Pharmacological thromboembolic prophylaxis in a medical ward
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
To evaluate the adequacy of pharmacological thromboembolic prevention in the medical ward of a university hospital, we performed a retrospective study in 227 consecutive inpatients. The presence of risk factors, and type, length, and dose of pharmacological prevention were documented by chart review. Only 22% of the 153 risk patients received adequate prevention, whereas 38% of the patients at low risk were given pharmacological prophylaxis. The high prevalence of over- and undertreatment is an indicator of less than optimal care. Quality of care interventions, such as the development of local guidelines, might improve the appropriateness of pharmacological thromboembolic prophylaxis in medical inpatients.
- Rubinstein I, Murray D, Hoffstein V. Fatal pulmonary embolism in hospitalized patients: an autopsy study. Arch Intern Med. 1988;148:1425–6. CrossRef
- Sandler DA, Martin JF. Autopsy proven pulmonary embolism in hospital patients: are we detecting enough deep vein thrombosis. J R Soc Med. 1989;82:203–5.
- Stein PD, Henry JW. Prevalence of acute pulmonary embolism among patients in a general hospital and at autopsy. Chest. 1995;108:978–81.
- Dismuke SE, Wagner EH. Pulmonary embolism as a cause of death. The changing mortality in hospital patients. JAMA. 1986;225:2039–42. CrossRef
- Geerts WH, Heit JA, Clagett GP, et al. Prevention of venous thromboembolism. Chest. 2001;119:132S-75S. CrossRef
- Collins R, MacMahon S, Flather M, et al. Clinical effects of anticoagulant therapy in suspected acute myocardial infarction: systematic overview of randomised trials. BMJ. 1996;313:652–9.
- Gubitz G, Counsell C, Sandercock P, Signorini D, eds. Anticoagulants for acute ischaemic stroke (Cochrane Review). In: The Cochrane Library, Issue 2. Oxford: Update Software; 2001.
- Belch JJ, Lowe GDO, Ward AG, Forbes CD, Prentice CRM. Prevention of deep vein thrombosis in medical patients by low-dose heparin. Scott Med J. 1981;26:115–7.
- Kleber FX, Witt C, Flosbach CW, Koppenhagen K, Vogel G. Study to compare the efficacy and safety of the LMWH enoxaparin and standard heparin in the prevention of thromboembolic events in medical patients with cardiopulmonary diseases. The PRINCE study group. Ann Hematol. 1998;76 (Suppl 1):269.
- Levine M, Hirsh J, Gent M, et al. Double-blind randomised trial of very-low-dose warfarin for prevention of thromboembolism in stage IV breast cancer. Lancet. 1994;343:886–9. CrossRef
- Cade JF. High risk of the critically ill for venous thromboembolism. Crit Care Med. 1982;10:448–50. CrossRef
- Samama MM, Cohen AT, Darmon JY, et al. A comparison of enoxaparin with placebo for the prevention of venous thromboembolism in acutely ill medical patients. Prophylaxis in Medical Patients with Enoxaparin Study Group. N Engl J Med. 1999;341:793–800. CrossRef
- Mismetti P, Laporte-Simitsidis S, Tardy B, et al. Prevention of venous thromboembolism in internal medicine with unfractionated or low-molecular-weight heparins: a meta-analysis of randomised clinical trials. Thromb Haemost. 2000;83:14–9.
- Thromboembolic Risk Factors (THRIFT) Consensus Group. Risk of and prophylaxis for venous thromboembolism in hospital patients. BMJ. 1992;305:567–74. CrossRef
- Anderson DR, O’Brien BJ, Levine MN, Roberts R, Wells PS, Hirsh J. Efficacy and cost of low-molecular-weight heparin compared with standard heparin for the prevention of deep vein thrombosis after total hip arthroplasty. Ann Intern Med. 1993;119:1105–12.
- Warkentin TE, Levine MN, Hirsh J, et al. Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia in patients treated with low-molecular-weight heparin or unfractionated heparin. N Engl J Med. 1995;332:1330–5. CrossRef
- Anderson FA, Wheeler HB, Goldberg RJ, Hosmer DW, Forcier A, Patwardhan NA. Physician practices in the prevention of venous thromboembolism. Ann Intern Med. 1991;115:591–5.
- Keane MG, Ingenito EP, Goldhaber SZ. Utilization of venous thromboembolism prophylaxis in the medical intensive care unit. Chest. 1994;106:13–4.
- Egermayer P, Robis C, Town GI. Survey of the use of thromboprophylaxis for medical patients at Christchurch Hospital. N Z Med J. 1999;112:246–8.
- Dh te R, Pellicer-Coeuret M, Belouet-Moreau C, Christoforov B, Vidal-Trecan G. Venous thromboembolism in medical inpatients: prophylaxis with low-weight heparin in a university hospital and prevalence of thromboembolic events. Clin Appl Thromb Hemost. 2001;7:16–20. CrossRef
- Pharmacological thromboembolic prophylaxis in a medical ward
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 17, Issue 10 , pp 788-791
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- venous thromboembolism
- pharmacological prevention
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Received from the Department of Internal Medicine, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Lausanne, Switzerland
- 2. the Department of Pharmacy, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Lausanne, Switzerland