Primary care delivery is associated with greater physician experience and improved survival among persons with AIDS
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
OBJECTIVE: It has been shown that greater physician experience in the care of persons with AIDS prolongs survival, but how more experienced primary care physicians achieve better outcomes is not known.
DESIGN/SETTING/PATIENTS: Retrospective cohort study of HIV-infected patients enrolled in a large staff-model health maintenance organization from 1990 through 1999.
MEASUREMENTS: Adjusted odds of medical service delivery and adjusted hazard ratio of death by physician experience level (least, moderate, most) and service utilization.
MAIN RESULTS: Primary care delivery by physicians with greater AIDS experience was associated with improved survival. After controlling for disease severity, patients cared for by the most experienced physicians were twice as likely to receive a primary care visit in a given month compared with patients of the least and moderately experienced physicians (P<.01). Patients of the least experienced physicians received the lowest level of outpatient pharmacy and laboratory services (P<.001) and were half as likely to have a specialty care visit compared with patients of the most and moderately experienced physicians (P<.05). Patients who received infrequent primary care visits by the least experienced physicians were 15.3 times more likely to die than patients of the most experienced physicians (P=.02). There was a significant increase in primary care services delivered to the population of HIV-infected patients receiving care in 1999, when highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) was in general use, compared with the time period prior to the introduction of HAART.
CONCLUSIONS: Primary care delivery by physicians with greater HIV experience contributes to improved patient outcomes.
- Kitahata M, Koepsell T, Deyo R, Maxwell C, Dodge W, Wagner E. Physicians’ experience with the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome as a factor in patients’ survival. N Engl J Med. 1996;334:701–6. CrossRef
- Graham N, Zeger S, Park L, et al. The effects on survival of early treatment of human immunodeficiency virus infection. N Engl J Med. 1992;326:1037–42. CrossRef
- Osmond D, Charlebois E, Lang W, Shiboski S, Moss A. Changes in AIDS survival time in two San Francisco cohorts of homosexual men, 1983 to 1993. JAMA. 1994;271:1083–7. CrossRef
- Kelly J, Chu S, Buehler J. AIDS deaths shift from hospital to home. AIDS Mortality Project Group. Am J Public Health. 1993;83:1433–7. CrossRef
- Hellinger F. Forecasts of the costs of medical care for persons with HIV: 1992–1995. Inquiry. 1992;29:356–65.
- Hellinger F. The lifetime cost of treating a person with HIV infection. JAMA. 1993;270:474–8. CrossRef
- Starfield B. Longitudinality and managed care. In: Primary Care: Concept, Evaluation, and Policy. New York: Oxford University Press; 1992:41–5.
- Wagner E, Austin B, Von Korff M. Organizing care for patients with chronic illness. Milbank Q. 1996;74:511–44. CrossRef
- Wagner EH, Austin BT, Von Korff M. Improving outcomes in chronic illness. Manag Care Q. 1996;4:12–25.
- Von Korff M, Gruman J, Schaefer J, Curry SJ, Wagner EH. Collaborative management of chronic illness. Ann Intern Med. 1997;127:1097–102.
- Wagner EH, Austin BT, Davis C, Hindmarsh M, Schaefer J, Bonomi A. Improving chronic illness care: translating evidence into action. Health Aff (Millwood). 2001;20:64–78. CrossRef
- Wasson J, Sauvigne A, Mogielnicaki R, et al. Continuity of outpatient medical care in elderly men. A randomized trial. JAMA. 1984;252:2413–7. CrossRef
- Stason W, Shepard D, Perry H Jr, et al. Effectiveness and costs of Veterans Affairs hypertension clinics. Med Care. 1994;32:1197–215. CrossRef
- Diabetes Complications and Control Trial Research G. The effect of intensive treatment of diabetes on the development and progression of long-term complication in insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. N Engl J Med. 1993;329:977–86. CrossRef
- Hypertension Detection and Follow-up Program Cooperative Group. Five-year findings of the Hypertension Detection and Follow-up Program: I. Reduction in mortality of persons with high blood pressure, including mild hypertension. JAMA. 1979;242:2562–71. CrossRef
- Shultz J, Sheps S. Management of patients with hypertension: a hypertension clinic model. Mayo Clin Proc. 1994;69:997–9.
- Katon W, Robinson P, Von Korff M, et al. A multifaceted intervention to improve treatment of depression in primary care. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1996;53:924–32.
- Katon W, Von Korff M, Lin E, et al. Collaborative management to achieve treatment guidelines. Impact on depression in primary care. JAMA. 1995;273:1026–31. CrossRef
- Leveille SG, Wagner EH, Davis C, et al. Preventing disability and managing chronic illness in frail older adults: a randomized trial of a community-based partnership with primary care. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1998;46:1191–8.
- McCulloch D, Price M, Hindmarsh M, Wagner E. A population-based approach to diabetes management in a primary care setting: early results and lessons learned. Eff Clin Pract. 1998;1:12–22.
