Heat and Mass Transfer in MHD Micropolar Flow Over a Vertical Moving Porous Plate in a Porous Medium
- Youn J. Kim
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
An analysis is presented for the problem of free convection with mass transfer flow for a micropolar fluid via a porous medium bounded by a semi-infinite vertical porous plate in the presence of a transverse magnetic field. The plate moves with constant velocity in the longitudinal direction, and the free stream velocity follows an exponentially small perturbation law. A uniform magnetic field acts perpendicularly to the porous surface in which absorbs the micropolar fluid with a suction velocity varying with time. Numerical results of velocity distribution of micropolar fluids are compared with the corresponding flow problems for a Newtonian fluid. Also, the results of the skin-friction coefficient, the couple stress coefficient, the rate of the heat and mass transfers at the wall are prepared with various values of fluid properties and flow conditions.
- Cowling, T. G.: 1957, Magnetohydrodynamics, Interscience Publishers, New York.
- El-Amin, M. F.: 2001, Magnetohydrodynamic free convection and mass transfer flow in micropolar fluid with constant suction, J. Magn. Magn. Mater. 234, 567–574.
- El-Hakiem, M. A., Mohammadein, A. A., El-Kabeir, S. M. M. and Gorla, R. S. R.: 1999, Joule heating effects on magnetohydrodynamic free convection flow of a micropolar fluid, Int. Commun. Heat Mass Tran. 26(2), 219–227.
- Eringen, A. C.: 1966, Theory of micropolar fluids, J. Math. Mech. 16, 1–18.
- Kim, Y. J.: 2001, Unsteady convection flow of micropolar fluids past a vertical porous plate embedded in a porous medium, Acta Mech. 148(1–4), 105–116.
- Kumari, M.: 1998, MHD flow over a wedge with large blowing rates, Int. J. Eng. Sci. 36(3), 299–314.
- Lukaszewicz, G.: 1999, Micropolar Fluids – Theory and Applications, Birkhauser, Boston.
- Raptis, A. A.: 1986, Flow through a porous medium in the presence of a magnetic field. Int. J. Energy Res. 10, 97–100.
- Rees, D. A. S. and Bassom, A. P.: 1996, The Blasius boundary-layer flow of a micropolar fluid, Int. J. Eng. Sci. 34(1), 113–124.
- Soundalgekar, V. M.: 1973, Free convection effects on the oscillatory flow past an infinite, vertical, porous plate with constant suction, Proc. Roy. Soc. London A333, 25–36.
- Soundalgekar, V. M. and Takhar, H. S.: 1977, MHD forced and free convective flow past a semiinfinite plate, AIAA J. 15, 457–458.
- Takhar, H. S. and Ram, P. C.: 1991, Free convection in hydromagnetic flows of a viscous heatgenerating fluid with wall temperature and Hall currents, Astrophys. Space Sci. 183, 193–198.
- Yamamoto, K. and Iwamura, N.: 1976, Flow with convective acceleration through a porous medium, J. Eng. Math. 10, 41–54.
- Heat and Mass Transfer in MHD Micropolar Flow Over a Vertical Moving Porous Plate in a Porous Medium
Transport in Porous Media
Volume 56, Issue 1 , pp 17-37
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- micropolar fluid
- mass transfer
- sherwood number
- Industry Sectors
- Youn J. Kim (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. School of Mechanical Engineering, SungKyunKwan University, Suwon, 440-746, South Korea