Effects and incidence of Cucumber mosaic virus, Watermelon mosaic virus and Zucchini yellow mosaic virus in New Zealand’s only native cucurbit, Sicyo s australis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Stcyos australis is New Zealand’s only native cucurbit and is a rare, endangered species. It has been suggested that viruses, introduced to New Zealand with cucurbit crops, may be a contributing factor to its decline over the last 50 years. Cucumber mosaic virus (CMV) and Zucchini yellow mosaic virus (ZYMV) are important viruses of cucurbit crops, and are present together with their aphid vectors in New Zealand. This study investigated the effects of infection by these viruses on S. australis growth, and the incidence of cucurbit virus diseases in remnant populations of S. australis. Experimental infections with CMV isolates NZ100 and NZ119 caused severe symptoms that appeared 2–3 weeks post-inoculation. Symptoms included leaf distortion, mosaic, vein chlorosis, reduced leaf size and a general reduction in growth of up to 72% for CMV NZ100 and up to 65% for CMV NZl19. ZYMV infection resulted in mild symptoms that developed within 3 weeks post-inoculation and caused no significant growth reduction. An ELISA survey in remnant populations of S. australis detected ZYMV and Watermelon mosaic virus (WMV) at 5 and 3 sites, respectively, while CMV was detected only once. The identification of CMV and ZYMV in these populations was confirmed by RT-PCR. The ZYMV product was sequenced, demonstrating that S. australis is a natural host of these viruses.
- Allan HH (1961) ‘Flora of New Zealand.’ (PD Hasselberg, Government Printer: Wellington, NZ)
- Ashby JW (1977) Infection of karaka (Corynocarpus laevigatus J.R. & G. Forst.) by cucumber mosaic virus. New Zealand Journal of Agricultural Research 20, 533–534.
- Brunt AA, Crabtree K, Dallwitz MJ, Gibbs AJ, Watson L (1996) ‘Viruses of plants—description and lists from the VIDE database.’ (CAB International: Wallingford, UK)
- Burgmans JL, Fry PR, Sunde RG (1986) Peppers: survey of virus diseases of Capsicum annuum in Hawke’s Bay and Poverty Bay. New Zealand Journal of Experimental Agriculture 14, 459–463.
- Cameron EK (1992) Decline of mawhai (Sicyos australis). New Zealand Botanical Society Newsletter 28, 11–12.
- Davis LT, Guy PL (2001) Introduced plant viruses and the invasion of a native grass flora. Biological Invasions 3, 89–95. doi: 10.1023/A: 1011464804245 CrossRef
- Desbiez C, Lecoq H (1997) Zucchini yellow mosaic virus.Plant Pathology 46, 809–829. doi: 10. 1046/j. 1365-3059.1997.d01-87.x CrossRef
- Fletcher JD (1993) Surveys of virus disease in pea, lentil, dwarf and broad bean in South Island New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Crop and Horticultural Science 20, 319–337.
- Fletcher JD (1996) Zucchini yellow mosaic virus in buttercup squash— a new record in New Zealand. Australasian Plant Pathology 25, 142. dol: 10.1071/AP96024 CrossRef
- Fletcher JD, Wallace AR (2000) Potyviruses in New Zealand buttercup squash (Cucurbita maxima Duch.): yields and quality effects of ZYMV and WMV 2 virus infections. New Zealand Journal of Crop and Horticultural Science 28, 17–26. CrossRef
- Fletcher JD, Russell AC, Butler RC (1999) Seed-borne Cucumber mosaic virus in New Zealand lentil crops: yield effects and disease incidence. New Zealand Journal of Crop and Horticultural Science 27, 197–204. CrossRef
- Fletcher JD, Herman TJB, Travis GR, Lister RA, Butler RC (2003) Squash mosaic viruses in New Zealand. Proceedings of the 8th International Congress of Plant Pathology 2, 306.
