Sex Pheromone Stereochemistry and Purity Affect Field Catches of Male Aphids
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Male blackberry-cereal aphids, Sitobion fragariae (Walker), were caught in the ield by water traps releasing synthetic (4aS, 7S, 7aR)-nepetalactone, the major sex pheromone component. The presence of the enantiomer (4aR,7R,7aS)-nepetalactone reduced catches and a plant-extracted (4aS,7S,7aR)-nepetalactone was less effective than the 99% (7S)-lactone. A more extensive trial with the bird cherry-oat aphid, Rhopalosiphum padi, involving the pheromone comprising the stereochemically related (4aS,7S,7aR)-nepetalactol showed a similar trend. The (7R)-isomer caught fewer males than the (7S)-isomer, but in this case the addition of high-purity (7S)-lactol to make a 50% blend caught as many males as pure (7S)-lactol. With plant-derived lactol, further purification did not significantly increase the catch. It is suggested that trace compounds associated with reduced enantiomeric purity in terms of the (7S)-configuration or from plant sources reduce activity of the sex pheromone components. Male damson-hop aphids, Phorodon humuli (Schrank), were also caught in the synthetic lactol traps, and it is suggested that this is due to traces of the (4aR,7S,7aS)-nepetalactols, which comprise the sex pheromone for this species. The significance for aphid chemical ecology studies and pest control strategies is discussed.
- CAMPBELL, C. A. M., DAWSON, G. W., GRIFFITHS, D. C., PETTERSSON, J. PICKETT, J. A., WADHAMS, L. J., and WOODCOCK, C. M. 1990. Sex attractant pheromone of damson-hop aphid Phorodon humuli (Homoptera, Aphididae). J. Chem. Ecol. 16:3455–3465.
- CRAWLEY, M. J. 1993. GLIM for Ecologists. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford.
- DAWSON, G. W., GRIFFITHS, D. C., PICKETT, J. A., SMITH, M. C., and WOODCOCK, C. M. 1984. Natural inhibition of the aphid alarm pheromone. Entomol. Exp. Appl. 36:197–199.
- DAWSON, G. W., GRIFFITHS, D. C., JANES, N. F., MUDD, A., PICKETT, J. A., WADHAMS, L. J., and WOODCOCK, C. M. 1987. Identification of an aphid sex pheromone. Nature 325:614–616.
- DAWSON, G. W., GRIFFITHS, D. C., MERRITT, L. A., MUDD, A., PICKETT, J. A., WADHAMS, L. J., and WOODCOCK, C. M. 1990. Aphid semiochemicals—a review, and recent advances on the sex pheromone. J. Chem. Ecol. 16:3019–3030.
- DAWSON, G. W., PICKETT, J. A., and SMILEY, D. W. M. 1996. The aphid sex pheromone cyclopentanoids: Synthesis in the elucidation of structure and biosynthetic pathways. Bioorg. Med. Chem. 4:351–361.
- EISENBRAUN, E. J., BROWNE, C. E., IRVIN-WILLIS, R. L., MC GURK, D. J., ELIEL, E. L., and HARRIS, D. L. 1980. J. Org. Chem. 45:3811–3814.
- HARDIE, J., HOLYOAK, M., NICHOLAS, J., NOTTINGHAM, S. F., PICKETT, J. A., WADHAMS, L. J., and WOODCOCK, C. M. 1990. Aphid sex pheromone components: age-dependent release by females and species-specific male response. Chemoecology 1:63–68.
- HARDIE, J., NOTTINGHAM, S. F., DAWSON, G. W., HARRINGTON, R., PICKETT, J. A., and WADHAMS, L. J. 1992. Attraction of field-flying aphid males to synthetic sex pheromone. Chemoecology 3:113–117.
- HARDIE, J., STORER, J. R., NOTTINGHAM, S. F., PEACE, L., HARRINGTON, R., MERRITT, L. A., WADHAMS, L. J., and WOOD, D. K. 1994. The interaction of sex pheromone and plant volatiles for field attraction of male bird-cherry aphid, Rhopalosiphum padi. Brighton Crop Prot. Conf. Pests Dis. 1994:1223–1230.
- HICK, A. J., PICKETT, J. A., SMILEY, D. W. M., WADHAMS, L. J., and WOODCOCK, C. M. 1996. Higher plants as a clean source of semiochemicals and genes for their biotechnological production, pp. 220–236, in S. Wrigley, M. Hayes, R. Thomas, and E. Crystal (eds.). Phytochemical Diversity, a Source of New Industrial Products. The Royal Society of Chemistry, Cambridge.
- MARSH, D. 1972. Sex pheromone in the aphid Megouru viciae. Nature 238:31–32.
- MARSH, D. 1975. Responses of male aphids to the female sex pheromone in Megoura viciae Buckton. J. Entomol. (A) 50:43–64.
- PETTERSSON, J. 1970. An aphid sex attractant. I. Biological studies. Entomol. Scand. 1:63–73.
- PETTERSSON, J. 1971. An aphid sex attractant. II. Histological, ethological and comparative studies. Entomol. Scand. 2:81–93.
- PICKETT, J. A., WADHAMS, L. J., and WOODCOCK, C. M. 1994. Attempts to control aphid pests by integrated use of semiochemicals. Brighton Crop Prot. Conf. Peats Dis. 1994:1239–1246.
- SCHREIBER, S. L., MEYERS, H. V., and WIBERG, K. B. 1986. Stereochemistry of the intramolecular enamine/enal (enone) cycloaddition reaction and subsequent transformations. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 108:8274–8277.
- STEFFAN, A. W. 1987. Fern-und Nahorientierung geflüugelter Gynoparae und Sexualis-Männchen bei Blattläusen (Homoptera: Aphidinea: Aphididae). Entomol. Gen. 12:235–258.
- TAMAKI, G., BUTT, B. A., and LANDIS, B. J. 1970. Arrest and aggregation of male Myzus persicae (Hemiptera: Aphididae). Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 63:955–960.
- Sex Pheromone Stereochemistry and Purity Affect Field Catches of Male Aphids
Journal of Chemical Ecology
Volume 23, Issue 11 , pp 2547-2554
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- sex pheromone
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Biology, Aphid Biology Group, Imperial College at Silwood Park, Ascot, Berkshire, SL5 7PY, UK
- 2. IACR-Rothamsted, Harpenden, Hertfordshire, AL5 2JQ, UK