Sunlight and vitamin D
- Michael F. Holick MD, PhD
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This work was supported in party by NIH grant MO1R00533.
- Fahrleitner A, Dobnig H, Obernosterer A, et al. Vitamin D deficiency and secondary hyperparathyroidism are common complications in patients with peripheral arterial disease. J Gen Intern Med. 2002;17:663–9. CrossRef
- Holick MF, Vitamin D: the underappreciated D-lightful hormone that is important for skeletal and cellular health. Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes. 2002;9:87–98. CrossRef
- Malabanan A, Veronikis IE, Holick MF. Redefining vitamin D insufficiency. Lancet. 1998;351:805–6. CrossRef
- Glerup H, Mikkelsen K, Poulsen L, et al. Commonly recommended daily intake of vitamin D is not sufficient if sunlight exposure is limited. J Intern Med. 2000;66:419–24.
- Lips P. Vitamin D deficiency and secondary hyperparathyroidism in the elderly: consequences for bone loss and fractures and therapeutic implications. Endocr Rev. 2000;22:477–501. CrossRef
- Harris SS, Soteriades E, Stina Coolidge JA, et al. Vitamin D insufficiency and hyperparathyroidism in a low income, multiracial, elderly population. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2001;85:4125–30. CrossRef
- Gloth FM, Tobin JD, Sherman SS, Hollis BW. Is the recommended daily allowance for vitamin D too low for the homebound elderly? J Am Geriatr Soc. 1991;39:137–41.
- Chapuy MC, Preziosi P, Maaner M, et al. Prevalence of vitamin D insufficiency in an adult normal population. Osteoporos Int. 1997;7: 439–43. CrossRef
- Nesby-O’Dell S, Scanlon KS, Cogswell ME, et al. Hypovitaminosis D prevalence and determinants among African American and white women of reproductive age: Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1988–1994. Am J Clin Nutr. 2002;76:187–92.
- Tangpricha V, Pearce EN, Chen TC, Holick MF. Vitamin D insufficiency among free-living adults. Am J Med. 2002;112:659–62. CrossRef
- Institute of Medicine. Dietary Reference Intakes for Calcium Phosphorus, Magnesium, Vitamin D, and Fluoride. Washington DC: National Academy Press, 1997.
- Harris SS, Dawson-Hughes B, Perrone GA. Plasma 25-hydroxy-vitamin D responses of younger and older men to three weeks of supplementation with 1800 IU/day of vitamin D. J Am Coll Nutr. 1999;18:470–4.
- Vieth R. Vitamin D supplementation, 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations, and safety. Am J Clin Nutr. 1999;69:842–56.
- Rostand SG. Ultraviolet light may contribute to geographic and racial blood pressure differences. Hypertension. 1997;30:150–6.
- Hypponen E, Laara E, Reunanaen A, Jarvelin MR, Virtanen SM. Intake of vitamin D and risk of type 1 diabetes: a birth-cohort study. Lancet. 2001;358:1500–3. CrossRef
- Luscombe CJ, Freyer AA, French ME, et al. Exposure to ultraviolet radiation: association with susceptibility and age at presentation with prostate cancer. Lancet. 2001;358:641–2. CrossRef
- Grant WB. An ecologic study of dietary and solar ultraviolet-B links to breast carcinoma mortality rates. Cancer. 2002;94:272–81. CrossRef
- Garland CF, Comstock GW, Garland FC, Helsing KJ, Shaw EK, Gorham ED. Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and colon cancer: eight year prospective study. Lancet. 1989;2:1176–8. CrossRef
- Hanchette CL, Schwartz GG. Geographic patterns of prostate cancer mortality. Cancer. 1992;70:2861–9. CrossRef
- Li YC, Kong J, Wei M, Chen ZF, Liu SQ, Cao LP. 1,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3 is a negative endocrine regulator of the renin-angiotensin system. J Clin Invest. 2002;110:229–38. CrossRef
- Weishaar RE, Simpson RU. The involvement of the endocrine system in regulating cardiovascular function: Emphasis on vitamin D3. Endocr Rev. 1989;10:1–15. CrossRef
- Maeda S, Sutliff RL, Qian J, et al. Targeted overexpression of parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP) to vascular smooth muscle in transgenic mice lowers blood pressure and alters vascular contractility. Endocrinology. 1999;140:1815–25. CrossRef
- Sunlight and vitamin D
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 17, Issue 9 , pp 733-735
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Michael F. Holick MD, PhD (1) (2) (3)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Vitamin D Laboratory, Boston University Medical Center, Boston, Mass
- 2. Section of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Nutrition, Boston University Medical Center, Boston, Mass
- 3. Department of Medicine, Boston University Medical Center, Boston, Mass