- Friess N, Maillet J (1997) Influence of cucumber mosaic virus infection on the competitive ability and rep reproduction of chickweed (Stellaria medias). New Phytopathologist 135, 667–674. doi: doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.1997.00694.x CrossRef
- Garcia-Arenal F, Escriu F, Aranda MA, Alonso-Prados JL, Malpica JM, Fraile A (2000) Molecular epidemiology of Cucumber mosaic virus and its satellite RNA. Virus Research 71, 1–8. doi: 10.1016 /S01681702(00)00183-0 CrossRef
- Gibbs A, Mackenzie A (1997) A primer pair for amplifying part of the genome of all poryvirids by RT-PCR. Journal of Virological Methods 63, 9–16. doi: 10.1016/S0166-0934(96)02103-9 CrossRef
- Langeveld SA, Dore JM, Memelink J, Derks AFLM, van der Vlugt CIM, Asjes CJ, Bol JF (1991) Identification of potyviruses using the polymerase chain reaction with degenerate primers. The Journal of General Virology 72,1531–15411. CrossRef
- Lin HX, Rubio L, Smythe A, Jiminez M, Falk B (2003) Genetic diversity and biological variation among California isolates of Cucumber mosaic virus. The Journal of General Virology 84, 249–258. doi: 10.1099/vir.0.18673-0 CrossRef
- Palukaitis P, Roossinck MJ, Dietzgen RG, Francki RI (1992) Cucumber Mosaic Virus. Advances in Virus Research 41, 281–348. CrossRef
- Roossinck MJ (2001) Cucumber Mosaic Virus, a model for RNA virus evolution. Molecular Plant Pathology 2, 59–63. doi: 10.1046/j.1364-3703.2001.00058.x CrossRef
- Ross JH, Walsh NG (2003) ‘Census of the vascular plants of Victoria.’ 7th edn. (National Herbarium of Victoria, Royal Botanic Gardens: South Yarra, Vic.)
- Sambrook J, Russel DW (2001) ‘Molecular cloning.’ 3rd edn. (Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press: Cold Spring Harbor, NY)
- Telford I (1997) Morphological variation in the Sicyos australis Endl. complex (Cucurbitaceae) and a preliminary investigation of the sectional classification of the genus. In ‘Division of Botany and Zoology, Graduate Diploma in Science’. p. 61. (The Australian National University: Canberra)
- Thomas W (1971a) Watermelom mosaic virus, a disease of cucurbits in New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Agricultural Research 14, 235–241.
- Thomas W (1971b) The incidence and economic importance of Watermelon mosaic virus. New Zealand Journal of Agricultural Research 14, 242–247.
- Thomson AD (1976) Virus diseases of Sotanum laciniatum Ait. in New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Agricultural Research 19, 521–527.
- Thomson AD, Ebdon SC (1999) Viruses affecting indigenous plants: a note on the susceptibility of Sicyos australis Endl. to Cucumber mosaic virus. New Zealand Botanical Society Newsletter 57, 20–21.
- Thomson KG, Dietzgen RG, Gibbs AJ, Tang YC, Liesack W, Teakle DS, Stackebrandt E (1995) Identification of Zucchini yellow mosaic potyvirus by RT-PCR and a nalysis of sequence variability. Journal of Virological Methods 55, 83–96. doi: 10.1016/01660934(95)00047-X CrossRef
- Wang HL (1992) Comparative biological and serological properties of four strains of zucchini yellow mosaic virus. Plant Disease 76, 530–535. CrossRef
- Wylie S, Wilson CR, Jones RAC, Jones MGK (1993) A polymerase chain reaction assay for Cucumber mosaic virus in lupin seeds. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 44, 41–45. doi: 10.1071/AR9930041 CrossRef
- Effects and incidence of Cucumber mosaic virus, Watermelon mosaic virus and Zucchini yellow mosaic virus in New Zealand’s only native cucurbit, Sicyo s australis
Australasian Plant Pathology
Volume 35, Issue 1 , pp 29-35
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Cucumber mosaic virus
- New Zealand
- Sicyos australis
- Watermelon mosaic virus
- Zucchini yellow mosaic virus
- Industry Sectors