Factors influencing the selection of general internal medicine fellowship programs
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Although criteria are available to guide the selection of general internal medicine (GIM) fellowship programs, the factors actually used in this process are unclear. Using a survey of current GIM fellows, we determined that most received information from their residency advisors, and many viewed them as the most important source of fellowship information. Program location was the top selection factor for fellows, followed by research opportunities, availability of a mentor, and the reputation of the program. This information may be useful to both fellowship candidates as an additional selection guide and to program directors seeking to best structure and market their fellowships.
- Society of General Internal Medicine. Plicy statement for general internal medicine fellowships. J Gen Intern Med. 1994;9:513–6. CrossRef
- Directory of General Internal Medicine Fellowship Programs. Washington, DC: Society of General Internal Medicine; 1996.
- Flynn TC, Garrity MS, Berkowitz LR. What do applicatis look for when selecting internal medicine residency programs? A comparison of rating scale and open-ended responses. J Gen Intern Med. 1993;8:249–54. CrossRef
- Simmonds AC, Robbins JM, Brinker MR, Rice JC, Kerstein MD. Factors important to students in selecting a residency program. Acad Med. 1990;65:640–3. CrossRef
- Sciscione AC, Colmorgen GH, D’Alton ME. Factors affecting fellowship satisfaction, thesis completion, and career direction among maternal-fetal medicine fellows. Obstet Gynecol. 1998;91:1023–6. CrossRef
- Curtis P, Reid A, Newton W. The primary care research fellowship: an early assessment. Fam Med. 1992;24:586–90.
- Factors influencing the selection of general internal medicine fellowship programs
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 15, Issue 9 , pp 656-658
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- fellowships and scholarships
- career choice
- internal medicine
- Industry Sectors