Edison: Database-Supported Synchronization for PDAs
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
One of the most important features provided by personal digital assistants is the ability to synchronize device data with data on a user's PC. Unfortunately, current synchronization protocols have significant shortcomings that limit the availability, usability, and performance of synchronization. We present Edison, a service that leverages existing off-the-shelf ORDBMS technology to address these problems. Edison allows large numbers of users to synchronize handheld devices from any point on the internet with subsets of large, shared data sets. Edison supports this functionality while transferring the minimal amount of data to and from the device. We describe the implementation of the Edison data server and protocol, and show that Edison requires minimal overhead in terms of DBMS storage and additional time per synchronization.
- M. Altmel and M.J. Franklin, “Efficient filtering of XML documents for selective dissemination of information,” in VLDB 2000.
- AvantGo Inc, AvantGo Enterprise Products, http://avantgo.com.
- P.K. Chrysanthis, “Transaction processing in a mobile computing environment,” in IEEE Worskhop on Advances in Parallel and Distributed Systems, 1993.
- CNNFn.com. Pda sales soar in 2000. http://cnnfn.cnn.com/2001/01/26/technology/handheld/index.htm, 2001.
- A.J. Demers, K. Petersen, M.J. Spreitzer, D.B. Terry, M.M. Theimer, and B.B. Welch, “The Bayou architecture: Support for data sharing among mobile users,” in 1st IEEE Workshop on Mobile Computing Systems and Applications, 1994.
- M.H. Dunham and V. Kumar, “Impact of mobility on transaction management,” in ACM International Workshop on Data Engineering for Wireless and Mobile Access, 1999.
- FusionOne Inc., FusionOne Web Site, 2000, http://www.fusionone.com.
- J. Gray, P. Helland, P. O'Neill, and D. Shasha, “The dangers of replication and a solution,” in SIGMOD, pp. 173–182, 1996.
- Informix Inc., Cloudscape Synchronization Guide, http://www.informix.com.
- J.J. Kistler and M. Satyanarayanan, “Disconnected operation in the coda file system,” ACM Transactions on Computer Systems, vol. 10, no. 1, 1992.
- S.W. Lauzac and P.K. Chrysanthis, “Utilizing versions of views within a mobile environment,” Journal of Computing and Information, Special Issue: ICCI-98.
- S. Lee, C. Hwang, and H. Yu, “Supporting transactional cahce consistency in mobile database systems,” in ACM International Workshop on Data Engineering for Wireless and Mobile Access (MobiDE), 1999.
- Microsoft Corp., Microsoft SQL Server Hands-On Lab: Replication, http://www.microsoft.com.
- Microsoft Corp., Mobile Access in Exchange Server Tour, http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/evaluation/ti/tour/MA 1.asp.
- Oracle Corp., Oracle Lite Replication Guide, http://technet.oracle.com.
- T.W. Page, R.G. Guy, J.S. Heidemann, D.H. Ratner, P.L. Reiher, G.J. Popek A. Goe?, and G.H. Kuenning, “Perspectives on optimistically replicated peer-to-peer filing,” in Software-Practice and Experience, vol. 28, no. 2, 1998.
- Palm Inc., Conduit Development Kit, http://www.palm.com/.
- Palm Inc., Palm HotSync Server FAQ, http://www.palm.com.
- S. Phatak and B.R. Badrinath, “Conflict resolution and reconclilation in disconnected databases,” in MDDS 99, June 1999.
- S. Phatak and B.R. Badrinath, “Data partitioning for disconnected client-server databases,” in MobiDE '99.
- E. Pitoura and B. Bhargava, “Maintaining consistency of data in mobile distributed environments,” 1995.
- PUMATECH Inc., IntelliSync Anywhere for Lotus Notes, http://www.pumatech.com/.
- Starfish Software, Inc., TrueSync Technology, http://www.starfish.com.
- SyBase Inc., UltraLite Developer's Guide, http://sybooks.sybase.com.
- SyncML, SyncML Synchronization Protocol Specification, http://www.syncml.org/.
- L.H. Yeo and A. Zaslavsky, “Submission of transactions from mobile workstations in a cooperative multidatabase processing environment,” in International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems, 1994.
- Edison: Database-Supported Synchronization for PDAs
Distributed and Parallel Databases
Volume 15, Issue 2 , pp 95-116
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- synchronization PDA handheld
- Industry Sectors