Interspecific hybrids between the homothallic Phytophthora sojae and Phytophthora vignae
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
An interspecific cross was attempted between two homothallic species of Phytophthora, P. sojae and P. vignae. From 1640 single-oospore cultures isolated, DNA was extracted from 800, and two interspecific F1 hybrids (F1 1121 and F1 1426) were putatively identified using RAPD markers. The true hybrid nature of these F1 hybrids was confirmed using additional AFLP analysis. Single-zoospore cultures were generated for each F1 hybrid and one single-zoospore culture of each was used in pathogenicity and virulence tests. Both F1 hybrids were pathogenic to soybean and cowpea, causing symptoms including lesions, wilting and death of susceptible soybean and cowpea cultivars. However, the aggressiveness of the F1 hybrids was reduced and was substantially more variable when compared with that of the parental isolates on their respective hosts. The F1 hybrids were reisolated from infected seedlings and their hybrid nature confirmed using RAPD and AFLP analysis. These results provide a basis for further research aimed at obtaining an increased understanding of the genetics of host specificity in the Oomycetes.
- Baillieul F, Fritig B, Kauffmann S (1996) Occurrence among Phytophthora species of a glycoprotein eliciting a hypersensitive response in tobacco and its relationships with elicitins. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 9, 214–216. CrossRef
- Boccas B, Zentmyer GA (1976) Genetical studies with interspecific crosses between Phytophthora cinnamomi and Phytophthora parasitica. Phytopathology 66, 477–484. CrossRef
- Brasier CM, Cooke DEL, Duncan JM (1999) Origin of a new Phytophthora pathogen through interspecific hybridization. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 96, 5878–5883. CrossRef
- Brasier CM, Hansen EM (1992) Evolutionary biology of Phytophthora. II. Phylogeny, speciation, and population structure. Annual Review of Phytopathology 30, 173–200. CrossRef
- Cooke DEL, Drenth A, Duncan JM, Wagels G, Brasier CM (2000) A molecular phylogeny of Phytophthora and related Oomycetes. Fungal Genetics and Biology 30, 17–32. CrossRef
- Drenth A, Goodwin SB, Fry WE, Davidse LC (1993) Genotypic diversity of Phytophthora infestans in the Netherlands revealed by DNA polymorphisms. Phytopathology 83, 1087–1092. CrossRef
- Ellingboe AH (1976) Genetics of host parasite interactions. In ‘Encyclopaedia of plant physiology’. (Eds R Heitefuss, PH Williams) pp. 761–778. (Springer Verlag: Berlin)
- Érsek T, English JT, Schoelz JE (1995) Creation of species hybrids of Phytophthora with modified host ranges by zoospore fusion. Phytopathology 85, 1343–1347. CrossRef
- Erwin DC, Ribiero OK (1996) ‘Phytophthora diseases worldwide.’ (APS Press: St Paul, Minnesota, USA)
- Goodwin SB, Fry WE (1994) Genetic analyses of interspecific hybrids between Phytophthora infestans and Phytophthora mirabilis. Experimental Mycology 18, 20–32. CrossRef
- Haasis FA, Nelson RR (1963) Studies on the biological relationship of species of Phytophthora as measured by oospore formation in intra and interspecific crosses. Plant Disease Reporter 47, 705–709.
- Hildebrand AA (1959) A root and stalk rot of soybeans caused by Phytophthora megasperma Drechsler var. sojae var. nov. Canadian Journal of Botany 37, 927–957. CrossRef
- Hwang JK, Qi PK (1984) A study on Phytophthora of yard-long bean. Acta Phytopathotogica Sinica 14, 193–199.
- Kamoun S, Klucher KM, Coffey MD, Tyler BM (1993a) A gene encoding a host-specific elicitor prote in of Phytophthora parasitica. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 6, 573–581. CrossRef
- Kamoun S, Van West P, De Jong AJ, De Groot KE, Vleeshouwers VGAA, Govers F (1997) A gene encoding a protein elicitor of Phytophthora infestans is down-regulated during infection of potato. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 10, 13–20. CrossRef
- Kamoun S, Van West P, Vleeshouvers VGAA, De Groot KE, Govers F (1998) Resistance of Nicotiana benthamiana to Phytophthora infestans is mediated by the recognition of the elicitor protein INF 1. The Plant Cell 10, 1413–1425. CrossRef
- Kamoun S, Young M, Förster H, Coffey MD, Tyler BM (1994) Potential role of elicitins in the interaction between Phytophmora species and tobacco. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 60, 1593–1598.
- Kamoun S, Young M, Glascock CB, Tyler BM (1993b) Extracellular protein elicitors from Phytophthora: host-specificity and induction of resistance to bacterial and fungal phytopathogens. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 6, 15–25. CrossRef
- Kitazawa K, Suzui T, Yanagita K (1979) Pathogenicity of Phytophthora vignae Purss to adzuki-bean and cowpea. Annals of the Phytopathological Society of Japan 45, 406–408.
