Reaction Kinetics and Critical Phenomena: Saponification of Ethyl Acetate at the Consolute Point of 2-Butoxyethanol + Water
The rate of sponification of ethyl acetate by sodium hydroxide was measured near the consolute point of the liquid mixture, 2-butoxyethanol + water. At temperatures far below the lower critical solution temperature, T c, the apparent rate constant obeyed the Arrhenius equation. In the one-phase region just beneath T c, the rate constant decreased below the Arrhenius background, indicating critical slowing down. Because the kinetics of this reaction are second order, the net reaction rate depends upon both (∂ΔG/∂ξ) e and (∂ΔG/∂ξ) e , where Δ G is the Gibbs free energy difference between products and reactants, ξ is the extent of reaction, and subscript “e” refers to chemical equilibrium. On the basis of the Principle of Universality, it is argued that as the temperature approaches T c, both of these thermodynamic derivatives should go to zero, and the net reaction rate should slow down as is actually observed.
- A. Findlay, A.N. Campbell, and N.O. Smith, The Phase Rule, 9th Ed. (Dover Publications, New York, 1951), Chapt.6.
- J.C. Clunie and J.K. Baird, Fluid Phase Equilib. 150-151:549 (1998).
- J.K. Baird and J.C. Clunie, J.Phys.Chem.A 102:6498 (1998).
- E.S. Gould, Mechanism and Structure in Organic Chemistry (Holt, Rinehart, and Winston, New York, 1959)Chaps.8 and 9.
- Y.W. Kim and J.K. Baird, Int.J.Thermophys. 22:1449 (2001).
- Y.W. Kim and J.K. Baird, J.Phys.Chem. 107:8435 (2003).
- J.K. Baird, J.Chem.Educ. 76:1146 (1999).
- R.G. Griffiths and J.C. Wheeler, Phys.Rev.A 2:1047 (1970).
- Y.W. Kim.Dissertation, University of Alabama in Huntsville (2000).
- C.-H. Shaw and W.I. Goldburg, J.Chem.Phys. 65:4906 (1976).
- J.F. Counsell, D.H. Everett, and R.J. Munn, Pure Appl.Chem.. 2:335 (1961).
- J.C. Wheeler and R.G. Petschek, Phys.Rev.A 28:2442 (1983).
- J. March, Advanced Organic Chemistry, 4th Ed. (John Wiley, New York, 1992), pp.298–305.
- C.A. VanderWerf, Acids, Bases, and the Chemistry of the Covalent Bond (Reinhold Publishing Corp., New York, 1961).
- S.C. Greer and M.R. Moldover, Annu.Rev.Phys.Chem. 32:233 (1981).
- J.V. Sengers and J.M.H. Levelt-Sengers, Annu.Rev.Phys.Chem. 37:189 (1986).
- J.K. Baird and Y.W. Kim, J.Phys.Chem. 107:10241 (2003).
- Reaction Kinetics and Critical Phenomena: Saponification of Ethyl Acetate at the Consolute Point of 2-Butoxyethanol + Water
International Journal of Thermophysics
Volume 25, Issue 4 , pp 1025-1036
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- critical slowing down
- Industry Sectors