Female “circumcision” African women confront American medicine
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Presented as an oral abstract at the national meeting of the Society of General Internal Medicine, May 4–6, 1995.
Dr. Jackson was supported in part by the Opening Doors Project funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the Henry Kaiser Family Foundation. Dr. Horowitz was a fellow in the Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program.
- Refugee Arrival Data. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of Refugee Resettlement; 1994.
- Lowenstein L. Attitudes and attitude differences to female genital mutilation in the Sudan: is there a change on the horizon? Soc Sci Med. 1978:12:417–21.
- El Dareer A. Attitudes of Sudanese people to the practice of female circumcision. Int J Epidemiol. 1983:12:138–44. CrossRef
- Sami I. Female circumcision with special reference to the Sudan. Ann Trop Pediatr. 1986:6:99–115.
- Hosken F. The Hosken Report: Genital and Sexual Mutilation of Females. Lexington, Mass: Women’s Int Network News; 1994.
- Toubia N. Female circumcision as a public health issue. N Engl J Med. 1994:331:712–6. CrossRef
- El Dareer A. Epidemiology of female circumcision in the Sudan. Trop Doctor. 1983:13:41–5.
- Dirie M, Lindmark G. Female circumcision in Somalia and women’s motives. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 1991:70:581–5.
- Asali A, Khamaysi N, Aburabia Y, et al. Ritual female genital surgery among Bedouin in Israel. Arch Sex Behav. 1995:24:571–5. CrossRef
- Grisaru N, Lezer S, Belmaker RH. Ritual female genital surgery among Ethiopian Jews. Arch Sex Behav. 1997:26:211–5. CrossRef
- Sheehan E. Victorian clitoridectomy. Med Anthropol News. 1982: 12:9–15. CrossRef
- Wollman L. Female circumcision. J Am Soc Psychosomat Dent Med. 1973:20:130–1.
- Hodgkinson D, Hiat G. Aesthetic vaginal labioplasty. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1983:74:414–6.
- Gruenbaum E. The Islamic movement, development, and health education: recent changes in the health of rural women in central Sudan. Soc Sci Med. 1991:33:637–45. CrossRef
- El Dareer A. Woman, Why Do You Weep? Circumcision and Its Consequences. London, UK: Žed Press: 1982.
- Myers R, Omorodion F, Isenalumhe A, Akenzua G. Circumcision: its nature and practice among some ethnic groups in southern Nigeria. Soc Sci Med. 1985:21:581–8. CrossRef
- Winkel E. A Muslim perspective on female circumcision. Women Health. 1995:23:1–6.
- World Health Organization, International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics. Female circumcision. Eur J Gynecol Obstet. 1992:45:153–4. CrossRef
- Verzin J. Sequelae of female circumcision. Trop Doctor. 1975: 5:163–9.
- Aziz F. Gynecologic and obstetric complications of female circumcision. Int J Gynecol Obstet. 1980:17:560–3.
- Agugua N, Egwato V. Female circumcision: management of urinary complications. J Trop Pediatr. 1982:28:248–52.
- DeSilva S. Obstetric sequelae of female circumcision. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 1989:32:233–40. CrossRef
- Baker C, Wilson G, Vill M, Curet L. Female circumcision: obstetric issues. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1993:169:1616–8.
- Lalonde A. Clinical management of female genital mutilation must be handled with understanding, compassion. Can Med Assoc J. 1995:152:949–50.
- Inhorn M, Buss K. Infertility, infection and iatrogenesis in Egypt: the anthropological epidemiology of blocked tubes. Med Anthropol. 1993:15:217–44. CrossRef
- Lightfoot-Klein H. The sexual experience and marital adjustment of genitally circumcised and infibulated females in the Sudan. J Sex Res. 1989:26:375–92. CrossRef
- Gove S. Diamondstone L. Medical team interaction with female circumcision in a refugee camp, Bo’, Somalia. Discussion Paper Series. San Francisco, Calif: Institute for Health Policy Studies, University of California.
- Ntiri D. Circumcision and health among rural women of southern Somalia. Health Care Women Int. 1993:14:215–26. CrossRef
- Putsch R. Cross-cultural communication: the special case of interpreters in health care. JAMA. 1985:254(23):3344–8. CrossRef
- Abdi M, Adbi S. Horn of Africa Resource and Research Group. Somali Women’s Community Education Project, toronto, Ont: 1992.
- Halim AA. Names and addresses of some organizations concerned with FC. In: Awaken. New York, NY: Equality Now: 1997:19–21.
- Female “circumcision” African women confront American medicine
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 12, Issue 8 , pp 491-499
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors