Resistance to crown rot in wheat identified through an improved method for screening adult plants
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
An improved method has been devised for the screening of cereals with crown rot caused by Fusarium species. By growing plants in open-ended tubes set into galvanised baskets which are then placed on sand in outdoor terraces, it is possible to screen large numbers of plants, detecting adult plant resistance, using precise quantities of a single pathogen species. This ‘Terrace’ system has been used to seek alternative sources of resistance to crown rot in tetraploid and hexaploid wheats and to demonstrate that resistance in check cultivars is effective against both F. pseudograminearum and F. culmorum. Adult plant resistance in the cv. Kukri has been investigated using the Terraces and bulked segregant analysis of doubled haploid lines, and a resistance locus with polymorphic markers has been identified on chromosome 4B near the dwarfing gene Rht1.
- Backhouse D, Abubakar AA, Burgess LW, Dennis JI, Hollaway GJ, Wildermuth GB, Wallwork H, Henry FJ (2004) Survey of Fusarium species associated with crown rot of wheat and barley in eastern Australia. Australasian Plant Pathology (in press).
- Burgess LW, Wearing AH, Toussoun TA (1975) Surveys of Fusaria associated with crown rot in eastern Australia. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 26, 791–799. CrossRef
- Chalmers KJ, Campbell AW, Kretschmer J, Karakousis A, Henschke PH, Harker N, Pallotta M, Cornish GB, Shariflou MR, Rampling LR, McLauchlan A, Daggard G, Sharp PJ, Holton TA, Sutherland MR, Appels R, Langridge P (2001) Construction of three linkage maps in bread wheat, Triticum aestivum. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 52, 1089–1119. doi:10.1071/AR01081 CrossRef
- Dodman RL, Wildermuth GB (1987) Inoculation methods for assessing resistance in wheat to crown rot caused by Fusarium graminearum Group 1. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 38, 473–486.
- Dodman RL, Wildermuth GB, Klein TA, Ellison FW (1985) Field resistance of wheat cultivars to crown rot (Fusarium graminearum Group 1). In ‘Ecology and management of soilborne plant pathogens’. (Eds CA Parker, AD Rovira, KJ Moore, PTW Wong) pp. 167–168. (American Phytopathological Society: St Paul, MI, USA)
- Kammholz SJ, Campbell AW, Sutherland MW, Hollamby GJ, Martin PJ, Eastwood RF, Barclay I, Wilson RE, Brennan PS, Sheppard JA (2001) Establishment and characterisationof wheat genetic mapping populations. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 52, 1079–1089. doi:10.1071/AR01043 CrossRef
- Klein TA, Liddell CM, Burgess LW, Ellison FW (1985) Glasshouse testing for tolerance of wheat to crown rot caused by Fusarium graminearum Group 1. In ‘Ecology and management of soilborne plant pathogens’. (Eds CA Parker, AD Rovira, KJ Moore, PTW Wong) pp. 167–168. (American Phytopathological Society: St Paul, MI, USA)
- Manly KF, Cudmore RH Jr, Meer JM (2001) Map Manager QTX, cross-platform software for genetic mapping. Mammalian Genome 12, 930–932. doi: 10.1007/S00335-001-1016-3 CrossRef
- Manly KF, Olson JH (1999) Overview of QTL mapping software and introduction to Map Manager QT. Mammalian Genome 10, 327–334. CrossRef
- Michelmore RW, Paran I, Kesseli RV (1991) Identification of markers linked to disease resistance genes by bulked segregant analysis: a rapid method to detect markers in specific genomic regions using segregating populations. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 88, 9828–9832. CrossRef
- Nelson KE, Burgess LW (1994) Reaction of Australian cultivars of oats and barley to infection by Fusarium graminearum Group 1. Australian Journal of Experimental Agriculture 34, 655–658. CrossRef
- Purss GS (1966) Studies of varietal resistance to crown rot of wheat caused by Fusarium graminearum Schw. Queensland Journal of Agricultural and Animal Sciences 23, 475–498.
- Röder MS, Korzun V, Wendehake K, Plaschke J, Tixier M, Leroy P, Ganal MW (1998) A microsatellite map of wheat. Genetics 149, 2007–2023.
- Wildermuth GB, Purss GS (1971) Further sources of field resistance to crown rot (Gibberella zeae) of cereals in Queensland. Australian Journal of Experimental Agriculture and Animal Husbandry 11, 455–459. CrossRef
- Wildermuth GB, McNamara RB (1994) Testing wheat seedlings for resistance to crown rot caused by Fusarium graminearum Group 1. Plant Disease 78, 949–953. CrossRef
- Wildermuth GB, McNamara RB, Quick JS (2001) Crown depth and susceptibility to crown rot in wheat. Euphytica 122, 397–405. CrossRef
- Williams KJ, Taylor SP, Bogacki P, Pallotta M, Bariana HS, Wallwork H (2002) Mapping of the root lesion nematode (Pratylenchus neglectus) resistance gene Rlnnl in wheat. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 104, 874–879. doi:10.1007/S00122-001-0839-3 CrossRef
- Resistance to crown rot in wheat identified through an improved method for screening adult plants
Australasian Plant Pathology
Volume 33, Issue 1 , pp 1-7
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Fusarium pseudograminearum
- Fusarium culmorum
- molecular marker
- Triticum aestivum
- Industry Sectors