Efficacy of potassium phosphonate in controlling Phytophthora root rot of subterranean clover and ornamental plants in Victoria
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The efficacy of phosphonic acid (phosphorous acid) (Foli-R-Fos 200, 20% wlv potassium phosphonate) to control root rots of subterranean clover and ornamental plant species caused by Phytophthora spp. was evaluated. The fungicide effectively protected subterranean clover plants (cv. Woogenellup) from severe tap-root rot caused by P. clandestina in irrigated pastures and also protected several ornamental species grown in pasteurised potting mixes from severe root rot caused by either P. cinnamomi or P. cryptogea. The fungicide has the potential to restore the productivity of pastures based on the root rot susceptible subterranean clover cultivar Woogenellup in irrigated areas and offers an alternative to currently registered fungicides for the control of Phytophthora root rot of ornamental plant species.
- De Boer, R.F., Greenhalgh, F.C., Pegg, K.G., Mayers, P.E., Lim, T.M. and Flett, S. (1990)—Phosphorous acid treatments control Phytophthora diseases in Australia. European Plant Protection Organisation Bulletin 20: 193–197.
- Greenhalgh, F.C., Merriman, P.R. and Keane, P.J. (1985)—Relative importance of root rots of subterranean clover caused by Aphanomyces euteiches and Phytophthora clandestina. Plant Pathology 37: 344–350. CrossRef
- Greenhalgh, F.C. and Taylor, P.A. (1985)—Phytophthora clandestina, cause of severe tap root rot of subterranean clover in Victoria, Australia. Plant Disease 69: 1002–1004. CrossRef
- Pegg, K.G., Whiley, A.W., Langdon, P.W. and Saranah, J.B. (1987)—Comparison of fosetyl-Al, phosphorous acid and metalaxyl for the long-term control of Phytophthora root rot of avocado. Australian Journal of Experimental Agriculture 27: 471–474. CrossRef
- Pegg, K.G., Whiley, A.W., Saranah J.B. and Glass R.J. (1985)—Control of Phytophthora root rot of avocado with phosphorous acid. Australasian Plant Pathology 14: 25–29. CrossRef
- Strang, P.J. and Greenhalgh, F.C. (1989)—Evaluation of Fosject 200 sprays for the control of Phytophthora root rot of azaleas. Fungicide and Nematicide Tests 44: 265.
- Efficacy of potassium phosphonate in controlling Phytophthora root rot of subterranean clover and ornamental plants in Victoria
Australasian Plant Pathology
Volume 19, Issue 4 , pp 124-125
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors