Barriers to Assessment and Treatment of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder and Other Trauma-Related Problems in People with Severe Mental Illness: Clinician Perspectives
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We conducted a state-wide survey of 251 clinicians serving people with severe mental illness (SMI) in community support programs, to identify barriers to the diagnosis and treatment of PTSD and other trauma-related problems. Most clinicians did not feel competent to effectively treat these problems. Competence/confidence and belief in utility of intervention were positively related to the percentage of clients with whom trauma and PTSD had been discussed, documented in charts, and addressed directly in treatment. Clinicians need training that develops skills and knowledge as well as conveys the value of addressing PTSD and other trauma-related problems in people with SMI.
Supplementary Material (0)
- Adams, D. M., & Lehnert, K. L. (1997). Prolonged trauma and subsequent suicidal behavior: Child abuse and combat trauma reviewed. Journal of Traumatic Stress, 10, 619-634.
- APA. (1994). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (DSM-IV) (Fourth Edition— Revised ed.). Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association.
- Breslau, N., Davis, G. C., Andreski, P., & Peterson, E. (1991). Traumatic events and posttraumatic stress disorder in an urban population of young adults. Archives of General Psychiatry, 48, 216-222.
- Brown, E. S., Fulton, M. K., Wilkeson, A., & Petty, F. (2000). The psychiatric sequelae of civilian trauma. Comprehensive Psychiatry, 41, 19-23.
- Cascardi, M., Mueser, K. T., DeGiralomo, J., & Murrin, M. (1996). Physical aggression against psychiatric inpatients by family members and partners. Psychiatric Services, 47, 531-533.
- Craine, L. S., Henson, C. E., Colliver, J. A., & MacLean, D. G. (1988). Prevalence of a history of sexual abuse among female psychiatric patients in a state hospital system. Hospital and Community Psychiatry, 39, 300-304.
- Crane-Ross, D., Roth, D., & Lauber, B. G. (2000). Consumers' and case managers' perceptions of mental health and community support service needs. Community Mental Health Journal, 36, 161-178.
- Foa, E. B., Keane, T. M., & Friedman, M. J. (Eds.). (2000). Effective treatments for PTSD: Guidelines from the International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies. New York, NY: Guilford.
- Friedman, M. J., & Schnurr, P. P. (1995). The relationship between trauma, post-traumatic stress disorder, and physical health. In M. J. Friedman & D. S. Charney & A. Y. Deutch (Eds.), Neurobiological and clinical consequences of stress: From normal adaptation to post traumatic stress disorder (pp. 507-524). Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Raven.
- Frueh, B. C., Cusack, K. J., Hiers, T. G., Monogan, S., Cousins, V. C., & Cavenaugh, S. D. (2001). Improving public mental health services for trauma victims in South Carolina. Psychiatric Services, 52, 812-814.
- Goodman, L. A., Dutton, M. A., & Harris, M. (1997). The relationship between violence dimensions and symptom severity among homeless, mentally ill women. Journal of Traumatic Stress, 10, 51-69.
- Goodman, L. A., Rosenberg, S. D., Mueser, K. T., & Drake, R. E. (1997). Physical and sexual assault history in women with serious mental illness: Prevalence, correlates, treatment, and future research directions. Schizophrenia Bulletin, 23, 685-696.
- Goodman, L. A., Salyers, M. P., Mueser, K. T., Rosenberg, S. D., Swartz, M., Essock, S. M., Osher, F. C., Butterfield, M. I., & the 5 Site Health and Risk Study Research Committee. (2001). Recent victimization in women and men with severe mental illness: Prevalence and correlates. Journal of Traumatic Stress, 14, 615-632.
- Hidalgo, R. B., & Davidson, J. R. T. (2000). Posttraumatic stress disorder: Epidemiology and health-related considerations. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, 61, 5-13.
- Jumper, S. A. (1995). A meta-analysis of the relationship of child sexual abuse to adult psychological adjustment. Child Abuse and Neglect, 19, 715-728.
- Kessler, R. C., Sonnega, A., Bromet, E., Hughes, M., & Nelson, C. (1995). Posttraumatic stress disorder in the National Comorbidity Survey. Archives of General Psychiatry, 52, 1048-1060.
- Mueser, K. T., Goodman, L. B., Trumbetta, S. L., Rosenberg, S. D., Osher, F. C., Vidaver, R., Auciello, P., & Foy, D. W. (1998). Trauma and posttraumatic stress disorder in severe mental illness. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 66, 493-499.
- Mueser, K. T., Rosenberg, S. D., Goodman, L. A., & Trumbetta, S. L. (2002). Trauma, PTSD, and the course of schizophrenia: An interactive model. Schizophrenia Research, 53, 123-143.
- Mueser, K. T., Salyers, M. P., Rosenberg, S. D., Ford, J. D., Fox, L., & Auciello, P. (2001). A psychometric evaluation of trauma and PTSD assessments in persons with severe mental illness. Psychological Assessment, 13, 110-117.
- Najavits, L. M., Weiss, R. D., & Shaw, S. R. (1997). The link between substance abuse and posttraumatic stress disorder in women: A research review. American Journal on Addictions, 6, 273-283.
- Neumann, D. A., Houskamp, B. M., Pollock, V. E., & Briere, J. (1996). The long-term sequelae of childhood sexual abuse in women: A meta-analytic review. Child Maltreatment: Journal of the American Professional Society on the Abuse of Children, 1, 6-16.
- Penk, W., & Flannery, R. B. J. (2000). Psychosocial rehabilitation. In E. B. Foa & T. M. Keane & M. J. Friedman (Eds.), Effective treatments for PTSD: Guidelines from the International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies (pp. 224-246). New York, NY: Guilford.
- Resnick, H. S., Kilpatrick, D. G., Dansky, B. S., Saunders, B. E., & et al. (1993). Prevalence of civilian trauma and posttraumatic stress disorder in a representative national sample of women. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 61, 984-991.
- Rind, B., & Tromovitch, P. (1997). A meta-analytic review of findings from national samples on psychological correlates of child sexual abuse. Journal of Sex Research, 34, 237-255.
- Rind, B., Tromovitch, P., & Bauserman, R. (1998). A meta-analytic examination of assumed properties of child sexual abuse using college samples. Psychological Bulletin, 124, 22-53.
- Rosenberg, S. D., Drake, R. E., & Mueser, K. (1996). New directions for treatment research on sequelae of sexual abuse in persons with severe mental illness. Community Mental Health Journal, 32, 387-400.
- Rosenberg, S. D., Mueser, K. T., Friedman, M. J., Gorman, P. G., Drake, R. E., Vidaver, R. M., Torrey, W. C., & Jankowski, M. K. (2001). Developing effective treatments for posttraumatic disorders among people with severe mental illness. Psychiatric Services, 52, 1453-1461.
- Switzer, G. E., Dew, M. A., Thompson, K., Goycoolea, J. M., Derricott, T., & Mullins, S. D. (1999). Posttraumatic stress disorder and service utilization among urban mental health center clients. Journal of Traumatic Stress, 12, 25-39.
About this Article
- Barriers to Assessment and Treatment of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder and Other Trauma-Related Problems in People with Severe Mental Illness: Clinician Perspectives
Community Mental Health Journal
Volume 40, Issue 1 , pp 17-31
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Psychology, Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis, LD 124, 402 N. Blackford Street, Indianapolis, IN, 46202-3275
- 2. Department of Public Health and Preventative Medicine, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, USA
- 3. Department of Psychology, Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis, USA
- 4. Cecil G. Sheps Center for Health Services Research, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, USA