The control of black pod, canker and seedling blight of cocoa, caused by Phytophthora palmivora, with potassium phosphonate
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Trunk injected potassium phosphonate (8 or 16 g a.i. per tree every 6 months) controls black pod and stem canker of cocoa: Foliar sprays of potassium phosphonate (20 g a.i. per tree every 6 months) or Ridomil Plus 72WP (0.72 g a.i. per tree every 6 weeks during the wet season) do not control black pod. Trunk injection is less weather dependent than foliar sprays, and is a more effective application method for mature trees in the cocoa growing areas of Papua New Guinea. Single Ridomil Plus 72WP (0.8%) or potassium phosphonate (4%) sprays control artificially inoculated seedling blight more effectively than either a lower rate of potassium phosphonate (0.5%) spray or a soil drench of potassium phosphonate (1%).
- Anderson R.D., Middleton R.M. and Guest D.I. (1989)— Development of a bioassay to test the effect of phosphorous acid on black pod of cocoa. Mycological Research 93: 110–112. CrossRef
- Jollands P. (1985)—Black pod control using knapsack pressure sprayers. Cocoa Board of Papua New Guinea, Technical Bulletin No. 4.
- McGregor A.J. (1982)—Evaluation of fungicides for control of black pod in Papua New Guinea. Proceedings of the International Conference of Plant Protection in the Tropics. Kuala Lumpur, March 1–4, pp. 1–8.
- McGregor A.J. (1984)—Control of Phytophthora seedling blight of cocoa. Papua New Guinea Journal of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries 33: 39–50.
- Prior C. and Sitapai E. (1980)—Resistance of clonal cocoa in Papua New Guinea to bark canker caused by Phytophthora palmivora (Butl.) Butl. Tropical Agriculture (Trinidad) 57: 167–169.
- The control of black pod, canker and seedling blight of cocoa, caused by Phytophthora palmivora, with potassium phosphonate
Australasian Plant Pathology
Volume 19, Issue 4 , pp 127-129
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors