Belowground carbon storage of Micronesian mangrove forests
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Belowground carbon storage was examined for mangrove forests on Pohnpei Island, Micronesia. Stored carbon in a coral reef-type mangrove habitat consisting of a 2 m thick mangrove peat layer, which is a type of mangrove habitat in tropical Pacific islands, was estimated at 1300 t C ha−1. The carbon burial rate during the phase of gradual sea-level rise, which was calculated at 93 g m−2 year−1 between 1800 and 1380 years bp using the medians of the radiocarbon ages, was significantly higher than that between 1380 years bp and present in a stable sea-level phase.
- Allison L. E. & Moodie C. D. (1965) Carbonate. In: Methods of Soil Analysis. Part 2. Chemical and Microbiological Properties (eds C. A. Black, D. D. Evans, L. E. Ensminger, J. L. White, F. E. Clark & R. C. Dinauer) pp. 1379–1396. American Society of Agronomy Inc. Publisher, Madison, WI.
- Christensen B. (1978) Biomass and primary production of Rhizophora apiculata Bl. in a mangrove in Southern Thailand. Aquatic Botany 4: 43–52.
- Fujimoto K. & Miyagi T. (1993) Development process of tidal-flat type mangrove habitats and their zonation in the Pacific Ocean: A geomorphological study. Vegetatio 106: 137–146.
- Fujimoto K., Miyagi T., Kikuchi T., Kawana T. (1996) Mangrove habitat formation and response to Holocene sea-level changes on Kosrae Island, Micronesia. Mangroves and Salt Marshes 1: 47–57.
- Fujimoto K., Tabuchi R., Mori T., Murofushi T. (1995) Site environments and stand structure of the mangrove forests on Pohnpei Island, Micronesia. Japan Agriculture Research Quarterly 29: 275–284.
- Komiyama A., Ogino K., Aksornkoae S., Sabhasri S. (1987) Root biomass of a mangrove forest in southern Thailand. 1. Estimation by the trench method and the zonal structure of root biomass. Journal of Tropical Ecology 3: 97–108.
- Kusmana C., Sabiham S., Abe K., Watanabe H. (1992) An estimation of above ground tree biomass of a mangrove forest in East Sumatra, Indonesia. TROPICS 4: 243–257.
- Miyagi T., Kikuchi T., Fujimoto K. (1995) Late Holocene sealevel changes and the mangrove peat accumulation/habitat dynamics in the western Pacific area. In: Rapid Sea Level Rise and Mangrove Habitat (ed. T. Kikuchi) pp. 19–26. Institute for Basin Ecosystem Studies, Gifu University, Gifu, Japan.
- Scholl D. W. (1964) Recent sedimentary record in mangrove swamps and rise in sea level over the southwestern coast of Florida: Part 1. Marine Geology 1: 344–366.
- Tamai S., Nakasuga T., Tabuchi R., Ogino K. (1986) Standing biomass of mangrove forests in Southern Thailand. Journal of Japanese Forestry Society 68: 384–388.
- Twilley R. R., Chen R. H., Hargis T. (1992) Carbon sinks in mangrove and their implications to carbon budget of tropical coastal ecosystems. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution 64: 265–288.
- Belowground carbon storage of Micronesian mangrove forests
Volume 14, Issue 4 , pp 409-413
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- belowground carbon storage
- carbon burial rate
- mangrove peat
- tropical Pacific islands
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Forest Environment Division, Forestry and Forest Products Research Institute (FFPRI), Tsukuba, 305–8687, Japan
- 2. Shikoku Research Center, FFPRI, Kochi, 780–8064, Japan
- 3. Forest Technology Division, FFPRI, Tsukuba, 305–8687, Japan
- 4. Systems Research and Development Institute of Japan, Shinjyuku, Tokyo, 162–0067, Japan