Probable gastrointestinal toxicity of kombucha tea
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Kombucha tea is a health beverage made by incubating the Kombucha “mushroom” in tea and sugar. Although therapeutic benefits have been attributed to the drink, neither its beneficial effects nor adverse side effects have been reported widely in the scientific literature. Side effects probably related to consumption of Kombucha tea are reported in four patients. Two presented with symptoms of allergic reaction, the third with jaundice, and the fourth with nausea, vomiting, and head and neck pain. In all four, use of Kombucha tea in proximity to onset of symptoms and symptom resolution on cessation of tea drinking suggest a probable etiologic association.
- Hauser SP. Dr. Sklenar’s Kombucha mushroom infusion: a biological cancer therapy. Schweitz Rundsch Med Parx. 1990;79:243–6.
- Carithers RL. Alcoholic hepatitis and cirrhosis. In: Kaplowitz N, ed. Liver and Biliary Diseases. Baltimore, Md: Williams and Wilkins; 1992:334–46.
- Perron AD, Patterson JA, Yanofsky NN. Kombucha “mushroom” hepatotoxicity. Ann emerg Med. 1995;26:660–1. Letter.
- Currier RW, Goddard J, Buechler K et al. Unexplained severe illness possibly associated with consumption of Kombucha tea—Iowa 1995. MMWR. 1995;44:892–900.
- AAPCC. Alert: “Kom bucha Tea” and Hepatotoxicity. Washington, DC: American Association of Poison Control Centers: November 8, 1993.
- Staments P. My adventures with the Blob. Mushroom—The Journal. Winter 1994:5–9.
- Food and Drug Administration. FDA Cautions Consumers on “Kombucha Mushroom Tea” (News Release). Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Public Health Service, Food and Drug Administration; March 23, 1995.
- Mayser P, Fromme S, Leitzmann C, Grunder K. The yeast spectrum of the “tea fungus Kombucha”. Mycoses. 1995;38:289–95. CrossRef
- Probable gastrointestinal toxicity of kombucha tea
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 12, Issue 10 , pp 643-644
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- alternative theraples
- gastrointestinal toxicity
- Kombucha tea
- allergic reactions
- Industry Sectors