What predicts medical student career choice?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The literature on medical student career choice has identified several influences that can be categorized as student demographics, medical school characteristics, students’ perceptions of specialty characteristics, and student-held values. A logistic regression model that included demographics, medical school, and student-rated influences as a proxy for perceptions and values was used to determine their relative contribution to student career choice for three consecutive cohorts of senior medical students attending two schools (n=649). This model identified a positive relation between choice of primary care career and both student-rated influences and one student demographic characteristic, but not between career choice and school attended. Variables positively correlated with primary care career choice were related to working with people and marital status. Negatively correlated variables were related to income and prestige.
- Medical School Graduation Questionnaire Survey Results. Washington, DC: Association of American Medical Colleges; 1992.
- Medical School Graduation Questionnaire. Washington, DC: Association of American Medical Colleges; 1996.
- Rivo, ML, Kindig, DA (1996) A report card on the physician work force in the United States. N Engl J Med 334: pp. 892-6 CrossRef
- Bland, CJ, Meurer, LN, Maldonado, G (1995) Determinants of primary care specialty choice: a non-statistical meta-analysis of the literature. Acad Med 70: pp. 620-41 CrossRef
- Kassebaum, DG, Szenas, PL, Schuchert, MK (1996) Determinants of the generalist career intentions of 1995 graduating medical students. Acad Med 71: pp. 197-209
- Brotherton, SE (1995) The relationship of indebtedness, race, and gender to the choice of general or subspecialty pediatrics. Acad Med 70: pp. 149-51 CrossRef
- Rosenthal, MP, Marquette, PA, Diamond, JJ (1996) Trends along the debtincome axis: implication for medical students’ selections of family practice careers. Acad Med 71: pp. 675-7 CrossRef
- Schwartz, MD, Linzer, M, Babbott, D, Divine, GW, Broadhead, E (1991) Medical student interest in internal medicine: initial report of the Society of General Internal Medicine interest group survey on factors influencing career choice in internal medicine. Ann Intern Med 114: pp. 6-15
- Fincher, RE, Lewis, LA, Rogers, LQ (1992) Classification model that predicts medical students’ choice of primary care or non-primary care specialites. Acad Med 67: pp. 324-7 CrossRef
- Mowbray, RM (1989) Research in choice of medical specialty: a review of the literature 1977–1987. Aust N Z J Med 19: pp. 389-99
- Szenas, PL (1995) Graduates’ interest in generalist specialties nearly doubles in three years. AAMC Report 5: pp. 1-3
- Kassler, WJ, Wartman, SA, Silliman, RA (1991) Why medical students choose primary care careers. Acad Med 66: pp. 41-3 CrossRef
- Dial, TH, Elliot, PR (1987) Relationship of scholarship and indebtedness to medical students’ career plans. J Med Educ 62: pp. 316-24
- Martini, CJM, Veloski, JJ, Barzansky, B, Xu, G, Fields, SK (1994) Medical school and students’ characteristics that influence choosing a generalist career. JAMA 272: pp. 661-8 CrossRef
- Campos-Outcalt, D, Senf, JH (1989) Characteristics of medical schools related to the choice of family medicine as a specialty. Acad Med 64: pp. 610-5 CrossRef
- Pathman, DE, Agnew, CR (1993) Querying physicians’ beliefs in career choice studies: the limitations of introspective causal reports. Fam Med 25: pp. 203-7
- Grayson, MS, Newton, DA, Whitley, TW (1996) First-year medical students’ knowledge of and attitudes toward primary care careers. Fam Med 28: pp. 338-42
- Madison, DL (1994) Medical school admission and generalist physicians: a study of the class of 1985. Acad Med 69: pp. 825-31 CrossRef
- Schwartz, RW, Haley, JV, Williams, C (1990) The controllable life-style factor and students’ attitudes about specialty selection. Acad Med 65: pp. 207-10 CrossRef
- What predicts medical student career choice?
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 13, Issue 3 , pp 200-203
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- medical students
- career choice
- student demographics
- student-held values
- medical school characteristics
- Industry Sectors