- McCulloch D, Price M, Hindmarsh M, Wagner E. Improvement in diabetes care using an integrated population-based approach in a primary care setting. Dis Management. 2000;3:75–82. CrossRef
- Seage G, Landers S, Barry A, Groopman J, Lamb G, Epstein A. Medical care costs of AIDS in Massachusetts. JAMA. 1986;256:3107–9. CrossRef
- Andrulis D, Beers V, Bentley J, Gage L. The provision and financing of medical care for AIDS patients in US public and private teaching hospitals. JAMA. 1987;258:1343–6. CrossRef
- Andrulis D, Weslowski V, Gage L. The 1987 US hospital AIDS survey. JAMA. 1989;262:784–94. CrossRef
- Bennett C, Cvitanic M, Pascal A. The costs of AIDS in Los Angeles. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 1991;4:197–203.
- Bennett C, Pascal A, Cvitanic M, Graham V, Kitchens A, DeHovitz JA. Medical care costs of intravenous drug users with AIDS in Brooklyn. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 1992;5:1–6.
- Bozzette S, Berry S, Duan N, et al. The care of HIV-infected adults in the United States. N Engl J Med. 1998;339:1897–904. CrossRef
- Bennett C, Garfinkle J, Greenfield S, et al. The relation between hospital experience and in-hospital mortality for patients with AIDS-related PCP. JAMA. 1989;261:2975–9. CrossRef
- Stone V, Seage G III, Hertz T, Epstein A. The relation between hospital experience and mortality for patients with AIDS. JAMA. 1992;268:2655–61. CrossRef
- Benett C, Adams J, Gertler P, et al. Relation between hospital experience and in-hospital mortality for patients with AIDS-related Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia: experience from 3,126 cases in New York City in 1987. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 1992;5:856–64.
- Wachter R, Luce J, Safrin S, Berrios D, Charlebois E, Scitovsky A. Cost and outcome of intensive care for patients with AIDS, Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia, and severe respiratory failure. JAMA. 1995;273:230–35. CrossRef
- Horner R, Bennett C, Achenbach C, et al. Predictors of resource utilization for hospitalized patients with Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia (PCP): a summary of effects from the multi-city study of quality of PCP care. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr Hum Retrovirol. 1996;12:379–85.
- Heagerty P, Zeger S. Lorelogram: a regression approach to exploring dependence in longitudinal categorical responses. J Am Stat Assoc. 1998;93:150–62. CrossRef
- Liang K, Zeger S. Longitudinal data analysis using generalized linear models. Biometrika. 1986;73:13–22. CrossRef
- Hellinger F, Fleishman J, Hsia D. AIDS treatment costs during the last months of life: evidence from the ACSUS. Health Serv Res. 1994;29:569–81.
- Scitovsky A, Cline M, Lee P. Medical care costs of patients with AIDS in San Francisco. JAMA. 1986;256:3103–6. CrossRef
- Solomon D, Hogan A. HIV infection treatment costs under Medicaid in Michigan. Public Health Rep. 1992;107:461–8.
- Turner B, Markson L, McKee L, Houchens R, Fanning T. The AIDS-defining diagnosis and subsequent complications: a survival-based severity index. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 1991;4:1059–71.
- Efron B, Tibshirani R. An Introduction to the Bootstrap. New York: Chapman and Hall; 1993.
- Kaplan E, Meier P. Nonparametric estimation from incomplete observations. J Am Stat Assoc. 1958;53:457–81. CrossRef
- Cox D. Regression models and life-tables. J Royal Stat Soc. 1972;34: 187–220.
- Kalbfleisch J, Prentice R. The Statistical Analysis of Failure Time Data. New York: Wiley; 1980.
- Shapiro MF, Morton SC, McCaffrey DF, et al. Variations in the care of HIV-infected adults in the United States: results from the HIV Cost and Services Utilization Study. JAMA. 1999;281:2305–15. CrossRef
- Kitahata M, Van Rompaey S, Shields A. Physicians’ experience in the care of HIV-infected persons is associated with earlier adoption of new antiretroviral therapy. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2000;24:106–14.
- Luft HS, Hunt SS, Maerki SC. The volume-outcome relationship: practice-makes-perfect or selective- referral patterns? Health Serv Res. 1987;22:157–82.
- Hannan EL. The relation between volume and outcome in health care. N Engl J Med. 1999;340:1677–9. CrossRef
- Davis D, Thomson M, Oxman A, Haynes R. Evidence for the effectiveness of CME. A review of 50 randomized controlled trials. JAMA. 1992;268:1111–7. CrossRef
- Kitahata M, Holmes K, Wagner E, Gooding T. Caring for persons with HIV infection in a managed care environment. Am J Med. 1998;104:511–5. CrossRef
- Primary care delivery is associated with greater physician experience and improved survival among persons with AIDS
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 18, Issue 2 , pp 95-103
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- outcome and process assessment health care
- physician’s practice patterns
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. the Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Wash
- 2. Department of Health Services, University of Washington, Seattle, Wash
- 4. Department Epidemiology, University of Washington, Seattle, Wash
- 5. the Center for Health Studies, GHC Cooperative of Puget Sound, Seattle, Wash