The hospitalist movement and the future of academic general internal medicine
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
- Alpert JS, Coles R. Careers in academic medicine: triple threat or double fake. Arch Intern Med. 1998;148:1906–7. CrossRef
- Burn T. Practicing managed care in the academic medical center. Physician Executive. 1996;22:20–5.
- American College of Physicians. The role of the future general internist defined. Ann Intern Med. 1994;121:616–22.
- Mushlin AI. New knowledge for primary care—a glimpse at general practice research in Great Britain. Ann Intern Med. 1984;100:744–50.
- Wachter RM, Goldman L. The emerging role of “hospitalists” in the American health care system. N Engl J Med. 1996;335:514–7. CrossRef
- Diamond HS, Goldberg E, Janosky JE. The effect of full-time faculty hospitalists on the efficiency of care at a community teaching hospital. Ann Intern Med. 1998;129:197–203.
- Wachter RM, Katz P, Showstack J, Bindman AB, Goldman L. Reorganizing an academic medical service: impact on cost, quality, patient satisfaction, and education. JAMA. 1998;279:1560–5. CrossRef
- Stein MD, Hanson S, Tammaro D, Hanna L, Most AS. Economic effects of community versus hospital-based pneumonia care. J Gen Intern Med. 1998;13:774–7. CrossRef
- Wachter RM. Hospitalists: their role in the American health care system. Medical Practice Management. Nov–Dec 1997:123–6.
- Fine MJ, Hanusa BH, Lave JR, et al. Comparison of a disease-specific and a generic severity of illness measure for patients with community-acquired pneumonia. J Gen Intern Med. 1995;10:359–68. CrossRef
- Fine MJ, Auble TE, Yealy DM, et al. A prediction rule to identify low-risk patients with community-acquired pneumonia. N Engl J Med. 1997;336:243–50. CrossRef
- Weingarten SR, Riedinger MS, Hobson P, et al. Evaluation of a pneumonia practice guideline in an interventional trial. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1996;153:1110–5.
- Martin AR, Wolf MA, Thibodeau LA, Dzau V, Braunwald E. A trial of two strategies to modify the test-ordering behavior of medical residents. N Engl J Med. 1980;303:1330–6. CrossRef
- Kitahata MM, Koepsell TD, Deyo RA, Maxwell CL, Dodge WT, Wagner EH. Physicians’ experience with the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome as a factor in patients’ survival. N Engl J Med. 1996;334:701–6. CrossRef
- Jollis JG, DeLong ER, Peterson ED, et al. Outcome of acute myocardial infarction according to the specialty of the admitting physician. N Engl J Med. 1996;335:1880–7. CrossRef
- Selby JV, Fireman BH, Lundstrom RJ, et al. Variation among hospitals in coronary angiography practices and outcomes after myocardial infarction in a large health maintenance organization. N Engl J Med. 1996;335:1888–96. CrossRef
- Wofford JL, Moran WP, Berard SH, et al. Improved reading efficiency for general internists dividing medical literature between hospitalist and ambulatory practices. J Gen Intern Med. 1998;13(suppl 1):76. Abstract.
- Freese RB. Clinical, logistical, and political issues in creating a hospitalist system. Ann Intern Med. In press.
- Moran M. UCSF launches training program for hospitalists. AMA News. 1998;41:9–10.
- The hospitalist movement and the future of academic general internal medicine
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 13, Issue 11 , pp 783-785
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors