (1953)—Transition of phosphite to phosphate in soils. Soil Science 75: 361–371. CrossRef
- Bompeix, G., Clerjeau, M., Lafon, R. and Malfatti, P. (1984)—Downy mildew: review of the effectiveness of fosetyl-AI against anilide-resistant strains. Phytoma — Defense des cultures No. 361.
- Burr, T.J. and Stangheilini, M.E. (1973)—Propagule nature and density of Pythium aphanidermatum in field soil. Phytopathology 63: 1499–1501. CrossRef
- Coffey, M.D. and Bower, L.A. (1984)—In vitro variability among isolates of eight Phytophthora species in response to phosphorous acid. Phytopathology 74: 738–742. CrossRef
- Diriwachter, G., Sozzi, D., Ney, C. and Staub, T. (1987)— Cross-resistance in Phytophthora infestans and Plasmopara viticola against different phenylamides and unrelated fungicides. Crop Protection 6: 250–255. CrossRef
- Dowson, W.J. (1934)—Phytophthora megasperma Drechsler in Tasmania. Transactions of the British Mycological Society 19: 89–90. CrossRef
- Fenn, M.E. and Coffey, M.D. (1984)—Studies on the in vitro and in vivo antifungal activity of fosetyl-AI and phosphorous acid. Phytopathology 74:606–6111. CrossRef
- Gladders, P. and Crompton, J.G. (1984)—Comparisons of fungicides for control of cavity spot in carrots. Annals of Applied Biology Supplement 104: 36–37.
- Lyshol, A.J., Semb, L. and Taksdal, G. (1984)—Reduction of cavity spot and root dieback in carrots by fungicide applications, Plant Pathology 33: 193–198. CrossRef
- Mcintosh, D.L. (1964)—Phytophthora spp. in soil of the Okanagan and Simifikameen Valleys of British Columbia. Canadian Journal of Botany 42: 1411–1415. CrossRef
- Ouimette, D.G. and Coffey, M.D. (1988)—Quantitative analysis of organic phosphonates, phosphonate and other inorganic anions in plants and soil by using high-performance ion chromatography. Phytopathology 78: 1150–1155. CrossRef
- Robertson, G.I. (1973)—Pathogenicity of Pythium spp. to seeds and seedling roots. New Zealand Journal of Agricultural Research 16: 367–372.
- Robertson, G.I. (1976)—Pythium species in market gardens and their pathogenicity to fourteen vegetable crops. New Zealand Journal of Agricultural Research 19: 97–102.
- Tsao, P.H. and Ocana, G. (1969)—Selective isolations of species of Phytophthora from natural soils on an improved antibiotic medium. Nature 223: 636–638. CrossRef
- Van der Plaats-Niterink, A J. (1981)—Monograph of the Genus Pythium. Studies in Mycology No. 21. Centraal-bureau Voor Schimmelcultures: Baarn.
- Walker, G.E. (1988)—Control of carrot cavity spot with metalaxyl and phosphorous acid. Australasian Plant Pathology 17: 41–44. CrossRef
- Waterhouse, G.M. (1963)—Key to the species of Phytophthora De Bary. Commonwealth Mycological Institute, Mycological Papers No. 92.
- Waterhouse, G.M. (1967)—Key to Pythium Pringsheim. Commonwealth Mycological institute, Mycological Papers No. 109.
- Wheatley, G.A., Hardman, J.A. and Edmonds, G.H. (1984)—Effects of metalaxyl and carbofuran in a fluid-drilling gel on cavity spot incidence and the yield of carrots. Annals of Applied Biology Supplement 104: 38–39.
- White, J.G. (1986)—The association of Pythium spp. with cavity spot and root dieback of carrots. Annals of Applied Biology 109: 265–273. CrossRef
- White, N.H. (1945)—Fungal soft rot of carrots. Tasmanian Journal of Agriculture 16: 59–60.
- Effect of metalaxyl and phosphonate on incidence of cavity spot in carrots
Australasian Plant Pathology
Volume 20, Issue 1 , pp 21-26
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- G. E. Walker (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Agriculture, Box 411, 5333, Loxton, South Australia