Investigation of fungi associated with stem cankers of eucalypts in Tasmania, Australia
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A survey of stem fungi and associated canker diseases in eucalypts in natural forest and plantations was conducted in Tasmania. A total of 209 samples representing 29 fungal species was obtained. Thirteen of the fungal species detailed in this survey have not been described or previously reported in Australia. The three species most frequently encountered were Endothia gyrosa, Cytospora eucalypticola and Valsa sp., constituting 23.9%, 20.6% and 12.9%, respectively, of the 209 collections. They were ubiquitous, with each species found on more than ten eucalypt species. Fungal species with low incidence but associated with severe cankers were Harknessia cf. eucalypti, Phoma sp., Seiridium eucalypti and Zythiostroma sp.
- Azevedo, N.F. dos Santos de (1971) — Forest Tree Diseases. Laboratorio de Patologia Forestal Secretaria de Estado da Agricultura, Oeiras, Portugal.
- Davison, E.M. and Tay, F.C.S. (1983) — Twig, branch and upper trunk cankers of Eucalyptus marginata. Plant Disease 67: 1285–1287. CrossRef
- Fisher, P.J., Petrini, O. and Sutton, B.C. (1993) — A comparative study of fungal endophytes in leaves, xylem and bark of Eucalyptusnitens in Australia and England. Sydowia 45: 338–345.
- Gibson, I.A.S (1975) — Diseases ofForest Trees Mdely Planted as Exotics in the Tropics and Southern Hemisphere. Part I. Important members of the Myrtaceae, Leguminosae, Verbenaceae and Meliaceae. Commonwealth Mycological Institute & Commonwealth Forestry Institute, Kew & Oxford, UK.
- Nag Raj, T.R. (1993) — Coelomycetous Anamorphs with Appendage-bearing Conidia. Mycologue Publications, Waterloo, Canada.
- Old, K.M., Murray, D.I.L., Kile, G.A., Simpson, J. and Malafant, K.W.J. (1986) — The pathology of fungi isolated from eucalypt cankers in south-eastern Australia Australian Forest Research 16: 21–36.
- Old, K.M., Gibbs, R., Craig, I., Myers, B.J. and Yuan, Z.Q. (1990) — Effect of drought and defoliation on the susceptibility of eucalypts to cankers caused by Endothia gyrosa and Botryosphaeria ribis. Australian Journal of Botany 38: 571–581. CrossRef
- Old, K.M., Yuan, Z.Q. and Kobayashi, T. (1991) — A Valsa teleomorph for Cytospora eucalypticola. Mycological Research 95: 1253–1256. CrossRef
- Shearer, B.L (1994) — The major plant pathogens occurring in natural ecosystems of south-western Australia. Journal of the Royal Society of Western Australia 77: 113–122.
- Shearer, B.L., Fairman, R.G. and Bathgate, J.A. (1995) — Cryptodiaporthe melanocraspeda canker as a threat to Banksia coccinea on the south coast of western Australia. Plant Disease 79: 637–641. CrossRef
- Shearer, B.L., Tippett, J.T. and Bartle, J.R. (1987) — Bottyosphaeria ribis infection associated with death of Eucalyptus radiata in species selection trials. Plant Disease 71: 140–145. CrossRef
- Shivas, R.G. (1989) — Fungal and bacterial diseases of plants in Western Australia. Journal of the Royal Society of Western Australia 72: 1–62.
- Sutton, B.C. (1980) — The Ceolomycetes. CAB International Mycological Institute, Kew, UK.
- Wall E. and Keane, P.J. (1984) — Leaf spot of eucalyptus caused by Aulographina eucalypti. Transactions of the British Mycological Society 82: 257–273. CrossRef
- Yuan, Z.Q. and Old, K.M. (1995) — Seiridium eucalypti, a potential stem canker pathogen of eucalypts in Australia. Australasian Plant Pathology 24: 173–178. CrossRef
- Yuan, Z.Q. and Mohammed, C. (1997a) — Wuestneia epispora sp. nov. on stems of eucalypts from Australia. Mycological Research 101: 196–200.
- Yuan, Z.Q. and Mohammed, C. (1997b) — Seiridium papillatum, a new species (mitosporic fungus) described on stems of eucalypts in Australia. Australian Systematic Botany 10: 69–75. CrossRef
- Yuan, Z. Q. and Mohammed, C. (1997c) — New species and new records of ascomycetes on stems of eucalypts from Tasmania, Australia. Mycotaxon 63: 9–23.
- Investigation of fungi associated with stem cankers of eucalypts in Tasmania, Australia
Australasian Plant Pathology
Volume 26, Issue 2 , pp 78-84
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links