- Laugé R, De Wit PJGM (1998) Fungal avirulence genes: structure and possible functions. Fungal Genetics and Biology 24, 285–297. CrossRef
- Liew ECY, Maclean DJ, Manners JM, Dawson D, Irwin JAG (1991) Use of restriction fragment length polymorphisms to study genetic relationships between Australian and Japanese isolates of Phytophthora vignae. Australian Journal of Botany 39, 335–346. CrossRef
- Man in’t Veld WA, Veenbaas-Rijks WJ, Ilieva E, de Cock AWAM, Bonants PJM, Pieters R (1998) Natural hybrids of Phytophthora nicotianae and Phytophthora cactorum demonstrated by isozyme analysis and Random Amplified Polymorphic DNA. Phytopathology 88, 922–929. CrossRef
- McDonald MB, Elliot LJ, Sweeney PM (1994) DNA extraction from dry seeds for RAPD analyses in varietal identification studies. Seed Science and Technology 22, 171–176.
- Parker JE, Schulte W, Hahlbrock K, Scheel D (1991) An extracellular glycoprotein from Phytophthora megasperma f.sp. glycinea elicits phytoalexin synthesis in cultured parsley cells and protoplasts. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 4, 19–27. CrossRef
- Purss GS (1957) Stem rot: a disease of cowpeas caused by an undescribed species of Phytophthora. The Queensland Journal of Agricultural Science 14, 125–154.
- Purss GS (1972) Pathogenic specialisation in Phytophthora vignae. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 23, 453–456. CrossRef
- Ribiero OK (1978) ‘A source book of the genus Phytophthora.’ (J Cramer: Vaduz, Germany)
- Ricci P, Trentin F, Bonnet P, Venard P, Mouton-Perronnet F, Bruneteau M (1992) Differential production of parasiticein, an elicitor of necrosis and resistance in tobacco, by isolates of Phytophthora parasitica. Plant Pathology 41, 298–307. CrossRef
- Sacks W, Nürnberger T, Hahlbrock K, Scheel D (1995) Molecular characterization of nucleotide sequences encoding the extracellular glycoprotein elicitor from Phytophthora megasperma. Molecular and General Genetics 246, 45–55. CrossRef
- Sansome E, Brasier CM, Hamm PB (1991) Phytophthora meadii may be a species hybrid. Mycological Research 95, 273–277. CrossRef
- Savage EJ, Clayton CW, Hunter JH, Brenneman JA, Laviola C, Gallegly ME (1968) Homothallism, heterothallism, and interspecific hybridization in the genus Phytophthora. Phytopathology 58, 1004–1021.
- Stamps DJ, Waterhouse GM, Newhook FJ, Hall GS (1990) Revised tabular key to the species of Phytophthora. Mycological Papers 162, 1–28.
- Tyler BM, Förster H, Coffey MD (1995). Inheritance of avirulence factors and RFLP markers in outcrosses of the Oomycete Phytophthora sojae. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 8, 515–523. CrossRef
- Vorobèva YV, Gridnev VV (1981) Crossability of various heterothallic species of Phytophthora fungi. Genetika 17, 992–995.
- Vorobèva YV, Gridnev VV (1983) Genetics of Phytophthora species. II. Interspecific hybridization of Phytophthora species and its role in the formative process in nature. Genetika 19, 1786–1789.
- Vos P, Hogers R, Bleeker M, Reijans M, van der Lee T, Homes M, Frijters A, Pot J, Peleman J, Kuiper M, Zabeau M (1995) AFLP: a new technique for DNA finger printing. Nucleic Acids Research 23, 4407–4414. CrossRef
- Whisson SC, Drenth A, Maclean DJ, Irwin JAG (1994) Evidence for outcrossing in Phytophthora sojae and linkage of a DNA marker to two avirulence genes. Current Genetics 27, 77–82. CrossRef
- Whisson SC, Drenth A, Maclean DJ, Irwin JAG (1995) Phytophthora sojae avirulence genes, RAPD, and RFLP markers used to construct a detailed genetic linkage map. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 8, 988–995. CrossRef
- Whisson SC, Liew ECY, Howlett BJ, Maclean DJ, Manners JM, Irwin JAG (1993) An assessment of genetic relationships between members of the Phytophthora megasperma complex and Phytophthora vignae using molecular markers. Australian Journal of Systematic Botany 6, 295–308. CrossRef
- Interspecific hybrids between the homothallic Phytophthora sojae and Phytophthora vignae
Australasian Plant Pathology
Volume 32, Issue 3 , pp 353-359
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- host specificity
- Industry Sectors